Censorship

11 minutes ago, ZRod said:

He did not say that. He said the algorithms are dangerous because they lead you down rabbit hole into echo chambers. Full stop. He doesn't say anything about what is and isn't approved, and he's entirely correct in his assessment, although the AR-15 comment is pretty hyperbolic.

Let's be honest with ourselves, the algorithms are a huge problem. They're absolutely dog s#!t, and all they do is feed you more and more junk to get your endorphins off. They quality and accuracy of what is presented to you isn't even considered.

Take YouTube for example. You watch one video on military history and it's not too many more clicks before you end up with suggestions for some whacky conspiracies and the craziest Joe Rogan guests. Meanwhile the adds that are targeted at you become gun holster, Trump bears, and military surplus.

A more tame example would be workout videos. The amount of junk that comes up is nuts, and the adds are full of deceit and lies. Fit people pushing out their stomach to show you their "gut" and how they blasted it away in 2 weeks.

I will concede your point that he may not have expressly said "the Ministry of Media shall approve any and all news" but he implied it. 

I agree with you that algorithms can lead to exactly what you describe. But, consumers can choose to do the same thing without any prompting from the algorithm, no? If someone wants to rabbit hole themselves on any topic, they can do so. VP Gore is implying that "the gubment" know better, and it shouldn't be allowed. 

I don't use/view You Tube, so I will take your word for it. 

I lol'd at the last, because I have seen those ads and say to myself "well that's a bunch of sh*t...he's just pushing out his gut" :lol:

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I will concede your point that he may not have expressly said "the Ministry of Media shall approve any and all news" but he implied it. 

I agree with you that algorithms can lead to exactly what you describe. But, consumers can choose to do the same thing without any prompting from the algorithm, no? If someone wants to rabbit hole themselves on any topic, they can do so. VP Gore is implying that "the gubment" know better, and it shouldn't be allowed. 

I don't use/view You Tube, so I will take your word for it. 

I lol'd at the last, because I have seen those ads and say to myself "well that's a bunch of sh*t...he's just pushing out his gut" :lol:

I think you're applying a wild interpretation to what he said. He's not implying that anyone knows better than another, but he is saying that some media is trash compared to others. Also implied is that only consuming things that validate your preconceived notions is a recipe for disaster personally and publicly.

We used to have the FCC's fairness doctrine which meant that licensed broadcasters had to present differing view points on topics. Something like that wouldn't be too difficult to implement in social media and should be brought back for broadcasters.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
3 hours ago, ZRod said:

He did not say that. He said the algorithms are dangerous because they lead you down rabbit hole into echo chambers. Full stop. He doesn't say anything about what is and isn't approved, and he's entirely correct in his assessment, although the AR-15 comment is pretty hyperbolic.

Let's be honest with ourselves, the algorithms are a huge problem. They're absolutely dog s#!t, and all they do is feed you more and more junk to get your endorphins off. The quality and accuracy of what is presented to you isn't even considered.

Take YouTube for example. You watch one video on military history and it's not too many more clicks before you end up with suggestions for some whacky conspiracies and the craziest Joe Rogan guests. Meanwhile the adds that are targeted at you become gun holsters, Trump bears, and military surplus.

A more tame example would be workout videos. The amount of junk that comes up is nuts, and the adds are full of deceit and lies. Fit people pushing out their stomach to show you their "gut" and how they blasted it away in 2 weeks.

proponents of "free speech" should honestly be the ones against the social media algorithms.  By definition, they are hiding other ideas that may be against someone's beliefs to keep them isolated in a "safe space" of propoganda.

• Plus1 2
43 minutes ago, ZRod said:

We used to have the FCC's fairness doctrine which meant that licensed broadcasters had to present differing view points on topics. Something like that wouldn't be too difficult to implement in social media and should be brought back for broadcasters.

This is a good idea.

• TBH 2

37 minutes ago, funhusker said:

proponents of "free speech" should honestly be the ones against the social media algorithms.  By definition, they are hiding other ideas that may be against someone's beliefs to keep them isolated in a "safe space" of propoganda.

For both left and right leaning views.

• Fire 2
1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

I wasn't directing that at anyone, just putting it out there. There is crazy rabbit hole stuff on both sides.

Absolutely.  It's why there's leftwing nut jobs apparently keeping Jewish people from using bathrooms in the Hamas War thread.  Among the many other bats#!t things you see around the country.  

• TBH 1

3 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

How long until Musk has this guy as an honored guest on a Twitter space?  Just to get his side of why he extinguished a menorah.  

How long until crazy Pro-Pally dorks in the US beg for his autograph?  

I know 3 former coffee serving nutso dorks that would love this guy.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

How long until Musk has this guy as an honored guest on a Twitter space?  Just to get his side of why he extinguished a menorah.  

Fire extinguisher dust is also terrible for your health. Guys a d!(k on many levels.

• 1 month later...

Even considering having such sordid books as the dictionary and the Guinness Book of World Records on the bookshelves in our schools is scandalous.  These should have been pulled long ago.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-school-district-pulls-dictionaries-and-encyclopedias-as-part-of-sexual-or-inappropriate-content-review/

"Escambia County school district has included five dictionaries, eight encyclopedias and "The Guinness Book of World Records," in its list of more than 1,600 books that could soon be banned." 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1