The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, TGHusker said:

For sure --  each state would matter as no region would have enough weight to proclaim a winner -- 4 regions one in Feb, Mar, April and May -  or start in March etc  Maybe the 1st region is the smallest - least amount of influence on the others - then the candidates have 1 month to campaign in the next region

I don’t think they need that much time.  Split it into 4-5 regions of similar influence. That’s how each state matters.  The entire primary process shouldn’t be more than 2 months. Maybe May and June.  Done. 

Or, a single day like @Archy1221 proposed.  

We have to cut down on the length of our elections. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

We have to cut down on the length of our elections.

Yes sir!   It just seems like politics is one big perpetual election cycle with little time to govern because “it’s an election year, or the next election is starting”. 

Also, the 5% of Iowa caucus voters and 20-30% of NH primary voters have way way way too much influence on who moves forward because of the momentum aspect and the whole people want to back a winner mindset that perpetuates politics.  

• Plus1 3

22 hours ago, funhusker said:

I'm a registered Republican in Nebraska so I can vote for reasonable candidates that will hopefully beat MAGA run against dems in the GE.  

Even though it didn't mean a thing, it has been fun to vote against Trump going on 5 times now...

Having watched you post for years, it would appear your values are closer to Democrats than Republicans, regardless of Trump. 

So how does that shake out in Nebraska elections? Charlie Herbster was every bit as nuts as Trump, but got major endorsements and made it a race. In any other scenario, Jim Pillen plays to the MAGA crowd, but did he feel like the "reasonable" candidate just because he was the best chance for avoiding Herbster? Did you favor a guy like Lindstrom, and does Lindstrom's showing suggest the more urban Republicans still have no chance in a MAGA state?

20 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Having watched you post for years, it would appear your values are closer to Democrats than Republicans, regardless of Trump. 

So how does that shake out in Nebraska elections? Charlie Herbster was every bit as nuts as Trump, but got major endorsements and made it a race. In any other scenario, Jim Pillen plays to the MAGA crowd, but did he feel like the "reasonable" candidate just because he was the best chance for avoiding Herbster? Did you favor a guy like Lindstrom, and does Lindstrom's showing suggest the more urban Republicans still have no chance in a MAGA state?

I voted for Lindstrom in the primary but Blood in GE.  I would by far prefer Dem policies, but I know its not gonna happen here.  Might as well do my part to make sure the Rep candidate isn't a total clown.

Yes, rural Nebraska republicans are very MAGA.  I don't even go out when I go back to my parents because it's like people there make a point to talk about how bad Omaha is and how shouldn't live close to that "hell hole".  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I voted for Pillen in the primary but not in GE.  I would by far prefer Dem policies, but I know its not gonna happen here.  Might as well do my part to make sure the Rep candidate isn't a total clown.

You seem to sum up a lot of the HuskerBoard sentiment.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but it would be interesting if more people voted for what they far prefer, and found out they were in a majority that had been giving a minority way too much power. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You seem to sum up a lot of the HuskerBoard sentiment.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but it would be interesting if more people voted for what they far prefer, and found out they were in a majority that had been giving a minority way too much power. 

The best thing NE Dems could do, is vote in Rep primaries.  Most rural folks are going to coalesce around the "R" in a general election, might as well dope them into voting for a more liberal candidate that isn't a dips#!t.  It would also bring actual Republicans back to rationality.

• Plus1 2
15 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Joe “The Big Guy” Biden got over 81 million voters in 2020.  Trump didn’t :hellloooo

So……now that everything is going great one would assume Joe will gain some voters or at the very least keep everything he has.   As @teachercd has explained, who is gonna vote Trump that voted Joe last time.  

Now back to the people you call “dips#!ts”.   The “dips#!ts” are helping because for every “dips#!t” that writes in a candidate, Trump will have to gain someone else just to lose by the same margin.   

Hope that helps :thumbs

Sure, you could make the case that things have been going great under Biden, and he will use the incumbency to roll to reelection.

But there is a concerted effort to paint the opposite picture; an inflationary economy in freefall and a generic loss of faith in America. If gas prices are higher one week, that too. A genuine problem with immigration, but one Republicans are loathe to address because it's great campaign fodder. And if Joe Biden forgets the name of a local politician at a fundraiser, it apparently negates dozens of bats#!t utterance by Donald Trump the same week. There are even posters on HuskerBoard that maintain this false narrative, even as they assure us they will never vote for Trump. Again.

Since facts and logic were thrown out the window long ago, Donald Trump's chances for winning the GE remain disturbingly high. Again, Donald Trump doesn't have to gain votes. Joe Biden just has to lose them. That's where the "enthusiasm gap" becomes relevant. Using techercd as your voice of reason is a dangerous game.

For the record, any Democrat who writes in a candidate other than Joe Biden is a dips#!t. Any Republican who writes in a candidate other than Donald Trump is a true American hero. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

I voted for Lindstrom in the primary but Blood in GE.  I would by far prefer Dem policies, but I know its not gonna happen here.  Might as well do my part to make sure the Rep candidate isn't a total clown.

Yes, rural Nebraska republicans are very MAGA.  I don't even go out when I go back to my parents because it's like people there make a point to talk about how bad Omaha is and how shouldn't live close to that "hell hole".  

Oh my god, when state wrestling moved to Omaha...this is all us coaches here in Omaha heard from our hill-William coaching friends in central and western Nebraska.

"I am not going there, sorry, but THE CRIME!"

With that said, I have had to to go conferences for teaching and matches for wrestling out in central and sort of western NE and I did not want to go there at all...mostly because of the drive. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Sure, you could make the case that things have been going great under Biden, and he will use the incumbency to roll to reelection.

But there is a concerted effort to paint the opposite picture; an inflationary economy in freefall and a generic loss of faith in America. If gas prices are higher one week, that too. A genuine problem with immigration, but one Republicans are loathe to address because it's great campaign fodder. And if Joe Biden forgets the name of a local politician at a fundraiser, it apparently negates dozens of bats#!t utterance by Donald Trump the same week. There are even posters on HuskerBoard that maintain this false narrative, even as they assure us they will never vote for Trump. Again.

Since facts and logic were thrown out the window long ago, Donald Trump's chances for winning the GE remain disturbingly high. Again, Donald Trump doesn't have to gain votes. Joe Biden just has to lose them. That's where the "enthusiasm gap" becomes relevant. Using techercd as your voice of reason is a dangerous game.

For the record, any Democrat who writes in a candidate other than Joe Biden is a dips#!t. Any Republican who writes in a candidate other than Donald Trump is a true American hero. 

Hey!!!  Haha

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Yes sir!   It just seems like politics is one big perpetual election cycle with little time to govern because “it’s an election year, or the next election is starting”. 

Also, the 5% of Iowa caucus voters and 20-30% of NH primary voters have way way way too much influence on who moves forward because of the momentum aspect and the whole people want to back a winner mindset that perpetuates politics.  

This is true, it's why Democrats moved South Carolina  up their calendar. I do wonder if Republicans can do the same. 

This year, however, it's likely that Trump was going to win regardless. His weakest states are Iowa, NH, etc. If different Republican candidates are unable to beat him there, it's unlikely they will beat him in any other meaningful primary. 

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Oh my god, when state wrestling moved to Omaha...this is all us coaches here in Omaha heard from our hill-William coaching friends in central and western Nebraska.

"I am not going there, sorry, but THE CRIME!"

With that said, I have had to to go conferences for teaching and matches for wrestling out in central and sort of western NE and I did not want to go there at all...mostly because of the drive. 

My brother was legitimately worried during the BLM protests that "those people" were going to come to my neighborhood out by Elkhorn and burn my house down.  It's sad...

Just now, funhusker said:

My brother was legitimately worried during the BLM protests that "those people" were going to come to my neighborhood out by Elkhorn and burn my house down.  It's sad...

Walmart did close up and sort of barricade up one of the nights.  I know because I went there to buy a huge handle of cheap vodka and they were closing blocking the doors.

So a lot of people must have been worried.  I just remember being worried that I would have to go to a different store to get my vodka.  Luckily, I was able to get it!

Moral of the story:  Always have booze at home. 

Wait...why did he think that just your house would be targeted and burnt down?  Or did he just mean the houses in Elkhorn. 

• Plus1 1
  • TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election