Penn State Post-Game Pressers

Mavric

Just now, ZRod said:

I think it was a legit read. If its the play I'm thinking of too we left the DE unblocked and he pursued the RB down the line. Shoulda been a keep. AM had the same issues last week though, and last year. Tommy and T-Mart missed them a lot too. It happens.

I just saw that play on the highlights and thought LM should have kept the ball too. Kids first start, it happens.

The play that would have been 6, and I'm unsure if this is what you guys are referencing, was the high snap that Luke fielded high and away.  That was an RPO that was set up perfect with one defender to the right to try to defend Luke on the run and the pass.  If the snap is good, we score easily.  Instead Luke made the smart play and handed off as the timing was gone.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

The play that would have been 6, and I'm unsure if this is what you guys are referencing, was the high snap that Luke fielded high and away.  That was an RPO that was set up perfect with one defender to the right to try to defend Luke on the run and the pass.  If the snap is good, we score easily.  Instead Luke made the smart play and handed off as the timing was gone.

I can't believe we're still having issues with snaps. It really killed quite a few play on Saturday. Timing just gets all shot to hell when you gotta field a high heater.

12 hours ago, ZRod said:

I can't believe we're still having issues with snaps. It really killed quite a few play on Saturday. Timing just gets all shot to hell when you gotta field a high heater.

It was disappointing to see those resurface - gotta think it has to do with trying to power through an injury. Jurgens has to figure that out though, because if it is turf toe that's going to linger all year. 

On 11/14/2020 at 7:45 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

Started listening to Big Red Overreaction from 1620 the Zone. One of the first comments they make is that Luke missed an opportunity for an easy TD, if he keeps the ball on a zone read during the 4th quarter drive which NU was forced into a FG. Again, sometimes it’s execution, rather than play calling. 

Here is the play I think I was thinking of.  But it's not in the 4th quarter.  We did kick a FG here so I'm assuming he misspoke on the 4th quarter part.

The play side DE doesn't get blocked so that would seem to be a zone read play.  I don't know what the rule is - maybe since the DE didn't chance it's supposed to be a give.  But it sure looks like there is lots of green turf for Luke if he keeps.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Here is the play I think I was thinking of.  But it's not in the 4th quarter.  We did kick a FG here so I'm assuming he misspoke on the 4th quarter part.

The play side DE doesn't get blocked so that would seem to be a zone read play.  I don't know what the rule is - maybe since the DE didn't chance it's supposed to be a give.  But it sure looks like there is lots of green turf for Luke if he keeps.

If you at the position of the defense when the video is frozen at the mesh point, there's one Nebraska player out to the top and 3 PSU defenders plus the DE. I don't think LM gets anywhere even if he keeps it.

45 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

If you at the position of the defense when the video is frozen at the mesh point, there's one Nebraska player out to the top and 3 PSU defenders plus the DE. I don't think LM gets anywhere even if he keeps it.

You don't think he's faster than Penn State's linebacker?

24 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Only the corner is out there and Betts is there to block.  

The DBs were there too but broke back inside once the back got the ball. If LM had kept it, they would have pursued the other way. McCaffrey might have gotten a gain similar to Scott's, but the first down was unlikely. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Only the corner is out there and Betts is there to block.  

That's incorrect. I again paused the clip at the 4 second mark where he freezes the mesh point. PSU players I see to the right of the Husker's RT are: the DE on the LOS, the OLB behind the DE at the 6 yardline, the Safety behind and slightly further right at the 4, and the Corner further right at the 4.5. The DE crashes down, so he's not going to get LM on a keeper, but the OLB waits to see who has the ball, so he's going to pursue LM from the inside limiting cutbacks or reversing field. The safety and corner both have a head start on LM getting outside because they're lined up outside. So even if Betts makes a perfect block, LM still has to contend with a DB that has an advantage on getting to the sideline.

It's possible LM beats one or two guys to get into the endzone, but it's also possible the RB could do the same to the DE as the OLB is a step later because he waits to see who has the ball. IMO, LM keeping the ball isn't any better of a chance to reach the endzone.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1