Censorship

On 7/25/2023 at 9:12 AM, ZRod said:

It isn't overtly endorsing lynching but it's almost all the way there,

never deserved this much attention to begin with.

Almost there for lynching? I guess I didn't watch it closely enough, but somehow I think this is overstated.

Yes, I would have never even heard of the song....or the artist...or listened to it.... if people hadn't thrown a tizzy.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
53 minutes ago, nic said:

Almost there for lynching? I guess I didn't watch it closely enough, but somehow I think this is overstated.

Yes, I would have never even heard of the song....or the artist...or listened to it.... if people hadn't thrown a tizzy.

Look up the definition of lynching then read the lyrics. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

Let alone the video was shot in front of a courthouse where an 18 year old black man was lynched by a mob.   He knows what he's doing.

No, he probably doesn’t.  But someone in the production process most likely did.  Is there some kind of memorial in front of the building?

I mean I couldn’t even tell you what TOWN Emmett Till was murdered in without looking. And he is probably one of the most high profile tragedies.

3 hours ago, funhusker said:

No, he probably doesn’t.  But someone in the production process most likely did.  Is there some kind of memorial in front of the building?

I mean I couldn’t even tell you what TOWN Emmett Till was murdered in without looking. And he is probably one of the most high profile tragedies.

Aldean's response to the outcry was that people missed the point: it was a song about community, and how small town folks look out for each other.

But you'd be hard pressed to find that in any of the choices the lyrics and video made. It was literally divisive. As divisive as you could possibly get. f#&% him. Turns out it's not the first time he's been an a$$h@!e and a poser. 

Lynching? Let's assume that's over-reaction. But if the song is a direct challenge to "try that in a small town" and you're bragging about wielding grandpa's gun, what exactly is Aldean warning us will happen? 

Kinda funny how the song revolves around respect for the law, as if small town feuds with local police and sheriffs aren't part of the fabric. You think poor white trash has never spit on a policeman?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Aldean's response to the outcry was that people missed the point: it was a song about community, and how small town folks look out for each other.

But you'd be hard pressed to find that in any of the choices the lyrics and video made. It was literally divisive. As divisive as you could possibly get. f#&% him. Turns out it's not the first time he's been an a$$h@!e and a poser. 

Lynching? Let's assume that's over-reaction. But if the song is a direct challenge to "try that in a small town" and you're bragging about wielding grandpa's gun, what exactly is Aldean warning us will happen? 

Kinda funny how the song revolves around respect for the law, as if small town feuds with local police and sheriffs aren't part of the fabric. You think poor white trash has never spit on a policeman?

So you agree then?  Aldean probably wasn’t aware of the lynching connection with the courthouse?

11 minutes ago, funhusker said:

So you agree then?  Aldean probably wasn’t aware of the lynching connection with the courthouse?

Honestly don't know. He was also busted for using footage that turned out to be from Europe. My guess is that Aldean's production team knew what he was looking for and just grabbed the cheapest available public domain footage from stock libraries. Sometimes the sites for the protests were chosen because of their ugly histories. Who knows if anyone was being clever --- if that's the word for it. 

Lynching is almost exclusively racial in this context, but if Aldean promises merely to shoot civil rights protestors with grandpa's shotgun, he's not exactly being woke about it.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
20 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Honestly don't know. He was also busted for using footage that turned out to be from Europe. My guess is that Aldean's production team knew what he was looking for and just grabbed the cheapest available public domain footage from stock libraries. Sometimes the sites for the protests were chosen because of their ugly histories. Who knows if anyone was being clever --- if that's the word for it. 

Lynching is almost exclusively racial in this context, but if Aldean promises merely to shoot civil rights protestors with grandpa's shotgun, he's not exactly being woke about it.

I don’t listen to his music, and definitely not going to start now.  But country music has been on this tough guy vigilante kick forever.  Especially since Toby Kieth after 9/11.  I’d argue that country hasn’t changed a ton, but politics and society has.

Willy Nelso literally sang a song about all the rope in Texas and a tall oak tree.  He’s one of the most liberal country voices ever…

If this was Kenny Rogers 40 years ago, no one would bat an eye.

34 minutes ago, funhusker said:

He probably wasn't, nor was anyone in the production. Were any of us prior to this? I said earlier that I wouldn't expect anyone outside of the town to know the history of that specific location, but damn are the optics bad...

1 minute ago, ZRod said:

He probably wasn't, nor was anyone in the production. We're any of us prior to this? I said earlier that I wouldn't expect anyone outside of the town to know the history of that specific location, but damn are the optics bad...

@Scarlet apparently was :dunno

After the fact, people knew.  And my understanding is that those clips were removed.

Give it a rest, folks!

21 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The grandpa's gun lyric was more a cheap way to role some 2A triggers into the song.

• TBH 1