How is your Family approaching Thanksgiving in 2020?

What is your family doing for Thanksgiving in 2020?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I was a kid we had massive family gatherings at grandpa's farm. Grandma, mom and my uncles' wives would make a mountain of food while the guys shot pool in the old coal room. After dinner we'd set up folding tables and play Pitch all night. It was SO HOT in that house. I really miss that. 

This year we are staying home. No gathering. Maybe have a zoom with a few people.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, knapplc said:

When I was a kid we had massive family gatherings at grandpa's farm. Grandma, mom and my uncles' wives would make a mountain of food while the guys shot pool in the old coal room. After dinner we'd set up folding tables and play Pitch all night. It was SO HOT in that house. I really miss that. 

This year we are staying home. No gathering. Maybe have a zoom with a few people.

This is so true!  When I was a kid we would go to my grandma's house and the thermostat must have been set in the low 80's.  

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just our kids and their boy friends.  Usually a bigger group.  My elderly parents are not coming.  We will take food to them.  

Bigger problem is that we are celebrating on Friday and my wife has said we are NOT watching the game during thanksgiving dinner.  

So the problem is that she will be complaining while you watch the game?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

There is a plan to do a larger family gathering for my wife's family; however, my mother-in-law owns a couple of larger spaces that will allow for people to spread out and be socially distanced. And the number of people who normally come will not all be there this year so it'll be approximately 14 or so people I believe.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just our kids and their boy friends.  Usually a bigger group.  My elderly parents are not coming.  We will take food to them.  

Bigger problem is that we are celebrating on Friday and my wife has said we are NOT watching the game during thanksgiving dinner.  

:o    That is adding serious injury onto the insult.

We are doing it very small.  Just my wife and I this time.  Meeting with our son and family who live here locally ahead of time but very informally - picnic outside.   Too many risk factors in play.

• Plus1 1

Usually have extended family gathering at a rotating location hosted by uncle/aunt/cousin. 40-50 people. This year my folks will be dining alone, and my kids/grandkids will come to our place, as we interact with them daily. Hopefully the weather is good, and we can go visit with my folks socially distanced outdoors. 

We usually go to my parents in Nebraska. Since they went south for the winter we're not going. My friend is trying to get us to come up there still but with how crazy their COVID numbers are we are not going to risk it. Wife and I are going to a 75-minute spin class Thanksgiving morning instead :ohnoes

35 minutes ago, Enhance said:

There is a plan to do a larger family gathering for my wife's family; however, my mother-in-law owns a couple of larger spaces that will allow for people to spread out and be socially distanced. And the number of people who normally come will not all be there this year so it'll be approximately 14 or so people I believe.

These are the things that will end up being super spreaders.  Don't get me wrong, if I had friends or family that was close by this is what I would do as well but I have no friends and my family is far away.  But you know how this will go...

Big space to spread out...maybe even start with masks.

Have a few drinks, watch some football, start chatting more, start getting closer, masks off, kids get bored and start running around and playing, they run to their parents and hug them or play fight with them...and it is one giant germ factory.  

It will start with the best of intentions and again, I would be all in for this as well.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

These are the things that will end up being super spreaders.  Don't get me wrong, if I had friends or family that was close by this is what I would do as well but I have no friends and my family is far away.  But you know how this will go...

Big space to spread out...maybe even start with masks.

Have a few drinks, watch some football, start chatting more, start getting closer, masks off, kids get bored and start running around and playing, they run to their parents and hug them or play fight with them...and it is one giant germ factory.  

It will start with the best of intentions and again, I would be all in for this as well.

I'd be lying if I said I was not genuinely concerned about it and for that very reason.

My mother-in-law had had a small function planned this past weekend because of family being in town (had it planned for months and didn't want to cancel). It was at one of those larger spaces, supposed to be spread out i.e. a table between everyone.

By the time we got there, there were about 25 people there mingling and there were no masks. My wife and I kept our masks on, stayed about 10 minutes in the entry way by the door, and then left.

One guess which presidential candidate this side of the family voted for.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, GSG said:

We usually go to my parents in Nebraska. Since they went south for the winter we're not going. My friend is trying to get us to come up there still but with how crazy their COVID numbers are we are not going to risk it. Wife and I are going to a 75-minute spin class Thanksgiving morning instead :ohnoes

1. That's what you call it?
  2. 75 minutes? Well done. 
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
9 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Hopefully, one of the two vaccines will be available around Christmas so you won't have to cancel. 

They will only have enough for first responders, medical staff, the nursing home elderly to begin with. What I understand, it won't be available to the general population until March/April. 

• Plus1 1