Dem VP choice

VP Choice  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

The reason this narrative is getting pushed so heavily is Trump supporters don't want to have to talk about his record. Because it's abysmal and corrupt.

That is far from the only reason. Wide swaths of progressives are worried/convinced he has no chance to win.

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, Landlord said:

That is far from the only reason. Wide swaths of progressives are worried/convinced he has no chance to win.

.fwiw....Biden and Bernie are friends and both want to defeat trump...but that would be hard to tell from the bernie fans postings everywhere.   the fans seem to think biden is worse then trump.   

11 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Wide swaths of progressives also claim the contest was rigged by the establishment who pulled strings behind the scenes to avert a Bernie nomination.

Ask yourself, if that were the case, is it likely they would throw their entire weight behind a guy whose mind was failing him?

4 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Wide swaths of progressives also claim the contest was rigged by the establishment who pulled strings behind the scenes to avert a Bernie nomination.

Ask yourself, if that were the case, is it likely they would throw their entire weight behind a guy whose mind was failing him?

bernie threw his support to joe.  :dunno

14 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

The DNC has already proven itself out of touch with voters and misguided in actually fixing a primary before.

If they can mold Biden and use him as a mule or a bandwagon to protecting their own interests, then yes, absolutely.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, commando said:

bernie threw his support to joe.  :dunno

My point is that rightly or wrongly, a lot of progressives view the establishment as a puppet master of sorts continually bending politics to its will in smoke-filled backrooms.

To some extent that is true. For example, Jim Clyburn's endorsement may have singularly won Biden South Carolina - if not that it certainly helped create the blowout it became. Which set the entire stage for Biden's romp from there on out.

Clyburn and others are surely in regular communication with Biden and other candidates. If he were really as mentally feeble as some people purport him to be, would they all rush to line up behind him and push him over the finish line when his campaign was struggling early on? Or would they move heaven and Earth to elevate any one of the other promising candidates like Buttigieg or Klobuchar or even get behind Bloomberg?

Simple logic dictates the mythical establishment would have done everything possible to avert a compromised Biden being the nominee.

4 minutes ago, Landlord said:

The DNC has already proven itself out of touch with voters and misguided in actually fixing a primary before.

If they can mold Biden and use him as a mule or a bandwagon to protecting their own interests, then yes, absolutely.

This hews pretty closely to "Dems would actually rather lose to Trump" territory. Do you believe that?

1 minute ago, Danny Bateman said:

This hews pretty closely to "Dems would actually rather lose to Trump" territory. Do you believe that?

I think the Dems would rather lose to Trump than have Bernie win, at the very least. 

Obviously they'd prefer Biden win over Trump. But they've either got something else planned, or they're stupid and out of touch enough to believe that Biden is a lock. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
Just now, Landlord said:

I think the Dems would rather lose to Trump than have Bernie win, at the very least. 

Obviously they'd prefer Biden win over Trump. But they've either got something else planned, or they're stupid and out of touch enough to believe that Biden is a lock. 

What does this mean?

I don't think anyone ever thinks any election is a lock.

Sadly I think you're right about the Bernie losing piece. I'm sure some folks high in the leadership positions would've wanted that as badly as Bernie torched them. I would of course have supported him wholeheartedly but ultimately was pretty sure he would lose in the general.

23 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

The establishment definitely pulled every string they had to prevent Bernie from getting the nomination. There's even now praise for Obama organizing and executing the plan to get the candidates to unite behind Biden.

But that's not the same as rigging the primary. The voters chose Biden.

23 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Did you follow the primary? The establishment gave the other candidates every chance to win, and only at the last minute did they support Biden because it was the only way to stop Bernie. The establishment could have united behind Biden at any time and would have much earlier if he was a strong candidate.

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The establishment definitely pulled every string they had to prevent Bernie from getting the nomination. There's even now praise for Obama organizing and executing the plan to get the candidates to unite behind Biden.

But that's not the same as rigging the primary. The voters chose Biden.

Did you follow the primary? The establishment gave the other candidates every chance to win, and only at the last minute did they support Biden because it was the only way to stop Bernie. The establishment could have united behind Biden at any time and would have much earlier if he was a strong candidate.

Obama stayed mostly hands off by design. From what I just read he called Klob and Pete soon after the dropped out but fell short of actually telling them what to do.

My point is I don't share your belief the establishment would coalesce behind someone who is compromised. But you and I have widely different views of their competence.

8 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Obama stayed mostly hands off by design. From what I just read he called Klob and Pete soon after the dropped out but fell short of actually telling them what to do.

My point is I don't share your belief the establishment would coalesce behind someone who is compromised. But you and I have widely different views of their competence.

I think that's going to change now that Joe is the nominee. 

As far as VP, I think Stacey Abrams is the front runner for that. I think Gavin Newsom would make an interesting VP, but I'm betting he's going to run in 2024 if Trump wins or 2028 if Biden wins. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

There's even now praise for Obama organizing and executing the plan to get the candidates to unite behind Biden.

^ This is outright false. Nothing I've read suggests this at all. Obama has been so quiet through this entire thing, and didn't want to put his thumb on the scale to sway anyone.

8 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

^ This is outright false. Nothing I've read suggests this at all. Obama has been so quiet through this entire thing, and didn't want to put his thumb on the scale to sway anyone.

There is a reason for that...

Obama is smart.  He doesn't want to taint he legacy with anyone that D's have to offer right now.

11 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/09/barack-obama-joe-biden-2020-campaign-178115

“Over the last few weeks, he’s had multiple conversations with candidates, including Sen. Sanders, about how to best position the Democratic Party to win in November,” said a source familiar with those calls. “While the content of those conversations remain private, there was always agreement that winning in the fall was paramount.”

...Obama’s aides forcefully reiterated that he was scrupulously not intervening.

But some of his aides now concede that behind the scenes Obama played a role in nudging things in Biden’s direction at the crucial moment when the Biden team was organizing former candidates to coalesce around Biden.

“I know he did a few things,” said one longtime close adviser to Obama. “He was talking to Biden regularly in that period. I don’t know exactly what he said, but you can speculate! It’s noteworthy that he called Klobuchar and the others right when they got out.”

• Thanks 1