The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Ulty said:

This.

I mean, Tim Scott comes across as much more level-headed than most others in the GOP these days and seems willing to actually engage in civil discourse, which is refreshing.

However, he refuses to say anything that he disagrees with Trump about or distance himself from Trump in any meaningful way. Then when I was visiting Iowa last week, I saw a deluge of TV ads for Tim Scott, where he blathers on about Biden's America being a place for participation trophies and "transgender ideology" ruining women's sports. This is just more culture war bull$h!t that has nothing to do with policy or sanity. So Tim Scott can fund sand, too.

As long as any of these candidates try to avoid offending Trump and prioritize his cult as opposed to actually governing, they are all going to be crazy losers. Chris Christie is the only one willing to take that track, but he has as much Trump stink on him as anyone else given his prior involvement. They need to rebuild from scratch. I guess neither party has much interest in meaningfully developing a new class of future candidates.

I am all over Timmy S!

Dude is the best candidate out there for either party.  He is totally normal, he realizes that 99% of all issues are easy to fix because they are black or white, he understands nuance but knows how to deal with it.  

Which of course means he has no chance of winning because 99% of voters obsess over making things difficult, pretending like every issue is 50 shades of gra(e)y, and think that the word and enjoy bickering.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

You can count on one hand the number of Republicans who have actually condemned his demagogueary. 

That's not true. Plenty of them condemned it and him... however, almost all of them then did an about face once he locked up the nom and started trying to stay in the good graces of the mob boss.

1 minute ago, Lorewarn said:

That's not true. Plenty of them condemned it and him... however, almost all of them then did an about face once he locked up the nom and started trying to stay in the good graces of the mob boss.

Correct.  Once they found out it was not political suicide, but rather music to the grassroots party member's ears, they embraced it.  I don't really consider that condemnation heartfelt when it's so easily cast aside for power.

On 7/13/2023 at 10:53 PM, Lorewarn said:

Ignore your removed outsider armchair diagnosis for a moment. What about the results of his presidency have been poor?

Border. Inflation. Economy (I am having to let folks go at work). Focusing efforts in areas I don’t care about. Afghanistan withdrawal. Don’t like his Supreme Court appointment so far. China foreign policy. I like the support for Ukraine, but at this point we can dial it back and focus on the US. What should I like?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1

17 hours ago, teachercd said:

I am all over Timmy S!

Dude is the best candidate out there for either party.  He is totally normal, he realizes that 99% of all issues are easy to fix because they are black or white, he understands nuance but knows how to deal with it.  

Which of course means he has no chance of winning because 99% of voters obsess over making things difficult, pretending like every issue is 50 shades of gra(e)y, and think that the word and enjoy bickering.  

He isn’t normal. He is A spineless republican just like the rest. Only he is running is to try to get the minority vote for the pubs. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
17 hours ago, teachercd said:

I am all over Timmy S!

Well the best way to deal with nuance is to pretend every issue is black or white. Within minutes of crafting any serious policy, you realize it's neither black nor white nor easy. 

• Plus1 1

20 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

All (yes all) others have pretty much the same asinine policy positions and character flaws as Trump….

I am not sure that is possible. Quite a few extreme flaws. I mean all politicians are egomaniacs and they lie. They are all power hungry and think they are untouchable. Trump has actually gotten worse over time. Maybe he just doesn't bother to try and hide it and other succeed to varying degrees. Even AOC and folks like her get corrupted over time. 

3 hours ago, nic said:

Border. Inflation. Economy (I am having to let folks go at work). Focusing efforts in areas I don’t care about. Afghanistan withdrawal. Don’t like his Supreme Court appointment so far. China foreign policy. I like the support for Ukraine, but at this point we can dial it back and focus on the US. What should I like?

As somebody pointed out earlier, the global pandemic had massive effects on the global economy, and the U.S. rode it out and emerged considerably better than almost every country in the world, including China. Something similar might have happened had Trump remained in office, and I guarantee you he would be lauding these same economic numbers as evidence of America's resilience, as would the Republican messaging. The fact that opponents want to measure the success of Presidents by fluctuating gas prices suggests we aren't good at this kind of analysis. At the end of the day, the economy is doing better than many expected and predicted. There's actually a lot America should be celebrating right now.

Biden deserves points for infrastructure, lowering the price of insulin, and shoring up U.S. silicon chip manufacturing against an Asian monopoly. There's a lot of stuff that that flies under the radar but does meaningful things. The Afghan withdrawl was a s#!tshow, but it was mandated by Donald Trump's timetable and the Bush administration's actions in the first place. The intelligence community was keenly aware Kabul was destined to fall, but wildly underestimated the speed of the surrender. Horrible optics but not exactly a Joe Biden policy decision. 

If you're conservative, I guess you'd have to dislike Biden's Supreme Court appointment, but given the political activism of a very right wing majority it's not very sporting to hold Brown's appointment against Biden, especially when the SC is making decision that run counter to majority public opinion. Or to put it another way, what should I like about Clarence Thomas?

Every President has to walk the tightrope with China; our global superpower rival, but also our most valuable trade partner.  I've heard Biden criticized as weak on China, not to mention the conspiracy theorists who claim China was behind his fraudulent election, but the record shows Biden being both as tough and accommodating as his predecessors. Do you have any specifics about Biden's China foreign policy that aren't working for you? 

And what is Biden focusing on that you don't care about? If it's culture issue stuff, a lot of that has been ginned up by the opposition, ironically spending far too much of their own focus and energy on something that doesn't really affect them, but makes for great divisive theater.  

And of course the biggest thing to like about Biden is that he's not Donald Trump. Sounds silly, but that's just where we are. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • TBH 2

@nic will be so proud of himself when finds out he handed off his children's future to an authoritarian regime where only the oligarchs thrive.  Sure that statement will be brushed aside as hyperbole but only by those who have repeatedly tried to whitewash all we have witnessed in the attempt to topple our democracy.  It's like the attention span is so frazzled that January 6th, just as one example, has been forgotten.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, nic said:

What should I like?

There's a good number of things you should like. While inflation is an issue that arose globally outside of any president's control, the US is the least inflated country in the world. Record job numbers. Record unemployment numbers. Massive infrastructure improvements. Massive manufacturing investments. Biggest investment in climate change in history. Got us out of the longest war in the history of our country even though it was ugly. Cut child poverty in half. Prescription drug price caps and reductions esp for seniors. Not just supporting Ukraine but successfully rallying the rest of the world into a united front in supporting Ukraine and strengthening our relationships with NATO and our allies. PACT Act. CHIPS act. Just a few things you should like.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
  • TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election