Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

What/who were you responding to specifically, Guy?

Mostly this paragraph from Hilltopper, and similar posts about individual liberties:

Regardless of location, I am talking to more and more people who disagree with the society protection methods.  I don't believe it's the governments job to protect us from ourselves.  Imo, each individual should have the right to make decisions about their own health.  By all means, wear a mask, limit exposure time etc if you so choose.  To me, that means that individual players should be given the opportunity to choose whether or not to play.  Most of these kids want to play football and I believe we should let them play.     

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Keeping in mind that from a public health perspective, someone walking around with a highly contagious disease deserves all the rights and protections afforded a drunk driver. 

I don't believe a persons health is mentioned anywhere in the constitution.  If you want to live somewhere that people are told what and when to do something throughout every aspect of their lives, feel free to move to communist country.    

I know many people who would gladly catch this and move forward if they had the opportunity.  Several of them are football players.

By the way, as you and Branno have told me in the past, try to stay on topic.      

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

I know many people who would gladly catch this and move forward if they had the opportunity.

None of those people know if by catching it once they would develop immunity, or if, like the flu, you can get this thing multiple times.

This idea of "herd immunity" is great, but we have no idea if this virus behaves this way. I'd love to get it & be done with it (and honestly I think I had it in early March), but without knowing if you can develop immunity this is a pretty dangerous way of thinking, right?

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

True - it's possible.

But based on on a lifetime of information on how this country operates - especially at this level - I highly doubt it's the primary motivation.

We definitely are a litigious bunch. But I think you get the lawsuits when someone knowingly exposes you to risks you didn't sign up for. If teachers are in the high risk group, or simply decline the daily exposure, I don't know if you can force them to teach. If you don't even attempt to use masks -- the single easiest deterrent -- it hurts your case, for either a future lawsuit or simply getting schools to open this fall. I think right now schools are genuinely trying to do everything they can to soothe students, parents, teachers, and public health officials. Nobody has a good playbook to follow.

Agree with Hilltop that our perspectives are definitely skewed by where we live. I understand there are big parts of the country that really have no idea what the fuss is about. Hope it stays that way. The coming month will say a lot.

11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We definitely are a litigious bunch. But I think you get the lawsuits when someone knowingly exposes you to risks you didn't sign up for. If teachers are in the high risk group, or simply decline the daily exposure, I don't know if you can force them to teach. If you don't even attempt to use masks -- the single easiest deterrent -- it hurts your case, for either a future lawsuit or simply getting schools to open this fall. I think right now schools are genuinely trying to do everything they can to soothe students, parents, teachers, and public health officials. Nobody has a good playbook to follow.

As usual, good post.

Unions tend to make things of this nature more complicated, and this situation is no exception.

11 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I don't believe a persons health is mentioned anywhere in the constitution.  If you want to live somewhere that people are told what and when to do something throughout every aspect of their lives, feel free to move to communist country.    

I know many people who would gladly catch this and move forward if they had the opportunity.  Several of them are football players.

By the way, as you and Branno have told me in the past, try to stay on topic.      

Keep in mind that the coronavirus has hit virtually every country in the world, and countries with wildly different governments have issued pretty strong restrictions — temporarily.  This isn't a commie plot.

You may know people who would gladly catch COVID and move forward, but I bet you know people who wouldn't. Some would no doubt die. Or give it to a parent who would die. Or a stranger who was never consulted. It can be pretty nasty and scarring for survivors, too. So like the drunk driver who insists he's fine, the COVID carrier can't just exercise his freedom on any public road. 

No one said this doesn't suck. 

Just now, Undone said:

Unions tend to make things of this nature more complicated, and this situation is no exception.

Yep. And swinging it back on topic, the NBA and MLB are desperate to resume play, but when the players unions sit down with management, the scenarios start looking even sketchier, and management can't provide much reassurance. This comes on top of the fact that unions don't trust management to begin with. 

Everyone is waiting for a sport to reopen and work so they can copy it. Right now Korean baseball is as close as it gets. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Keep in mind that the coronavirus has hit virtually every country in the world, and countries with wildly different governments have issued pretty strong restrictions — temporarily.  This isn't a commie plot.

You may know people who would gladly catch COVID and move forward, but I bet you know people who wouldn't. Some would no doubt die. Or give it to a parent who would die. Or a stranger who was never consulted. It can be pretty nasty and scarring for survivors, too. So like the drunk driver who insists he's fine, the COVID carrier can't just exercise his freedom on any public road. 

People straight up don't understand the domino effect. Thats great that individuals don't mind taking on more risk, but they don't wrap their heads around the fact that it could inadvertently put others at risk. If hospitals fill up because of lax COVID restrictions, we're talking heart transplants that can't take place, trauma patients that can't be cared for, elective surgeries on hold - all due to a strained system with a lack of resources. 

• Plus1 5
3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

A Covid-19 carrier can walk freely in our country without breaking any laws, regardless of your opinions.  Covid-19 isn't going to be stopped by a vaccine or more economy crippling mandates.  There is a good chance this will be with us for many years and will only be curbed by some herd immunity.  People need to adjust as they see fit.  As a country we are not capable of continuing the way we have the last several months.  Many people realize that and are either courageously or blindly moving forward with their lives.

I also believe that much of the message we are being fed is political.  I expect a softening of the messages within weeks after the election this fall because even our government, regardless of who wins the election, knows we can't continue this charade.

Can football happen this fall.  Of course it can but will the party trying to get into office allow it?  Time will tell.       

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I'm honestly trying to find a modern day Republican who is not a hypocrite.  They always play the "Constitution" card until they don't. Maybe you're that 1% who isn't a hypocrite..  So you're ok with gay marriage, flag burning, a women's right to her body, and the right to protest, right?

C'mon. There's a whole forum for this.

• Thanks 3

Being OK with something is not the same as regulating it by law/rule.  A lot of men have fought and died for our freedoms.  I stand up for those freedoms- even the ones that I may or may not be ok with personally.  I would not support laws preventing gay marriage, flag burning etc.

My apologies for the political tone to the post previously.  I do believe it relates strongly to the topic but i digress.  

6 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I'm honestly trying to find a modern day Republican who is not a hypocrite.  They always play the "Constitution" card until they don't. Maybe you're that 1% who isn't a hypocrite..  So you're ok with gay marriage, flag burning, a women's right to her body, and the right to protest, right?

As Knapp said above take the political post somewhere else. This post is bound to derail too far from topic.