The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

President Biden: "Donald Trump made it clear he doesn’t want Nikki Haley’s supporters. I want to be clear: There is a place for them in my campaign. I know there is a lot we won’t agree on. But on the fundamental issues of preserving American democracy, on standing up for the rule of law, on treating each other with decency and dignity and respect, on preserving NATO and standing up to America’s adversaries, I hope and believe we can find common ground."

And there would be NO reason to 'hold your nose' in voting for Biden with all that was stated by Biden in that post.  Common Ground - yes the common ground of Democracy and all the good our country stands for. 

This is what Drudge has as one of his headlines.  It tells me Trump will be in trouble in Nov.  Haley getting 1/3 of the vote running basically against an incumbent who had all of the advantages.   There are a lot of voters who could / should go Biden's way.

TRUMP: 1,541,026 VOTES
HALEY: 763,763 VOTES

• Oh Yeah! 1

This article goes on and notes how with Haley's defeat, the party of Reagan is no more.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ar-BB1jqZLP

A tale of 2 styles and political philosophies: 

A telling moment from six years ago

A moment that has always stuck with me when it comes to Haley’s relationship with her party came in early 2018.

Appearing at an event hosted by Turning Point USA, a group geared toward young conservatives, Haley pleaded with the high-schoolers present to avoid an own-the-libs mentality.

She asked whether those present had “posted anything online to, quote-unquote, ‘own the libs.'”

“I know that it’s fun and that it can feel good, but step back and think about what you’re accomplishing when you do this — are you persuading anyone? Who are you persuading?” Haley implored the audience. “We’ve all been guilty of it at some point or another, but this kind of speech isn’t leadership; it’s the exact opposite.”

She added: “Real leadership is about persuasion; it’s about movement, it’s bringing people around to your point of view — not by shouting them down, but by showing them how it is in their best interest to see things the way you do.”

It was a pretty remarkable attempt to steer her party’s youth in a different direction. And it was notable not just because the activist group she was addressing has trended further to the fringe, but because her then-boss, Trump, was very much defined by an own-the-libs approach.

Six years later, it’s clear Haley’s plea has gone unheeded. The party wants its standard-bearers to be in your face.

• Plus1 1

If Liz Cheney was serious at all about doing whatever she can to keep Trump out of the Whitehouse, she needs to launch an independent presidential campaign next week. He11 I might even vote for a Romney Cheney ticket and, I can't believe I'm saying that. It would be worth it, I think to help the more rational Republicans take back the the party from the brainwashed, maga cult.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

If Liz Cheney was serious at all about doing whatever she can to keep Trump out of the Whitehouse, she needs to launch an independent presidential campaign next week. He11 I might even vote for a Romney Cheney ticket and, I can't believe I'm saying that. It would be worth it, I think to help the more rational Republicans take back the the party from the brainwashed, maga cult.

I wrote in Liz Cheney on my primary ballot. Not that anybody will care but it was my way of saying I wasn’t happy with the choices and particularly opposed to Trump.

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Would that help Joe Biden? Anybody who feels like Trump doesn't reflect them and is clamoring for a 3rd party option are probably reluctant Biden voters.

15 hours ago, TGHusker said:

This is what Drudge has as one of his headlines.  It tells me Trump will be in trouble in Nov.  Haley getting 1/3 of the vote running basically against an incumbent who had all of the advantages.   There are a lot of voters who could / should go Biden's way.

TRUMP: 1,541,026 VOTES
HALEY: 763,763 VOTES

This is just not being reflected in national polls where Biden is losing, massively. The political environment needs to improve by huge margins for Biden to win. 

I'm not convinced that there are huge swaths of Nikki Haley Republicans that are going to crossover and save Joe Biden. 

21 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The majority of Americans don't understand the roots, the players, or the consequences of any international conflict, and Israel Palestine is more conflicted than most. We generally don't have strong electoral opinions on foreign affairs, although the right is thrilled to have this mess happening on Joe Biden's watch. 

You can easily find some delusional college student romanticizing Hamas, but if "supporting Isreal" is your criteria, that has become increasingly conditional and gone well beyond "lefty circles."  The mere act of calling for a cease fire in Gaza, as Biden and most of the world advocates, is in opposition to the Netanyahu government, which has declared its intention to prosecute Hamas however it wants, regardless of the devastation to the Palestinian people. Netanyahu is a genuine a$$h@!e who hates having his massive military and financial support come with any conditions. Dig a little deeper, and Netanyahu's own right wing circle has made no secret of its longstanding intention to simply take over Gaza. They are a minority in Israel, having gamed the system to avoid a corruption recall. The Tea Party if you will. 

While early reporting on the war leaned heavily on Israeli sources, subsequent reporting across mainstream and international media has confirmed that some pretty horrific s#!t is being perpetrated on women and children in reprisals that have gone well beyond hostage freeing.

Of course there's always something horrific going on the world, so it hardly rates as a single-issue voting priority, but it's still hard to watch and pretend you shouldn't say something. 

As mentioned, virtually no one is unaware of the binary choice coming our way in November. In the meantime we can wonder why Not Trump is our only position in any discussion, and whether we have the right to ask for more.  

I do appreciate the well articulated post, and I agree with most of it. 

I do disagree with the "Not Trump" portion at the end, because the Biden Presidency has been the most liberal Presidency from a policy standpoint in decades.  The idea that Biden is simply the "not Trump" option that doesn't deliver positive policy outcomes is frankly just wrong.

• TBH 2
6 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I do disagree with the "Not Trump" portion at the end, because the Biden Presidency has been the most liberal Presidency from a policy standpoint in decades. 

This may help explain why he is having such an issue (at least with current polling which can change quickly) with the electorate.  Especially when facing a historically unpopular opponent that is basically doing nothing to capture voters outside his own base except tell them to go away.   Biden should be cruising to re-election and win in a today’s partisan version of a Regan blowout.   

His extreme Liberal policies as you mention are preventing this. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • TBH 1