The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

5 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Many Americans haven't viewed covid as a serious threat for over a year now. And I'm not talking about a fringe of conspiracy right-wingers, I'm talking about all of us.

Even if we believe in our heads, we've mostly all been over it in how we live out our personal lives for a while now. Sure we'll wear masks or get tested when required, but unless you've got a unique scenario we're moving on as fast as we can.

• Thanks 2
6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m so tired of the stupidity. We are at Baxter arena for graduation. They hold basketball and hockey games here all year not requiring a mask. Graduation….mask required. 

Come on, it is just a mask.  Do you get mad when you have to wear a shirt or shoes???  

Hahaha

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Many Americans haven't viewed covid as a serious threat for over a year now. And I'm not talking about a fringe of conspiracy right-wingers, I'm talking about all of us.

Even if we believe in our heads, we've mostly all been over it in how we live out our personal lives for a while now. Sure we'll wear masks or get tested when required, but unless you've got a unique scenario we're moving on as fast as we can.

Yeah, I agree.  You have to either have some bad condition or be a little bit "out there" to not be moving on.

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know you’re joking. I don’t get mad.  It’s more of an eye roll and, are you kidding me?

Trust me, I know.

I just took my dog for a walk, outside right, and a walker had a mask on.

Was anyone actually enforcing the mask policy at Baxter?  

34 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Trust me, I know.

I just took my dog for a walk, outside right, and a walker had a mask on.

Was anyone actually enforcing the mask policy at Baxter?  

They were at the doors making you at least take a mask if you didn’t have one. Most people were wearing them. 

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

So if this chart keeps going up, as it looks like it will, we are looking at tough choices in about 6-8 weeks.

The first tough choice is going to be if schools go remote or not.  

There will probably be a fe teachers unions, the strong ones, Chicago, LA and NY, that  might push for remote.  With a lack of teachers and a huge lack of subs, there are a lot of employed teachers that are sick and tired of covering classes for short staffed buildings and this might be something they see as an "out"

Benefits:  Going remote SHOULD help stop the spread and I would guess will result in major teacher pay raises.  My golf game will improve because I will play more golf during the virtual school day.

Negatives:  Parents hate remote, kids don't accomplish as much, taxes will go up if teacher pay goes up.  And there will be a lot of mean tweets about how lazy teachers are.

On 5/7/2022 at 4:58 PM, BigRedBuster said:

They were at the doors making you at least take a mask if you didn’t have one. Most people were wearing them. 

At this point, with widely available vaccines, I tend to agree.

Masks made sense prior to the availability of vaccines and boosters. But at this point, severe COVID is largely a choice. If anti-vaxxers want to get COVID and potentially die because of MAGA, let them. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

So if this chart keeps going up, as it looks like it will, we are looking at tough choices in about 6-8 weeks.

The first tough choice is going to be if schools go remote or not.  

There will probably be a fe teachers unions, the strong ones, Chicago, LA and NY, that  might push for remote.  With a lack of teachers and a huge lack of subs, there are a lot of employed teachers that are sick and tired of covering classes for short staffed buildings and this might be something they see as an "out"

Benefits:  Going remote SHOULD help stop the spread and I would guess will result in major teacher pay raises.  My golf game will improve because I will play more golf during the virtual school day.

Negatives:  Parents hate remote, kids don't accomplish as much, taxes will go up if teacher pay goes up.  And there will be a lot of mean tweets about how lazy teachers are.

School's out, here at least, in 2 weeks 

I've had covid the last week. Really sick and bed ridden for 3 days. Fortunately, I didn't have any problems with breathing. Still have headaches, sore throat, hacking cough, and loss of energy after another 4 days. It's tenacious and doesn't want to go away.