Dem VP choice

VP Choice  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

58 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

To each his own, but "not hated" ?? Maybe you aren't talking to the right people. Or looking at polls where she's involved. She is consistently ranked as one of the most loved people in America and consistently tops hypothetical presidential polls and has for years. I know people who want her to run and love her. She would have easily beaten Biden. People don't care as much about experience as you think.

I strongly disagree.

58 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I think the comparison to Oprah and The Rock shows that you really underestimate how popular and respected Michelle Obama is, whether it's warranted or not.

Quick search I found YouGov popularity ratings:

Michelle Obama has a 57% favorable rating: "Michelle Obama is the 311th most popular all-time person and the 19th most famous."

Oprah Winfrey has a 52% favorable rating: "Oprah Winfrey is the 11th most popular contemporary TV personality and the most famous."

Dwayne Johnson has a 75% favorable rating: "Dwayne `The Rock` Johnson is the 8th most popular contemporary actor and the 32nd most famous."

But none of that really translates into whether Michelle Obama would be a good candidate or VP pick. For example from 2009:

Laura Bush Leaves White House as Popular Figure

The latest USA Today/Gallup poll finds 76% of Americans saying they have a favorable opinion of first lady Laura Bush. The public has viewed her very positively during George W. Bush's entire term as president, with her favorable ratings ranging between 63% and 80%.

Does that make Laura Bush a good VP candidate?

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No, 99% of the US population could not pick Laura Bush out of a lineup.  

Michelle is clearly really well known.

Alright. Well, I think Michelle Obama as the VP pick is a bad move. IMO it'll be viewed as positive by many of those already voting for Biden, and either neutral or off-putting by many of the rest of the voters.

For me personally, it'll be yet another in a series of mistakes the Biden campaign is making. Not sure how many of those it will be before the straw that broke my vote for Joe, but we'll see.

23 minutes ago, commando said:

all this over someone who has said she wouldn't be interested in the job even if it was offered.   dedhoarse

Well, Harris just said (last week) that she can't even concentrate on the idea of being VP and has yet to even think about or entertain the idea of being VP because all of her concentration, all 100% of it, is focused on the virus.

Sooooo..sometimes people say something...but they are lying.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Alright. Well, I think Michelle Obama as the VP pick is a bad move. IMO it'll be viewed as positive by many of those already voting for Biden, and either neutral or off-putting by many of the rest of the voters.

For me personally, it'll be yet another in a series of mistakes the Biden campaign is making. Not sure how many of those it will be before the straw that broke my vote for Joe, but we'll see.

I agree with you that it would be a bad move in the political sense.  But it could be a great move in the "getting votes" sense.

10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Again, what new votes is she getting that Biden doesn't already have? I just don't see many, if any.

I just feel like she would get a lot of new votes...Not the "on the fence about who to vote for" people...just the "Holy s#!t, she is the VP choice, I LOVE HER" crowd.  

I guess if I am thinking of women that are involved in politics, no matter how loosely we term that, she is probably #1 right now?  I don't mean that hse does/knows more than say, Harris, I just mean she is a bigger name.  I could be way off on that.

35 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I just feel like she would get a lot of new votes...Not the "on the fence about who to vote for" people...just the "Holy s#!t, she is the VP choice, I LOVE HER" crowd.  

I guess if I am thinking of women that are involved in politics, no matter how loosely we term that, she is probably #1 right now?  I don't mean that hse does/knows more than say, Harris, I just mean she is a bigger name.  I could be way off on that.

I guess I don't see it. Maybe there's a bunch of Repub and independent voters who love Michelle Obama enough to go out and vote for Biden, but I doubt it. I'm guessing much of the "I LOVE HER" crowd is already voting for Biden.

But as @commando already posted, she's unlikely to be the VP pick.

Poll: 1 in 5 voters prefer Sanders for Biden VP pick

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) tops the list of former Vice President Joe Biden’s potential running mates, according to a Harvard CAPS/Harris Poll survey released exclusively to The Hill.

The poll shows that 1 in 5 registered voters — 20 percent — prefer Sanders for Biden’s vice presidential slot, the highest support of any would-be running mate presented to respondents in the survey. 

The Harvard CAPS/Harris Poll survey, however, showed that the top-rated woman for the VP slot is Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), one of Biden’s former rivals for the Democratic presidential nomination. Thirteen percent of registered voters surveyed said that Biden should choose the Massachusetts senator as his running mate.

4 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Warren feels like a good compromise for all parties involved.

I guess. Which person is picked as the VP is far less important than what policy changes, if any, that person is actually going to get from the Biden campaign.