Biden's 1st 100 days & his 1st Year legislative agenda

Biden's First 100 days  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have an issue with either of these while the pandemic and shutdowns is still in full swing. It is willowing out millions of people that will/have suffered from the response, but don't necessarily pay rent or have college loans. 

If we are going to commit that large of funding, make sure that money is doled out across the board in a fashion that can best help the most amount of people currently. Large blocks of people would see zero assistance from either proposal. 

Deal with tuition and rent forgiveness later. 

34 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I have an issue with either of these while the pandemic and shutdowns is still in full swing. It is willowing out millions of people that will/have suffered from the response, but don't necessarily pay rent or have college loans. 

If we are going to commit that large of funding, make sure that money is doled out across the board in a fashion that can best help the most amount of people currently. Large blocks of people would see zero assistance from either proposal. 

Deal with tuition and rent forgiveness later. 

Rent forgiveness is directly tied to the economic issues related to the pandemic. Student debt forgiveness can be done without legislation (and therefore blocking by Congess). But I agree that what you're proposing would be a better solution overall. Thing is the economy needs this done sooner, and the Repub Senate is unlikely to allow anything through.

• Haha 1
On 11/11/2020 at 4:43 PM, Moiraine said:

I don't think student loan forgiveness should happen. The evictions are far more important, and even if they extend the moratorium on evictions, those people still owe rent, and I'm sure a lot of them will never be able to pay it. I would rather the back rent get forgiven. 

Why should student loans be forgiven?  Why should those who never went to college subsidize the financially illiterate who took out more loans than they can afford to many times get a degree that has little financial upside?  

Do those of us who saved for school, worked during school, or paid off any student loans get a tax credit at the same time?  

I would be for eliminating the interest if that helps, or allowing people to declare those loans on a BK filing.  Maybe hold the Education institutions responsible for the balance of those loans and not the taxpayer as a solution.  

rewarding people who go some private liberal arts college and racking up six figure debt when they could have went to CC college and a state school shouldn’t be a priority IMO. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

50 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Why should student loans be forgiven?  Why should those who never went to college subsidize the financially illiterate who took out more loans than they can afford to many times get a degree that has little financial upside?  

Do those of us who saved for school, worked during school, or paid off any student loans get a tax credit at the same time?  

I would be for eliminating the interest if that helps, or allowing people to declare those loans on a BK filing.  Maybe hold the Education institutions responsible for the balance of those loans and not the taxpayer as a solution.  

rewarding people who go some private liberal arts college and racking up six figure debt when they could have went to CC college and a state school shouldn’t be a priority IMO. 

I say make the loan forgiveness part of an Infrastructure Deal.  Forgive loans for people who have degrees or are getting degrees in certain fields that part of the plan.  For example, electricians, welders, and engineers.  Forgive the loans for teachers, nurses, and doctors that work in high need areas (albeit not glamorous) like the E.R..

Although there is evidence that the extra spending cash would be a huge boost to the economy, I also can't get behind forgiving the loan of the Art History Major that went to school at a private university to "find himself".  

There is a lot of grey area between the two situations.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I'm fairly conflicted on it, but you're replying to a post where I said we shouldn't give loan forgiveness - we should focus on giving a safety net to people who have thousands of dollars worth of back rent due to Covid. I'd probably be ok with both happening but I think eviction prevention should take priority. This argument is different depending on the situation though. There's an argument during normal times and there's an argument this year when the focus should be on the macro economy and what will help it the most.

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I don't think banks will need a bail out. But if I'm understanding correctly the PPP loans are great for them. I'm pretty sure those are all backed by the government so there is no risk involved.

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't think banks will need a bail out. But if I'm understanding correctly the PPP loans are great for them. I'm pretty sure those are all backed by the government so there is no risk involved.

You should read the article and memo, it's not about bailing out banks.

24 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I'm fairly conflicted on it, but you're replying to a post where I said we shouldn't give loan forgiveness - we should focus on giving a safety net to people who have thousands of dollars worth of back rent due to Covid. I'd probably be ok with both happening but I think eviction prevention should take priority. This argument is different depending on the situation though. There's an argument during normal times and there's an argument this year when the focus should be on the macro economy and what will help it the most.

Ya sorry about that.  Didn’t mean to imply you were for it.  Just picked a post to reply to to get my thoughts down. I apologize that it came across that way 

• Plus1 1

I have to admit, I have a problem with a vast cancelation of student debt and I know it’s from my own personal experience. 

It took me five and a half years to get through college mainly because my parents were going through multiple bankruptcies. I worked full time while going to school full time for most of those years.  

Did I have fun?  Yes....and that’s partly why it took me that long.  

I also knew kids that they didn’t give a s#!t and never got a job in college. Put it all on debt because they could. 

So, why the hell should they have their debt just forgiven while students like me actually worked to pay for ours but we get no reward for that?  

it’s always been a thorn in my side about thus proposal.  

We try to guarantee an education for every kid through HS and I agree with that. But, at some point, they need to become adults and start contributing to their education and future.  

Sorry for the rant.  

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have to admit, I have a problem with a vast cancelation of student debt and I know it’s from my own personal experience. 

It took me five and a half years to get through college mainly because my parents were going through multiple bankruptcies. I worked full time while going to school full time for most of those years.  

Did I have fun?  Yes....and that’s partly why it took me that long.  

I also knew kids that they didn’t give a s#!t and never got a job in college. Put it all on debt because they could. 

So, why the hell should they have their debt just forgiven while students like me actually worked to pay for ours but we get no reward for that?  

it’s always been a thorn in my side about thus proposal.  

We try to guarantee an education for every kid through HS and I agree with that. But, at some point, they need to become adults and start contributing to their education and future.  

Sorry for the rant.  

It also makes me wonder about the year after that and the year after that, etc. It's just kinda based on luck of having your debt be large when this happens. Are they gonna do it annually then? I do think it might be a good idea to make community college free, but they can't do that if they don't get the Senate, and I doubt Biden wants to. I actually doubt Biden wants to cancel a large amount of debt anyway, but he has mentioned $10,000. If it's that small I say just send checks out again for $2,000 or whatever to make it more fair, but maybe lower the income threshold or stagger the amounts. 

18 hours ago, Moiraine said:

It also makes me wonder about the year after that and the year after that, etc. It's just kinda based on luck of having your debt be large when this happens. Are they gonna do it annually then? I do think it might be a good idea to make community college free, but they can't do that if they don't get the Senate, and I doubt Biden wants to. I actually doubt Biden wants to cancel a large amount of debt anyway, but he has mentioned $10,000. If it's that small I say just send checks out again for $2,000 or whatever to make it more fair, but maybe lower the income threshold or stagger the amounts. 

If they do decide to do student loan forgiveness, which I 100% disagree with, I will not be sending a dime to MIT next year and will recommend my son take out the maximum amount of loan since it’s free anyways.  I’d may go ahead and apply to get my MBA also so I’m admitted if this law passes that way I can max out a loan also, take a few classes and put the excess in the market.   

since many of us paid our bills and got no relief, might as well take advantage if things change.   

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

If they do decide to do student loan forgiveness, which I 100% disagree with, I will not be sending a dime to MIT next year and will recommend my son take out the maximum amount of loan since it’s free anyways.  I’d may go ahead and apply to get my MBA also so I’m admitted if this law passes that way I can max out a loan also, take a few classes and put the excess in the market.   

since many of us paid our bills and got no relief, might as well take advantage if things change.   

Right on! Become educated!

• Plus1 1