The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

A joke, yes?

trump did this, from the beginning, including keeping congressional dems out of the loop.

Partly tongue in cheek, yes, 

But, it got political, from opposite ends, back in February with the travel ban kerfluffle and SanFranNan telling folks to come on down to Chinatown...

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

SanFranNan telling folks to come on down to Chinatown

I know trump made a big deal about this, but she was trying to encourage tourism at a time when trump's admin wasn't adequately sounding the alarm bells.

I don't think encouraging tourism is remotely the same as trump's nationwide misinformation campaign and aggressive efforts to stamp out science and silence experts in a direct attempt to bolster his reelection chances.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I know trump made a big deal about this, but she was trying to encourage tourism at a time when trump's admin wasn't adequately sounding the alarm bells.

I don't think encouraging tourism is remotely the same as trump's nationwide misinformation campaign and aggressive efforts to stamp out science and silence experts in a direct attempt to bolster his reelection chances.

Do you agree then that when Trump implemented a travel ban to prevent the virus from coming to the US, that it was a good move? Or did you jump on the "that's racist" bandwagon?

Do you also feel that Democratic leadership did their best to assuage that situation?... or did they use Trump "misinformation campaign" , and continually fan the flames to assist them politically and get Trump ousted?

Because it worked, and as you yourself have commented, that were it not for Covid, Trump would have been re-elected. 

But sure, only Republicans made it political. 

• Plus1 2
Just now, DevoHusker said:

Do you agree then that when Trump implemented a travel ban to prevent the virus from coming to the US, that it was a good move? Or did you jump on the "that's racist" bandwagon?

Do you also feel that Democratic leadership did their best to assuage that situation?... or did they use Trump "misinformation campaign" , and continually fan the flames to assist them politically and get Trump ousted?

Because it worked, and as you yourself have commented, that were it not for Covid, Trump would have been re-elected. 

But sure, only Republicans made it political. 

Why are you so aggressively trying to equate what Democrats did and what trump did? I'm not understanding the rush to defend trump here.

I don't believe I commented much on the Covid travel ban. If you're referring to his Muslim country travel ban early in his term, yes, that was definitely motivated by racism.

If you could come up with some specific things Democrats did to "fan the flames" (?) during the pandemic, we could speak in an informed way about them. Without specifics I wouldn't know how to respond to whatever allegation against "Democratic leadership" you're making.

I have NOT commented that if it were not for Covid that trump would have been reelected. I have said exactly the opposite throughout the entirety of the campaign. I firmly believe that enough people were pissed off about the conduct of the previous four years that he was never going to be reelected.

I did not say ONLY Republicans made it political. This is a deliberate attempt to move the goalposts and I can't have a reasonable conversation with this kind of nonsense. I have only accused (correctly) trump of making the pandemic a political football.

Please actually read what I write and stop insinuating so many incorrect things. This was a lot.

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Why are you so aggressively trying to equate what Democrats did and what trump did? I'm not understanding the rush to defend trump here.

I don't believe I commented much on the Covid travel ban. If you're referring to his Muslim country travel ban early in his term, yes, that was definitely motivated by racism.

If you could come up with some specific things Democrats did to "fan the flames" (?) during the pandemic, we could speak in an informed way about them. Without specifics I wouldn't know how to respond to whatever allegation against "Democratic leadership" you're making.

I have NOT commented that if it were not for Covid that trump would have been reelected. I have said exactly the opposite throughout the entirety of the campaign. I firmly believe that enough people were pissed off about the conduct of the previous four years that he was never going to be reelected.

I did not say ONLY Republicans made it political. This is a deliberate attempt to move the goalposts and I can't have a reasonable conversation with this kind of nonsense. I have only accused (correctly) trump of making the pandemic a political football.

Please actually read what I write and stop insinuating so many incorrect things. This was a lot.

There is not an ounce of aggressiveness in my responses, and I am not defending Trump. I never have regarding Covid. 

I have no idea if you did or didn't support the travel ban. That's why I asked. And no, this was specifically in regards to the ban at the beginning of Covid, but good deflection. 

Regarding specifics, I don't have any handy, other than a running diatribe from Dems (not general public, I am talking politicians) that no matter what Trump said or did, it was wrong. Trump's response was bad and the bleach and HCQ episodes prove he didn't need help in making himself look stupid. But other than promoting mask wearing earlier and with more conviction, no one has been able to say what a Dem POTUS would have done any differently. State responses differed, and States were in charge of their own mandates. You cannot blame the POTUS (regardless of who it would have been) for State results. 

I will try to find the quote, and I will admit it may not have been you. But within the last couple of weeks you or @commandoor @Moirainesaid that it was hard to believe you were saying it, but without Covid he probably would have won reelection. 

You may not have said that ONLY Rep's made it political, but I sure don't recall you calling out anything against the left, which comes as no surprise. 

I always read what you write, because you comment more than anyone else. I was not insinuating anything other than your dreaded term "both sides" used the entire pandemic to further their political goals. 

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

There is not an ounce of aggressiveness in my responses, and I am not defending Trump. I never have regarding Covid. 

I have no idea if you did or didn't support the travel ban. That's why I asked. And no, this was specifically in regards to the ban at the beginning of Covid, but good deflection. 

Regarding specifics, I don't have any handy, other than a running diatribe from Dems (not general public, I am talking politicians) that no matter what Trump said or did, it was wrong. Trump's response was bad and the bleach and HCQ episodes prove he didn't need help in making himself look stupid. But other than promoting mask wearing earlier and with more conviction, no one has been able to say what a Dem POTUS would have done any differently. State responses differed, and States were in charge of their own mandates. You cannot blame the POTUS (regardless of who it would have been) for State results. 

I will try to find the quote, and I will admit it may not have been you. But within the last couple of weeks you or @commandoor @Moirainesaid that it was hard to believe you were saying it, but without Covid he probably would have won reelection. 

You may not have said that ONLY Rep's made it political, but I sure don't recall you calling out anything against the left, which comes as no surprise. 

I always read what you write, because you comment more than anyone else. I was not insinuating anything other than your dreaded term "both sides" used the entire pandemic to further their political goals. 

The bolded is a pretty terrible take, and I think you should think about why.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
On 1/26/2021 at 10:38 PM, mrandyk said:

Your source has a front page implying CNN is against free speech, transgenders being allowed to serve in the military is a PR stunt, a feature piece saying that teachers unions are holding the nation hostage, two different negative pieces on a second Trump impeachment, loads of ridicule on Biden, and one more piece saying you aren't a real journalist if you enjoy the new press secretary.

I don't know how you expect us to trust this article when there wasn't even one focus piece on Obama or the Clintons at the top of their front page.

Hmmmm.   Apparently Bloomberg agrees that the CNN story using “unnamed sources” was bogus all along.  Too bad it took them a week to figure out what the rest of us knew at the time.  

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Why don't you help me out? Are you saying that is not accurate?

You're talking as if no federal coordination, a s#!tty federal response, and a president actively refuting the science are things no one has any control over and would be the reality regardless of who is president, when it fact the president is a big factor in all 3 of those things.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

This kind of talk is a bit obnoxious, btw. knapp is often critical about the left/DNC. He made a post about something s#!tty they were doing in the past couple days.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

This kind of talk is a bit obnoxious, btw. knapp is often critical about the left/DNC. He made a post about something s#!tty they were doing in the past couple days.

So this is obnoxious, but you insisting that my best friend, whom you have never met, is stupid and brainwashed, when I assured you isnt accurate, because of his views is not obnoxious.

Got it.

• Plus1 2
Just now, DevoHusker said:

So this is obnoxious, but you insisting that my best friend, whom you have never met, is stupid and brainwashed, when I assured you isnt accurate, because of his views is not obnoxious.

Got it.

I didn’t claim it wouldn’t be obnoxious to you, but he doesn’t post here. I’m not trying to have a discussion with him. 

• Plus1 1