The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

He didn’t act very professional, but it is a good question that needs answered.  Since Fauci is the face of the Admin response, he would be the appropriate person to answer the question.   It could even give more motivation to those hesitant about the vaccine to go ahead and get scheduled knowing they are helping get us all closer to a full opening.  

No, he’s a disgusting idiot that needs to be gone.  

But, Republicans are so proud of him. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

No, he’s a disgusting idiot that needs to be gone.  

But, Republicans are so proud of him. 

Maybe so, maybe not but that’s the least important variable in this discussion and either way it doesn’t change that the question needs answered for the general public.  

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Maybe so, maybe not but that’s the least important variable in this discussion and either way it doesn’t change that the question needs answered for the general public.  

It can't be answered because there isn't a true answer. When infection and infection rates come down we will go back to normal. It's not as simple as some number, it's about the trends.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, ZRod said:

It can't be answered because there isn't a true answer. When infection and infection rates come down we will go back to normal. It's not as simple as some number, it's about the trends.

It can be answered in a statistical way.  Fauci could say when 80% of people get at least a single dose for instance.  He could say when the US hits Israel’s April 1 numbers for instance.  He could say when hospitalizations hit 5,000 for instance since infection rates do not matter as much because of who is vaccinated. 

• Plus1 2
44 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It can be answered in a statistical way.  Fauci could say when 80% of people get at least a single dose for instance.  He could say when the US hits Israel’s April 1 numbers for instance.  He could say when hospitalizations hit 5,000 for instance since infection rates do not matter as much because of who is vaccinated. 

So, Jordan could do another dog and pony show when I one of those numbers is hit and we wait another couple weeks to see what the trend is?

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Those are all guesses.  Nobody knows yet at what level we'll reach heard immunity.  It's a novel virus.  We really shouldn't be guessing about something that has killed close to 600,000 Americans.

How do you factor in the variants and their possible effects on the current vaccines or their level of contagiousness?  The R0 has to play into any decision and yet that changes with each variant and which variant is currently dominant.  If the virus was static in it's replication you might be able to come up with a clearer picture. 

The last thing we want to do is say at this number, that everything is fine and we then wind up right back where we were.  There's some indication that some of the new variants are hitting younger people much harder than before.  So saying we've vaccinated a certain percentage of people over 60 for instance so we're good to go could be disastrous. 

Would Jim Jordan have been happy with the answer "when this is no longer classified as a pandemic?".   I suspect he would have whined about any answer he was given other than "let's just go back to normal, this thing is over."

What states are still locked down pretty tightly?  And if you are in one of those states, and post here, what kind of restrictions do you have?

I don't feel that my 1A rights were ever really stepped on.  I don't think the "can't go to church" is a violation, there is online/tv service and you don't need to be in a the church to worship.

People clearly were assembling still and still are.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

So, Jordan could do another dog and pony show when I one of those numbers is hit and we wait another couple weeks to see what the trend is?

Jordan can do whatever he pleases.  Not sure why he is the important piece of the story to you?  The question and non answer is the important part of the story.  What is the threshold that society gets back to 2019 normal as a whole?  Some states are going that route now, but capacity limits and restrictions still exist in many others.  

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Scarlet said:
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Those are all guesses.  Nobody knows yet at what level we'll reach heard immunity.  It's a novel virus.  We really shouldn't be guessing about something that has killed close to 600,000 Americans.

It’s not a total guess like you make it out to be.  At some point lifting restrictions has to be made and I think society deserves to know what that point is.  Business owners deserve to know.  Schools age kids that still aren’t in school full time deserve to know.  

How do you factor in the variants and their possible effects on the current vaccines or their level of contagiousness? 

Much of this is currently being shown through current research.  

The last thing we want to do is say at this number, that everything is fine and we then wind up right back where we were. 

Again, at some point this decision has to made unless you plan on having restrictions indefinitely because of the possibility of an outbreak.  

Would Jim Jordan have been happy with the answer "when this is no longer classified as a pandemic?". 

I don’t know what he would have been happy with and I frankly don’t care because HE isn’t the story in my mind nor should he be in anyone’s mind.   It’s the question and answer to the question that is the story.  Doesn’t matter who asked it. 

• Plus1 2
28 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Jordan can do whatever he pleases.  Not sure why he is the important piece of the story to you?  The question and non answer is the important part of the story.  What is the threshold that society gets back to 2019 normal as a whole?  Some states are going that route now, but capacity limits and restrictions still exist in many others.  

Idk Fauchi never even got to answer the question because Jordan wouldn't let him speak. Everytime he began to give his rational he was interrupted.

8 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Idk Fauchi never even got to answer the question because Jordan wouldn't let him speak. Everytime he began to give his rational he was interrupted.

That was definitely a problem.  However, you must admit Fauci wasn’t jumping at the chance to give an answer to the question.  And Fauci could/should go on any show he pleases to give us all that information/answer.  Give people more incentive to get that vaccine even if they think they are in an age group that is relatively unaffected by COVID-19. 

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s not a total guess like you make it out to be.  At some point lifting restrictions has to be made and I think society deserves to know what that point is.  Business owners deserve to know.  Schools age kids that still aren’t in school full time deserve to know.  

Much of this is currently being shown through current research.  

Again, at some point this decision has to made unless you plan on having restrictions indefinitely because of the possibility of an outbreak.  

I don’t know what he would have been happy with and I frankly don’t care because HE isn’t the story in my mind nor should he be in anyone’s mind.   It’s the question and answer to the question that is the story.  Doesn’t matter who asked it. 

Ok shoot.  What parameters would you set?