The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

“Here’s a s#!t sandwich. You can eat it or go hungry.

If you put a little mustard and some mayo in there, it’ll taste better.

I don’t understand why I haven’t gotten anybody who doesn’t love s#!t sandwiches to eat this thing!”

Are you referencing the monstrosity trying to come out of the Senate? I would agree with you!!

7 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Here’s the thing.   If Schumer would take up the bill and add in/subtract what the Senate wants, a negotiation is then started between the two houses of Congress.   Issues like immigration caps, combined with funding for processing and security are discussed.  But hardliners like Schumer won’t allow the process to happen. 

.... they don't want to negotiate. It was Senate Republicans idea to negotiate a stand alone immigration bill tying aid to Ukraine with immigration compromise. I'm not an expert on Senate rule making, but I don't think they can add things like military aid to Ukraine to an Immigration bill like HR2 that already went through the house. 

But - THROUGH ADMISSION - large numbers of Republicans don't want to fix the border because it's anger fodder for the Republican base that will never punish themwith their voting choices.

I don't know what to tell you on this one Archy. The evidence on the Republican stance on this is laid bare for you to see. It's up to you to open your eyes. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 3
14 hours ago, teachercd said:

Hmmmmm...

I don't think that YOU are doing that.  But when people post things that are like "We need THOSE workers because Americans won't do it" it doesn't take much to read between the lines.

I know people, not you, LOVE the "SHOW ME WHERE" bit but...well...Casper was invisible but I could still see him.  

Hmmmm…to be honest, I think you are leaning too much into the bulls#!t stories of scared white dudes stories about the Mexicans stealing our jobs.  Managers at the meat processing facilities are not walking around with envelopes of cash and handing them out and then not explaining to the IRS how they did $25 million in revenue with a only a dozen people on the payroll working in the front office.  The roofing owner isn’t doing 500 houses a year with just him and his wife.

The real world in the USA isn’t always a twisted scary place.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Hmmmm…to be honest, I think you are leaning too much into the bulls#!t stories of scared white dudes stories about the Mexicans stealing our jobs.  Managers at the meat processing facilities are not walking around with envelopes of cash and handing them out and then not explaining to the IRS how they did $25 million in revenue with a only a dozen people on the payroll working in the front office.  The roofing owner isn’t doing 500 houses a year with just him and his wife.

The real world in the USA isn’t always a twisted scary place.

I don't think they are stealing jobs.  That is the exact opposite of what I am talking about.

I want easy immigration I just don't want people that are new to this country to be taken advantage of.

I don't like the "We NEED THOSE PEOPLE to do the jobs that lazy Americans won't do" crowd.  This is the hardest working country in the world.  Other first world countries look at us like we are crazy with the amount of work and hours we put in.

Also, people get paid under the table all the time.  I ran two different sports camps each year for 12 years.  Nothing was ever reported to anyone.   Shoot, I bet I have made over 30,00 dollars for coaching related "work" that was never taxed or reported. 

Everyone that just plowed snow for 30-40 dollars per driveway, not reporting a thing.

• TBH 2
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I don't think they are stealing jobs.  That is the exact opposite of what I am talking about.

I want easy immigration I just don't want people that are new to this country to be taken advantage of.

I don't like the "We NEED THOSE PEOPLE to do the jobs that lazy Americans won't do" crowd.  This is the hardest working country in the world.  Other first world countries look at us like we are crazy with the amount of work and hours we put in.

We are.  That’s why I think that there is an actual shortage of workers.  Not we need cheap labor to keep prices down in certain sectors.

You made a statement about people talking out both sides of their mouths.  In this instance, it doesn’t really apply.

Just now, funhusker said:

We are.  That’s why I think that there is an actual shortage of workers.  Not we need cheap labor to keep prices down in certain sectors.

You made a statement about people talking out both sides of their mouths.  In this instance, it doesn’t really apply.

Maybe!  Maybe not!

18 hours ago, teachercd said:

People have been and keep fighting for wage increases and now some of you are like "Oh...well if THOSE people are not here to work THOSE jobs...what is going to happen?"

What is going to happen?  Those f#&%ing jobs are going to have to pay more money to get people to work those jobs and the cost of all that stuff is going to skyrocket...just like everything has.  

You can't pretend to care about one and not care about the other.  Unless you just really don't care at all.

I’m going with the “maybe” 

11 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

But - THROUGH ADMISSION - large numbers of Republicans don't want to fix the border because it's anger fodder for the Republican base that will never punish themwith their voting choices.

I don’t disagree that at this point, some of them have been public about not wanting to deal on the Senate version of a bill during the election year and I agree with you that’s wrong.   What you fail to mention, is Schumer had an immigration bill on his desk since JUNE 2023 and hasn’t done squat about it.   

11 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I don't know what to tell you on this one Archy. The evidence on the Republican stance on this is laid bare for you to see. It's up to you to open your eyes. 

What you fail to acknowledge is your side refusing to negotiate also since mid year last year 

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, commando said:

now that Texas and all the red states have sent their national guard to texas and with all the razor wire....the border crisis is now over....right?

Nope. Now we will have the feds and locals fighting each other. :ahhhhhhhh:D

Just out of curiosity why can't the states put up barriers that are not at points of entry? I didn't read any rulings. I can total see why the states cannot block legal points of entry. 

2 minutes ago, nic said:

Just out of curiosity why can't the states put up barriers that are not at points of entry? I didn't read any rulings. I can total see why the states cannot block legal points of entry. 

texas has assumed responsibility for the border crisis.   it is either over or it is now Texas fault.   

9 minutes ago, nic said:

The ruling didn’t say the States couldn’t put stuff up.  The ruling states the Fed can dismantle it.  

7 minutes ago, commando said:

texas has assumed responsibility for the border crisis.   it is either over or it is now Texas fault.   

How so? 

3 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I watch way to many conspiracy TV shows.  Designated Survivor, 24 and the like.  I am sometimes surprised Trump is still alive.

Maybe it is a reverse Q'Anon  thing : an aCtOr is PlaYing tHe ParT of tRump whO is PlaYing thE pArt of bOzO tHe CLoWn iN tHe CaMpaiGn  wHile aLl aLonG tHe ReAl TrUmp is iN a SauNa aT PUTin's MaNsion In ThE foRRest.  :dunno

• TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election