The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

14 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

The anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, anti-mitigators, the science deniers, those who bought into this thing all being a hoax, would have had us in this situation too.  Horrific situation going on in India now.  

Considering that the continental US is about 3 times larger than India and the US population is almost 1 billion less than India...not quite apples to apples. Not to mention the housing and poverty issues there. 

• Plus1 2

18 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

The anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, anti-mitigators, the science deniers, those who bought into this thing all being a hoax, would have had us in this situation too.  Horrific situation going on in India now.  

I thought India was a major mask wearing country, is that not the case?

15 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1265598

From today.  

"Dr. Siddharth Sridhar, a clinical virologist from the University of Hong Kong’s Department of Microbiology, told NBC News that the spike in cases can be attributed to a very unfortunate combination of events."

You had very large public events going forward both in terms of election rallies as well as religious gatherings,” he said.

"“When you have that number of people coming together with evidence that mask-wearing and social distancing not being followed, it would really serve as an impetus for transmission.”"

11 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1265598

From today.  

"Dr. Siddharth Sridhar, a clinical virologist from the University of Hong Kong’s Department of Microbiology, told NBC News that the spike in cases can be attributed to a very unfortunate combination of events."

You had very large public events going forward both in terms of election rallies as well as religious gatherings,” he said.

"“When you have that number of people coming together with evidence that mask-wearing and social distancing not being followed, it would really serve as an impetus for transmission.”"

First of all, masks should be worn.  Let's get that out of the way (groundbreaking, I know).  But I'm a little perplexed at how simple the answer seems to be in all cases.

Cases go down --> 'Good job everyone, we're all wearing masks.'

Cases go up --> 'Stupid people not wearing masks'

Fallacy of the single cause - Wikipedia

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

First of all, masks should be worn.  Let's get that out of the way (groundbreaking, I know).  But I'm a little perplexed at how simple the answer seems to be in all cases.

Cases go down --> 'Good job everyone, we're all wearing masks.'

Cases go up --> 'Stupid people not wearing masks'

Fallacy of the single cause - Wikipedia

Where did I say masks were the sole cause?  

1 minute ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Your initial post seemed to indicate that anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers caused the situation in India, did it not?

If that was not your point, then I must've misunderstood.

Mitigation is a multifaceted approach.  I listed many facets of the approach, many of which a certain segment of our society will not follow. Some will not follow any of them.  Not following any one of those protective measures increases the chance of spread.  Pinpointing one as the cure-all or the source of a surge wasn't my point.  

• Plus1 1

Just now, Scarlet said:

Mitigation is a multifaceted approach.  I listed many facets of the approach, many of which a certain segment of our society will not follow. Some will not follow any of them.  Not following any one of those protective measures increases the chance of spread.  Pinpointing one as the cure-all or the source of a surge wasn't my point.  

Must have missed where you called out the 'many facets'.  Agree with the sentiment, though.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Scarlet said:

Must have missed where you called out the 'many facets'.  Agree with the sentiment, though.

Ok, you could throw a whole list of measures under "mitigation" including social distancing, rapid testing, increased testing, contact tracing, ventilation codes, etc.  I figured that was assumed. 

The point being, there are not a few people in our country, who wouldn't agree with any of these being implemented let alone any one of them, and many claimed "if you're scared stay home". 

My point was if these people had their way we'd be in a boat that looks a lot like India.  That includes anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers, science deniers, and those who disbelieved the whole pandemic.   

Sure the India/USA comparison is not apples to apples but remember when the Dakotas thought they'd never have a problem?  What happened next?  

1 minute ago, Scarlet said:

Ok, you could throw a whole list of measures under "mitigation" including social distancing, rapid testing, increased testing, contact tracing, ventilation codes, etc.  I figured that was assumed. 

The point being, there are not a few people in our country, who wouldn't agree with any of these being implemented let alone any one of them, and many claimed "if you're scared stay home". 

My point was if these people had their way we'd be in a boat that looks a lot like India.  That includes anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers, science deniers, and those who disbelieved the whole pandemic.   

Sure the India/USA comparison is not apples to apples but remember when the Dakotas thought they'd never have a problem?  What happened next?  

I think my basic issue was that when asked if Indians were wearing masks, you said ‘no’ and linked a couple articles that I guess were supposed to be evidence summing up the behavior of over a billion people. 

• Plus1 1

I think my basic issue was that when asked if Indians were wearing masks, you said ‘no’ and linked a couple articles that I guess were supposed to be evidence summing up the behavior of over a billion people. 

Ok, I'm lost. Was I supposed to say "yes" and link articles showing only 44% were wearing masks or articles stating that not social distancing and not wearing masks were possible causes to the current surge in India? 

I answered the question I was asked.  

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Scarlet said:

Ok, I'm lost. Was I supposed to say "yes" and link articles showing only 44% were wearing masks or articles stating that not social distancing and not wearing masks were possible causes to the current surge in India? 

I answered the question I was asked.  

You’re supposed to realize that there’s likely not a simple answer to the question, and that India is a big dense place with many different regions and practices. I linked an article too, that was just as assuming and oversimplified, but that was dismissed in favor of another article with general statements from a virologist. 

Googling ‘India doesn’t mask, right?’ And linking the first result is not research 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1