Biden's America

34 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My conservative friends are suddenly posting a bunch of anti-EV stuff on Facebook. Must be a thing. It slightly pre-dates the EPA announcement. 

Government is doing the push, but the market will have the last word. One of my clients is heavy in the EV ecosystem, and there's been a major flip to plug-in hybrids (PHEV).  EVs and their range anxiety may have hit the wall with consumers, and everyone is more comfortable if PHEVs take the burden off pure battery EVs. The mandates seem to acknowledge this. 

I think the hybrid model is a great compromise to the eventual transition to some version of all non ICE vehicles in the not so near future.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I think the hybrid model is a great compromise to the eventual transition to some version of all non ICE vehicles in the not so near future.  

Yep. There are a number of reasons we are definitively not ready to move off of ICE vehicles entirely or even mostly. The grid is years away from being able to handle it, and the battery tech is still pretty far from making it an easy no brainer decision for most.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

No, but thought this was unusual given the previous discussion on the EV roll out that didn't include Tesla.

Also, they have laid off several thousand, or offered early buyouts over the past year.

https://www.motor1.com/news/708736/stellantis-employees-profit-share/

As has GM. The bigger issue your missing is why does a company who has been making record profits for years, just gave their CEO a huge raise, and is participating in stock BuyBacks and dividends need to lay people off? Also, those jobs won't be coming back. They're being outsourced to India just like the tech industry.

Rumor is there's more to come. They capped it at 400 this time because 500 or more and they have to report it to the state of Michigan before they start the layoffs.

• Plus1 2

So here's the end of it my client is working:

In-wheel electric motors. All torque and power mounted directly on the wheel. An out-of-the-box auto part that fits on 2 or 4 wheels and takes about as long as a brake job. 

So you're not manufacturing new electric cars and all the resources that entails. You're simply converting any existing ICE car or truck to an EV.  For around $7,000. Supposedly improves EV range by a fair amount, but since investors are pivoting back to PHEVs it will also cater to the PHEV market. 

I've got stock options so it's pretty fun to watch. I'm working for either the next Tesla or the next Theranos. Hard to tell.

• Oh Yeah! 1

26 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Worth noting that's not a company-wide notice, it's just from the North America Engineering & Technology division. Which makes you wonder if it's related to this piece of Friday breaking news: 

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/22/business/stellantis-recalling-285000-sedans-side-airbags/index.html

It's not. Recalls happen all the time. I think everybody has had a recall for half a million vehicles in the last 6 months.

2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

It's not. Recalls happen all the time. I think everybody has had a recall for half a million vehicles in the last 6 months.

They are also announced on Fridays to minimize the news cycle and stock market reaction. The recall was enough to make CNN Top Stories, so linking the two stories on this particular Friday didn't seem like a stretch. Layoffs likely a separate story. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

They are also announced on Fridays to minimize the news cycle and stock market reaction. The recall was enough to make CNN Top Stories, so linking the two stories on this particular Friday didn't seem like a stretch. Layoffs likely a separate story. 

Meh, they don't really play around with the recalls anymore after Takata and the GM key scandal. It's a months long process to determine if it's necessary to issue one, and the government is involved. It's usually just happenstance on the final timing that's announced.

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My conservative friends are suddenly posting a bunch of anti-EV stuff on Facebook. Must be a thing. It slightly pre-dates the EPA announcement. 

Government is doing the push, but the market will have the last word. One of my clients is heavy in the EV ecosystem, and there's been a major flip to plug-in hybrids (PHEV).  EVs and their range anxiety may have hit the wall with consumers, and everyone is more comfortable if PHEVs take the burden off pure battery EVs. The mandates seem to acknowledge this. 

Europe is having the same experience. I agree with you that hybrids seem more likely to catch hold...but still don't like the forced mandate to phase out gas burners.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, ZRod said:

As has GM. The bigger issue your missing is why does a company who has been making record profits for years, just gave their CEO a huge raise, and is participating in stock BuyBacks and dividends need to lay people off? Also, those jobs won't be coming back. They're being outsourced to India just like the tech industry.

Rumor is there's more to come. They capped it at 400 this time because 500 or more and they have to report it to the state of Michigan before they start the layoffs.

It definitely sucks when the golden parachute crowd doesn't feel the pinch, while the rank and file slowly get phased out.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In-wheel electric motors. All torque and power mounted directly on the wheel. An out-of-the-box auto part that fits on 2 or 4 wheels and takes about as long as a brake job. 

So you're not manufacturing new electric cars and all the resources that entails. You're simply converting any existing ICE car or truck to an EV.  For around $7,000. Supposedly improves EV range by a fair amount, but since investors are pivoting back to PHEVs it will also cater to the PHEV market. 

I've got stock options so it's pretty fun to watch. I'm working for either the next Tesla or the next Theranos. Hard to tell.

I saw a couple of these on Top Gear...Holy torque Batman

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My daughter and her husband own a Tesla and live in Atlanta it’s strictly a commenting car for them and saves them a ton of money. But, I don’t think they will buy another one. They definitely won’t only own teslas. There is certain situations where the ICE vehicle is needed. 

When we bought our new car left year, we thought about the PHEV. But, went with the non plug in version and are very happy. 

EV manufacturers have to advance the battery tech for longer distance in a charge  and faster charges. 

My son in law commutes about an hour each way in heavy traffic. They are great for that. 

• TBH 1
On 3/22/2024 at 4:19 PM, Lorewarn said:

Yep. There are a number of reasons we are definitively not ready to move off of ICE vehicles entirely or even mostly. The grid is years away from being able to handle it, and the battery tech is still pretty far from making it an easy no brainer decision for most.

The grid can handle the EV transition.

The battery tech doesn't need to advance much, it's pretty much there. Faster charging would be nice. Mostly need more charging stations and consumers learning the new tech.