***The 2020 Offensive Line***

Nothing like a 1 yd drive to start off the game.  OL played well though on Sat and even though Benhart had the one chincy holding call he played well again too.

Honestly we need and i hope this stat improves.  I wouldn't exactly call it :Fire:

Guys seem to really like Austin which is a big positive.

• Plus1 1

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I have been very surprised at how bad Benhart has been playing lately.

It sure seems like if there's a speed rush on the right side of the line, Martinez is dead meat.

Yeah, that was pretty bad Saturday.  On the first one it looked like he was checking inside first so he was late getting to the outside.  But there wasn't anyone else to block outside so that HAD to be the guy he takes.  I was wondering if he did that again on the second one but it didn't seem like it.  Just didn't get there.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, that was pretty bad Saturday.  On the first one it looked like he was checking inside first so he was late getting to the outside.  But there wasn't anyone else to block outside so that HAD to be the guy he takes.  I was wondering if he did that again on the second one but it didn't seem like it.  Just didn't get there.

There was one where it almost looked like he stopped moving backwards to engage the block and the guy just basically ran around him.  It just baffled me.  

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have been very surprised at how bad Benhart has been playing lately.

It sure seems like if there's a speed rush on the right side of the line, Martinez is dead meat.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This is why I'd love to have Jaimes back for one more year, it's just really hard to be a good Big Ten lineman as a redshirt freshman. Benhart is going to be great (and at times is really good), but the past couple weeks teams have really been taking advantage of him. It's not just speed, he got bullrushed into Martinex against Purdue - they had 3 sacks the entire year heading into our game.

He and Piper both have had their struggles, I'm expecting a leap in consistency in year 2. Not plugging in another redshirt freshman would probably help - in my perfect world, next year we go Jaimes - Piper - Jurgens - Corcoran - Benhart. Get Corcoran some experience without leaving him out on an island. Although I'd be surprised if Jaimes is back, I think he'll make it to the NFL.