Censorship

7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I understand your point about rock and roll and violent video games.

But Just the thought experiment of having students do a “TikTok challenge” of picking up the most trash in a day is interesting.  You know if it was allowed to spread, our halls would be spotless.  The danger with a foreign group controlling the message is intentionally making the bad things popular because they know they are bad things. And they know people will do it if it makes them look cool online.

And mostly, I’m just really ficking tired of the job title “influencer”….fick you and your mooching lifestyle.  Have some respect and go hold a cup on the corner or “influence” some long haul truckers at your local truck stop!

This is actually brilliant!  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, teachercd said:

It is an interesting argument and one that has been going on since "marketing" became a thing and really one that has been going on since about the 1950's

Does marketing (however you want to define that) influence us or do WE influence the "marketing".  Sociologists that study Pop Culture believe that we don't really decide what is popular but instead media (all forms) picks for us.  

Why would the Beatles have been more popular than any other similar band of the time?  

So I think @funhusker has a good point.   I am sure you (and I, because of our jobs) see the TikTok influelnce on kids every single day.

With that said, it can too far, like heavy metal music making kids do bad things or violent games making people violent.  Research doesn't really show that is a reason.

Interesting discussion. 

First, I think The Beatles became so popular because they came on the scene with a completely different sound from England. Which was easier with development of easier trans Atlantic air travel.  Really, was there any other English band here before them?  Then, they did it right at the development of TV and radios in cars…etc. so, Americans were exposed to them

way more.  Americans had actually heard them before they ever got here.  So, is that marketing?  Or, a great band just happened to come to age at the right technological era?

But, marketing now days, is way different than back then. Now, people are in their own shell of media depending on their own opinions. Then, those opinions become radicalized because they don’t hear anything else. 

So, did MAGA, make Trump?  Or, did Trump make MAGA?  I think it’s a mix that started way back in the 80s with Rush and Fox News. They convinced republicans they can’t trust anyone else. It’s kept getting more radical since. Trump is nothing more than a piece of s#!t opportunist. He saw that and was able to convince them that he’s their savior, can do no wrong and ONLY he can save them from those evil liberals. 

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting discussion. 

First, I think The Beatles became so popular because they came on the scene with a completely different sound from England. Which was easier with development of easier trans Atlantic air travel.  Really, was there any other English band here before them?  Then, they did it right at the development of TV and radios in cars…etc. so, Americans were exposed to them

way more.  Americans had actually heard them before they ever got here.  So, is that marketing?  Or, a great band just happened to come to age at the right technological era?

But, marketing now days, is way different than back then. Now, people are in their own shell of media depending on their own opinions. Then, those opinions become radicalized because they don’t hear anything else. 

So, did MAGA, make Trump?  Or, did Trump make MAGA?  I think it’s a mix that started way back in the 80s with Rush and Fox News. They convinced republicans they can’t trust anyone else. It’s kept getting more radical since. Trump is nothing more than a piece of s#!t opportunist. He saw that and was able to convince them that he’s their savior, can do no wrong and ONLY he can save them from those evil liberals. 

It is fun to think about how it all works!

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting discussion. 

Yeah, there was something about 1980s-90s AM radio that sounded new and different to me, and it took its lead from Waco and the OKC bombing. That's where the rightwing messaging morphed into dark warnings of the coming civil war. 

15 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah, there was something about 1980s-90s AM radio that sounded new and different to me, and it took its lead from Waco and the OKC bombing. That's where the rightwing messaging morphed into dark warnings of the coming civil war. 

AM radio...sooo much paper crumbling in the 90's.  Every host was fake crumbling paper.  

• Plus1 1

On 3/16/2024 at 4:12 PM, Danny Bateman said:

I think everyone of all political stripes can pretty roundly agree Don Lemon sucks.

This just seems like a story of two uber douches trying to out-douche each other, right?

Don Lemon definitely sucks.  He's the main reason why I stopped watching really anything on CNN.  

That doesn't diminish the douchyness of the other.

• 3 weeks later...