Fall Practice Rules

Looks like the kids will practice 12 hours per week

no pads
no contact allowed 

limit of 5 hours of on field instruction 

2 days off

So strength and conditioning would be more of an in season type routine I’m guessing. they can get better at scheme stuff And some base tech stuff, but without pads it’s limited 

It’s all new territory, so who knows what the best way to attack this is. At the end of the day it will be up to Frost to keep the guys motivated  and learning. Hope he puts some team building and fun stuff in to keep their attitudes positive. Going  to be hard for the players to stay up, not knowing when you actually get to play, 

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/nebraska-can-still-practice-even-though-there-wont-be-a-football-season-this-fall/article_236afefd-3d22-526f-a63d-b293620239eb.amp.html

• Plus1 1

Although there's currently no available alternative, it is depressingly comical to see football become 100% about the things players don't like (S&C and practice) and 0% about what they do like (gameday, the atmosphere, the game itself, etc.)

I don't envy any of these coaches right now. Such a crappy position to be in overall.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, Omaha fan said:

Looks like the kids will practice 12 hours per week

no pads
no contact allowed 

limit of 5 hours of on field instruction 

2 days off

So strength and conditioning would be more of an in season type routine I’m guessing. they can get better at scheme stuff And some base tech stuff, but without pads it’s limited 

It’s all new territory, so who knows what the best way to attack this is. At the end of the day it will be up to Frost to keep the guys motivated  and learning. Hope he puts some team building and fun stuff in to keep their attitudes positive. Going  to be hard for the players to stay up, not knowing when you actually get to play, 

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/nebraska-can-still-practice-even-though-there-wont-be-a-football-season-this-fall/article_236afefd-3d22-526f-a63d-b293620239eb.amp.html

Pretty limited. Not much learning unless it goes all fall 12-15.  Then three week break - then full bore and games by Feb 1.  

This is completely contradictory to the supposed basis of cancelling the season. Seriously, it cannot be overstated how stupid this is.

Again, just another piece of evidence to throw on top of the existing mountain of evidence that it's about liability; the University can get sued by a player who falls ill potentially - but the B1G is harder to sue because there's no interaction with other teams/locations.

Really stupid. I'm really disappointed there's no football starting in September.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

This is completely contradictory to the supposed basis of cancelling the season. Seriously, it cannot be overstated how stupid this is.

Again, just another piece of evidence to throw on top of the existing mountain of evidence that it's about liability; the University can get sued by a player who falls ill potentially - but the B1G is harder to sue because there's no interaction with other teams/locations.

Really stupid. I'm really disappointed there's no football starting in September.

The big ten has no idea what’s happening. Kids can still practice and do S&C & go to class with the rest of the student population. This is a disaster. Either cancel college and go fully online with no sports at all or accept the fact that these kids are gonna be kids and go to parties, hang out in the dorms, and play football. You can’t have both. 

• Plus1 7
33 minutes ago, Decked said:

Will the big bloated ADs, presidents, and commish Warren won’t be taking pay cuts? They should be reduced to 50%. No need for athletic director full pay or commish if there isn’t gonna be anything going on. 

To be fair, the lack of sporting events is not really changing their responsibilities or work load. It's just shifting it. If anything, their jobs are a lot harder now because they're going to have to navigate inevitable revenue losses. I'd be particularly cautious about looping university presidents into that mix. Athletic departments only make up just a piece of their oversight responsibilities.

• Plus1 2

21 hours ago, Enhance said:

To be fair, the lack of sporting events is not really changing their responsibilities or work load. It's just shifting it. If anything, their jobs are a lot harder now because they're going to have to navigate inevitable revenue losses. I'd be particularly cautious about looping university presidents into that mix. Athletic departments only make up just a piece of their oversight responsibilities.

ok, now i feel better. :facepalm:

• Plus1 1
On 8/21/2020 at 1:48 PM, Enhance said:

I don't envy any of these coaches right now. Such a crappy position to be in overall.

I have had the opportunity to talk to a couple of non starters on the team recently.  They seemed to be pretty upbeat.  From the small snap shot i got, Scott is doing a good job managing the situation from their perspective.  

• Plus1 4
17 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I have had the opportunity to talk to a couple of non starters on the team recently.  They seemed to be pretty upbeat.  From the small snap shot i got, Scott is doing a good job managing the situation from their perspective.  

I think him going to bat for them in such a public manner and willingly put his neck out there won a lot of goodwill. I'd also have to think the athletic department and administrators also gained a lot of favor by enduring public ridicule for trying to play. Echoes Frost's Unity of Purpose mantra when all of the head honchos line up in support together. Hopefully that pays off down the line and we become the model for other programs in the future once again. 

• Plus1 1