Censorship

11 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Who's mad? 

Tiktok and Twitter people apparently. I was “informed” of this at work yesterday and looked it up. It’s the same folks that love the culture war social media junk (phony outrage = $$). Although admittedly from what I saw it was vastly more people defending him. 

11 hours ago, nic said:

Boycotts. I never thought they accomplished much…until Bud Light. Now they are even having the opposite affect. I bet this song would have meant nothing to most people until folks whined about it.

According to Luminate, which tracks streams and music sales, the audio and video streams from Aldean's latest song went from 987,000 to 11.7 million, a 999% increase in the week after the release of the music video.

Luminate also confirmed to Fox News Digital that sales for "Try That In A Small Town" have spiked as well. The week before Aldean released the music video, it sold 1,000 tracks. Last week, the country music song sold 228,000 tracks.

You have to realize that this isn't all from people who are supporting Aldean and the song.  There is a fair amount of people who want to go listen to hear what the problem is and they might not support him or are fans of him.

I've wanted to, but I have no desire to be one of the people in this statistic.

22 minutes ago, Decked said:

Tiktok and Twitter people apparently. I was “informed” of this at work yesterday and looked it up. It’s the same folks that love the culture war social media junk (phony outrage = $$). Although admittedly from what I saw it was vastly more people defending him. 

Your last sentence is the bingo.

This is, like pretty much all of these things are, a make believe controversy that's ultimately just good marketing. Nobody is upset about this song (when I mean nobody I obviously don't include the existence of some infintesimal online minority who will be upset about anything). Nobody even knew about it until his label and team had a brilliant marketing idea.

It's an easy formula. Put something out there that is pandering and antagonistic, roll out the memes, get some opinion articles calling it controversial (all you need for proof is like 5 tweets from the most random corners of the internet), then congratulations you've created a controversy that is now feeding itself with reactions, reactions to the reactions, ad infinitum.

It's the same with the sex trafficking movie and it's the same with pretty much any other allegedly controversial thing people on social media are talking about. The depressing part is that everyone across the entire spectrum falls for it every single time. 

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
11 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

This is, like pretty much all of these things are, a make believe controversy that's ultimately just good marketing. Nobody is upset about this song (when I mean nobody I obviously don't include the existence of some infintesimal online minority who will be upset about anything). Nobody even knew about it until his label and team had a brilliant marketing idea.

Rolling Stone says hey what about me! 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/jason-aldean-try-that-in-a-small-town-maga-white-nationalism-1234792031/amp/

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/jason-aldean-try-that-in-a-small-town-tiktok-jim-crow-story-1234794285/amp/

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/jason-aldean-right-wing-trolls-rap-music-1234787791/amp/

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/jason-aldean-try-that-in-a-small-town-canadian-protest-video-1234791776/amp/

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Your last sentence is the bingo.

It's an easy formula. Put something out there that is pandering and antagonistic, roll out the memes, get some opinion articles calling it controversial (all you need for proof is like 5 tweets from the most random corners of the internet), then congratulations you've created a controversy that is now feeding itself with reactions, reactions to the reactions, ad infinitum.

It's the same with the sex trafficking movie and it's the same with pretty much any other allegedly controversial thing people on social media are talking about. The depressing part is that everyone across the entire spectrum falls for it every single time. 

A name that comes to mind who does this is Clay Travis. His bread and butter is stirring up his base. 

On 7/25/2023 at 8:35 AM, ZRod said:

Stupid's going to stupid...

Funny how Eric Church's Stick That in You're Country Song, which outlines similar American issues but in a more broad style (and kicks a$$ while doing so) didn't get the same love and hate. Aldean's song is just trash modern country, even without the dog whistles and divisiveness it's a bad cliche country song.

I am not a country music fan, so I will gladly defer to your opinion. This might be the only country music I have heard this year. If it was on vinyl and I played it backwards, would I get back my dog, my truck and my girl? :P

23 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

You have to realize that this isn't all from people who are supporting Aldean and the song.  There is a fair amount of people who want to go listen to hear what the problem is and they might not support him or are fans of him.

I've wanted to, but I have no desire to be one of the people in this statistic.

Well one of those 11 million views was me, wanting to know what the fuss was about and fully aware I was feeding the machine.

But we do have a divide between rural and urban that's tearing our country apart, and there's only one way to bridge it.

Taylor Swift and opioids. 

• Oh Yeah! 1