Dem VP choice

VP Choice  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Landlord said:

literally from the same article.

“A person with knowledge of Obama’s conversation with Buttigieg after the former Indiana mayor exited the race explained it this way: “Obama talked to Pete the night that Pete dropped out. When Pete told Obama that he was 99.9 percent of the way there in terms of endorsing Biden, I would say that Obama was encouraging. But I would also say that Obama was very careful not to be seen as putting a thumb on the scale. He and the people close to him are very careful about the optics — the 2016-style optics. Sanders and his supporters had reason to believe the party put the thumb on the scale for Hillary in 2016 and he wanted to avoid that. Obama wasn’t the driving force, but he was encouraging of people who had those instincts to rally around Biden. But he was very cautious and discreet in how he operated.”

Also I don’t think your quotes prove he was some driving force convincing people to back Biden. He’s had communication with every campaign including Sanders. The article only mentioned one convo wit me Mayor Pete and it says Mayor Pete was 99.9% on his way to endorsing Biden anyways. This hardly screams some DNC plan to screw Bernie like some people like to think it is.

23 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

literally from the same article.

“A person with knowledge of Obama’s conversation with Buttigieg after the former Indiana mayor exited the race explained it this way: “Obama talked to Pete the night that Pete dropped out. When Pete told Obama that he was 99.9 percent of the way there in terms of endorsing Biden, I would say that Obama was encouraging. But I would also say that Obama was very careful not to be seen as putting a thumb on the scale. He and the people close to him are very careful about the optics — the 2016-style optics. Sanders and his supporters had reason to believe the party put the thumb on the scale for Hillary in 2016 and he wanted to avoid that. Obama wasn’t the driving force, but he was encouraging of people who had those instincts to rally around Biden. But he was very cautious and discreet in how he operated.”

Also I don’t think your quotes prove he was some driving force convincing people to back Biden. He’s had communication with every campaign including Sanders. The article only mentioned one convo wit me Mayor Pete and it says Mayor Pete was 99.9% on his way to endorsing Biden anyways. This hardly screams some DNC plan to screw Bernie like some people like to think it is.

Not trying to argue with you, just providing an article that suggests some amount of subtle maneuvering by Obama, when according to your own words, "Nothing [you've] read suggests this at all." This article does indeeed suggest it at least a little bit.

• Plus1 1
On 4/10/2020 at 11:00 AM, Danny Bateman said:

Obama stayed mostly hands off by design. From what I just read he called Klob and Pete soon after the dropped out but fell short of actually telling them what to do.

My point is I don't share your belief the establishment would coalesce behind someone who is compromised. But you and I have widely different views of their competence.

On 4/10/2020 at 11:15 AM, FrantzHardySwag said:

^ This is outright false. Nothing I've read suggests this at all. Obama has been so quiet through this entire thing, and didn't want to put his thumb on the scale to sway anyone.

Looking for Obama's hidden hand in candidates coalescing around Biden

People close to Obama said the former president has been keeping close tabs on the race. They said the signal has been sent in the past 36 hours that he sees Biden as the candidate to back, and they don’t need Obama to say it publicly or privately.

Buttigieg endorsed Biden after reportedly speaking with Obama

22 hours ago, funhusker said:

There is no way a person can take that article seriously.

Well this is the time for wild speculation. 

Speaking of more speculation

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/election/article242037066.html

Kamala Harris is making a hard push on television. Amy Klobuchar is pitching herself as a voting rights champion. And Stacey Abrams is openly campaigning for the job.

As the Democratic Party closes rank around its presumed presidential nominee, an entirely new race is taking shape: the one to become Joe Biden’s running mate.

After wrapping up the primary earlier than expected, Biden has been holding high-level conversations with aides about his vice presidential options, and has taken the unorthodox step of publicly stating that he will select from a list of six to 10 women. He’s planning to empower a committee to formally begin the vetting process sometime this month.

4 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Electorally she would probably be an asset to Biden but there's just no way she'd ever want to go back to Washington.

Why would Michelle Obama be an asset as Biden's VP? If anything, I think it would hurt him because then he's just appointing people with no experience much like Trump.

17 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Why would Michelle Obama be an asset as Biden's VP? If anything, I think it would hurt him because then he's just appointing people with no experience much like Trump.

Not sure why you think people give a f#&% about experience, especially as compared to likeability.

Michelle Obama is one of the most popular people in the U.S. If she had run for president she would have won the Democratic nomination easily. She would bring out more voters. I think she's one of the few VP choices that could actually make much of a difference in the outcome.

That said she has said many, many times she has no interest.

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Not sure why you think people give a f#&% about experience, especially as compared to likeability.

Michelle Obama is one of the most popular people in the U.S. If she had run for president she would have won the Democratic nomination easily. She would bring out more voters. I think she's one of the few VP choices that could actually make much of a difference in the outcome.

Yeah I mean if the plan is to rebuild the Obama coalition who better to do it than an Obama? Given it's a bit apples to oranges but her approval rating always outpaced her husband's, sometimes by a hefty margin.

Biden already has the experience aspect of the ticket locked down. He needs someone who contrasts a bit with him and can make the ticket stronger where he is not. Michelle would probably singularly boost turnout among black women in particular but black voters overall to potential Obama-era levels (a big part of the reason Clinton lost in 2016 was it had dipped). If they believe the path to winning was to fire up your own base, she'd be a great pick. And if a major theme of the campaign is a return to decency, kindness and compassion she'd probably be the best choice imaginable.

But yeah there's no way it would ever happen.

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don't think she would have won the primaries. Who's going to vote for Biden with Michelle Obama as his VP that isn't voting for Biden now? And using myself as an example, if Biden picks her as his VP, then he's signalling to me he's not serious about the campaign or the Presidency and would make me reconsider whether I'd vote for Biden. It's the same nonsense as the people suggesting Oprah or The Rock as candidates.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

@RedDenver I've seen some things recently that have made me think Warren would make a lot stronger VP pick than I had previously thought.

How would you feel if she got the nod?

I'm not sure, depends on if it's just her being VP or there's policies that Biden would change because of her. Warren got into politics partly because of her opposition to Biden's (and Obama's) economic policies, so it'd be a pretty big sell-out move for her in particular. And it makes me wonder why Biden wouldn't just pick Bernie in that case. Is there something about Warren (other than Biden saying he wanted a female VP) that makes her a better VP or gets more votes for Biden's campaign?

I mean, Warren is more aligned with my policies than Manchin for example, but I'm not sure how much she's really going to push for policies that I want.

9 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I don't think she would have won the primaries. Who's going to vote for Biden with Michelle Obama as his VP that isn't voting for Biden now? And using myself as an example, if Biden picks her as his VP, then he's signalling to me he's not serious about the campaign or the Presidency and would make me reconsider whether I'd vote for Biden. It's the same nonsense as the people suggesting Oprah or The Rock as candidates.

I think you're vastly underestimating how much people like and respect Michelle Obama. Oprah and The Rock would not have had a chance, and I'm not sure why you chose them as a comparison. Obama has a law degree and her experience as first lady counts for something. And just pulling from wikipedia below, she has more and better experience than your 2 examples, but again, that's not that important to the average person. I know multiple people who aren't excited about Biden who love Michelle and like her more than they ever like Barrack.

Following law school, Obama became an associate at the Chicago office of the law firm Sidley & Austin, where she met her future husband Barack. At the firm, she worked on marketing and intellectual property law.[4] She continues to hold her law license, but as she no longer needs it for her work, she has kept it on a voluntary inactive status since 1993.[74][75]

In 1991, she held public sector positions in the Chicago city government as an Assistant to the Mayor, and as Assistant Commissioner of Planning and Development. In 1993, she became Executive Director for the Chicago office of Public Allies, a non-profit organization encouraging young people to work on social issues in nonprofit groups and government agencies.[26] She worked there nearly four years and set fundraising records for the organization that still stood 12 years after she left.[20] Obama later said that she had never been happier in her life prior to working "to build Public Allies".[76]

In 1996, Obama served as the Associate Dean of Student Services at the University of Chicago, where she developed the University's Community Service Center.[77] In 2002, she began working for the University of Chicago Hospitals, first as executive director for community affairs and, beginning May 2005, as Vice President for Community and External Affairs.[78]

She continued to hold the University of Chicago Hospitals position during the primary campaign of 2008, but cut back to part-time in order to spend time with her daughters as well as work for her husband's election.[79] She subsequently took a leave of absence from her job.[80]

• Thanks 1