New AD or Head Coach

On 12/15/2020 at 9:50 AM, Farms said:

I'll give you 35 million reasons why she *******was******* perfectly fine with moving to Nebraska...I'm sorry but this post is garbage.  And for the record Urban wouldn't touch this job for $10 million a year, so you can just let that idea go.

Emphasis on the WAS.

Oh, you know Urban Meyer...you speak with him directly?  Some random fan on a message board is close friends with a college football genius millionaire?  You know his thoughts?  That he would never take another coaching job before the grave?  Do you live inside Urban's head?  Do you plan on moving into the real world any time soon?

You cannot watch this video and not see the passion Urban Meyer STILL has for college football (interesting team to pick to analyze!):

12 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not saying Osborne wouldn't throw the ball. He absolutely did, but was very careful about when to dial it up. He was the MASTER at setting up play-action. But he did it by establishing the run first- pulling the safeties up, getting them to peek in the backfield, and bam - the tight end runs right past them, wide open for any easy throw. No reading the defense required, just throw it up and let them run underneath it. Keep it simple, no need to reinvent the wheel.  

Guess how many times we threw against OU in '71? 13, and one of them was a trick play pass from Rodgers. 

Who scored the last two touchdowns against Warren Sapp and that vaunted Miami defense? Schlesinger, a fullback, on simple Trap plays. 

'But that was the 90s, we can't do that now.'

.    Bullcrap. If anything, the rules for holding are more lax now than back then, making drive blocking that much easier. 

Come-a-RUNNIN', boys! 

Run the ball, Scott, for the sake of all that is holy! Run. The. Ball!

Telling Frost (a former QB) to run the ball the majority of the football game is like telling a bird to breath under water.

1 minute ago, Bledred said:

Telling Frost (a former QB) to run the ball the majority of the football game is like telling a bird to breath under water.

Silliest angle I have heard when it comes to Frost's offense. To pretend that he was a QB that's career revolved around the pass is hilarious. Guy had to change to defense to get a chance in the league because he was a QB that couldn't throw the ball worth a damn and in fact, won a natty with his legs.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Silliest angle I have heard when it comes to Frost's offense. To pretend that he was a QB that's career revolved around the pass is hilarious. Guy had to change to defense to get a chance in the league because he was a QB that couldn't throw the ball worth a damn and in fact, won a natty with his legs.

"won a natty with his legs"  Yea, I know.  I watched the entire 1997 season live.  I suppose that explains the 20 QB keeper plays Frost ran every game this year. 

Frost was a safety in the NFL....a position focused on what the QB is doing with the ball. 

Frost was the QB and WR coach at Oregon under Chip Kelly.  

Frost is a PASS FIRST and PASS LAST head coach.  If you cannot see this, then it is time to get a prescription from the eye doctor. 

1 hour ago, Bledred said:

Emphasis on the WAS.

Oh, you know Urban Meyer...you speak with him directly?  Some random fan on a message board is close friends with a college football genius millionaire?  You know his thoughts?  That he would never take another coaching job before the grave?  Do you live inside Urban's head?  Do you plan on moving into the real world any time soon?

You cannot watch this video and not see the passion Urban Meyer STILL has for college football (interesting team to pick to analyze!):

There's a handful of college jobs Meyer has ever been interested in.  He's already coached at two of them.  Notre Dame is another.

Nebraska is not on that list.

• Fire 3

46 minutes ago, Bledred said:

"won a natty with his legs"  Yea, I know.  I watched the entire 1997 season live.  I suppose that explains the 20 QB keeper plays Frost ran every game this year. 

Frost was a safety in the NFL....a position focused on what the QB is doing with the ball. 

Frost was the QB and WR coach at Oregon under Chip Kelly.  

Frost is a PASS FIRST and PASS LAST head coach.  If you cannot see this, then it is time to get a prescription from the eye doctor. 

2009-2012 - Oregon WR coach 

'09 - 6th in rushing O, 98th in passing. QB: Jeremiah Masoli (Jr)

'10 - 4th in rushing, 39th in passing. Darron Thomas (So)

'11 - 5th in rushing, 68th in passing. Darron Thomas (JR)

'12 3rd in rushing, 73rd in passing. Marcus Mariota (Fr)

2013-2015 - Oregon OC/QB coach

'13 - 9th in rushing, 21st in passing. Marcus Mariota (So)

'14 - 22nd in rushing, 10th in passing. Marcus Mariota (Jr)

'15 - 5th rushing, 37th passing. Vernon Adams (Sr)

UCF Head Coach 2016-2017

'16 - 104th rushing, 90th passing. McKenzie Milton (Fr)

'17 - 32nd rushing, 10th passing. McKenzie Milton (So)

Nebraska Head Coach 2018-2020

'18 - 28th rushing, 52nd passing. Adrian Martinez (Fr)

'19 - 29th rushing, 83rd passing. Adrian Martinez (So)

'20 - 52nd rushing, 106th passing. Adrian Martinez (Jr)

The numbers really don't bear that out. Setting aside for now that the offense has been very bad, the only offenses he's been a part of that emphasized passing more than running had literal Heisman finalist/winning QBs. 2016 is sort of an exception (although it was Milton, he was very much not a Heisman caliber player that year), but even in that case they ran the ball more. Just ended up with more passing yards. Pretending Frost is Mike Leach is ridiculous.

• Plus1 2

Eh, we keep making too much of the run/pass ratio, and our selective memories of the Osborne years. 

The best recent college football teams roughly share the same run/pass ratio over the course of a season. Maybe 42 rushes a game to 28 passes a game on average,  but each game can differ. An offensive coordinator will always rush more if the run game is working. That's why defensive coordinators generally try to stop the running game first -- and make in-game adjustments if they're getting gouged.  

Coaches like Tom Osborne also make pre-game adjustments, dialing up the passing game knowing that a team like Colorado has the speed and strategy to stop the running game. A legitimate passing game sets up the play-action running game, but the reverse works, too. 

No team can just announce its intention to pound the ball and expect to win. The 95/95 Huskers came damn close, but there's a lot of water under that bridge.

• Fire 1
18 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

2009-2012 - Oregon WR coach 

'09 - 6th in rushing O, 98th in passing. QB: Jeremiah Masoli (Jr)

'10 - 4th in rushing, 39th in passing. Darron Thomas (So)

'11 - 5th in rushing, 68th in passing. Darron Thomas (JR)

'12 3rd in rushing, 73rd in passing. Marcus Mariota (Fr)

2013-2015 - Oregon OC/QB coach

'13 - 9th in rushing, 21st in passing. Marcus Mariota (So)

'14 - 22nd in rushing, 10th in passing. Marcus Mariota (Jr)

'15 - 5th rushing, 37th passing. Vernon Adams (Sr)

UCF Head Coach 2016-2017

'16 - 104th rushing, 90th passing. McKenzie Milton (Fr)

'17 - 32nd rushing, 10th passing. McKenzie Milton (So)

Nebraska Head Coach 2018-2020

'18 - 28th rushing, 52nd passing. Adrian Martinez (Fr)

'19 - 29th rushing, 83rd passing. Adrian Martinez (So)

'20 - 52nd rushing, 106th passing. Adrian Martinez (Jr)

The numbers really don't bear that out. Setting aside for now that the offense has been very bad, the only offenses he's been a part of that emphasized passing more than running had literal Heisman finalist/winning QBs. 2016 is sort of an exception (although it was Milton, he was very much not a Heisman caliber player that year), but even in that case they ran the ball more. Just ended up with more passing yards. Pretending Frost is Mike Leach is ridiculous.

Strawman argument.  lets post the rankings....never mind the yards.  Rankings in what I have yet to figure out....  Average passing yards?  Average Rushing yards?  Or are they the overall rank?  

You can rank really high in a category if you rarely do it, and when you do, you do it very well.   Lets drum-up the average passing yards per game for these same years and teams and average running yards per game as well.  My argument will be a slam dunk win. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Bledred said:

Strawman argument.  lets post the rankings....never mind the yards.  Rankings in what I have yet to figure out....  Average passing yards?  Average Rushing yards?  Or are they the overall rank?  

You can rank really high in a category if you rarely do it, and when you do, you do it very well.   Lets drum-up the average passing yards per game for these same years and teams and average running yards per game as well.  My argument will be a slam dunk win. 

The rankings are in yards per game. So what's your argument, that he calls more passes than runs? I can do the numbers for just attempts, that would still be more runs than passes. And passing is more efficient yardage-wise, so if you're saying they need a run/pass split that is lopsided enough to guarantee they ran for more yards than they passed, you've lost me. A 65/35 run/pass split is run heavy, even if they average 200 yards of each. 

Focusing on his time as a playcaller (not even sure he called plays as OC at Oregon), per game averages

2013 - 43 runs, 31 passes. 273 yards rushing, 291 passing.

2014 - 43 runs, 32 passes. 234 rushing, 312 passing.

2015 - 47 runs, 29 passes. 280 rushing, 258 passing.

2016 - 40 runs, 35 passes. 149 rushing, 209 passing.

2017 - 38 runs, 32 passes. 199 rushing, 331 passing.

2018 - 38 runs, 33 passes. 209 rushing, 247 passing.

2019 - 45 runs, 27 passes. 204 rushing, 212 passing.

2020 - 39 runs, 28 passes. 178 rushing, 180 passing.

Again, if your argument is we need to gain more yards rushing than passing, I'm 100% off board. The bet P5 yards per carry is 6.0. The best P5 yards per pass attempt is over 10. By any measure Frost's offense have always been on the running side of balanced. They tend more pass happy (but still far from actually pass heavy) when they have elite QBs. Your argument will "be a slam dunk win" because measuring how many yards are gained passing versus running is not a helpful way to break down if a team is pass heavy or not. 

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Bledred said:

download.jpg

Whelp...a little research and I may have found the answer to my own question:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/urban-meyer-reportedly-remains-the-target-for-texas/ar-BB1bFCls

https://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/urban-meyer-wife-shelley-austin-texas-rumor-house/568980

Still in the rumor phase, but Urban Meyer's wife checking out real estate in Austin is a pretty big flag on what is to come.  Texas has endless oil cash to throw at Urban and could out pay any other school by a long shot.

11 minutes ago, Bledred said:

download.jpg

With Urban Meyer, I do believe past performance is indicative of future results.  He didn't take his dream job at Notre Dame because they just didn't have the talent that Florida did.  I don't want to take away from Urban Meyer that he isn't a great coach, but he only takes jobs where the talent is already there.  Does this sound anything even remotely close to what Nebraska is?  If the rumors are true that he turned Texas down, there's not a snowballs chance in he11 he'd ever take the job here.  I don't follow Texas recruiting at all.  Maybe they just don't have the talent he thinks he needs to win.  However, I am surprised he turned them down considering the Big 12 is a weak conference.  The SEC wasn't nearly the dominant force when Urbs took the Florida job.  The B1G wasn't near the conference it is today when he took the Ohio State job.  The Texas job seemed like a slam dunk, and he turned them down.   

Just now, Bledred said:

Whelp...a little research and I may have found the answer to my own question:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/urban-meyer-reportedly-remains-the-target-for-texas/ar-BB1bFCls

https://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/urban-meyer-wife-shelley-austin-texas-rumor-house/568980

Still in the rumor phase, but Urban Meyer's wife checking out real estate in Austin is a pretty big flag on what is to come.  Texas has endless oil cash to throw at Urban and could out pay any other school by a long shot.

Those are from a couple weeks ago, newer rumor is he passed on Texas. But he will be linked to every high profile opening for the next 10 years until he takes one. Gruden sat out for a long time, so there's precedent for taking several years off.

6 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

The rankings are in yards per game. So what's your argument, that he calls more passes than runs? I can do the numbers for just attempts, that would still be more runs than passes. And passing is more efficient yardage-wise, so if you're saying they need a run/pass split that is lopsided enough to guarantee they ran for more yards than they passed, you've lost me. A 65/35 run/pass split is run heavy, even if they average 200 yards of each. 

Focusing on his time as a playcaller (not even sure he called plays as OC at Oregon), per game averages

2013 - 43 runs, 31 passes. 273 yards rushing, 291 passing.

2014 - 43 runs, 32 passes. 234 rushing, 312 passing.

2015 - 47 runs, 29 passes. 280 rushing, 258 passing.

2016 - 40 runs, 35 passes. 149 rushing, 209 passing.

2017 - 38 runs, 32 passes. 199 rushing, 331 passing.

2018 - 38 runs, 33 passes. 209 rushing, 247 passing.

2019 - 45 runs, 27 passes. 204 rushing, 212 passing.

2020 - 39 runs, 28 passes. 178 rushing, 180 passing.

Again, if your argument is we need to gain more yards rushing than passing, I'm 100% off board. The bet P5 yards per carry is 6.0. The best P5 yards per pass attempt is over 10. By any measure Frost's offense have always been on the running side of balanced. They tend more pass happy (but still far from actually pass heavy) when they have elite QBs. Your argument will "be a slam dunk win" because measuring how many yards are gained passing versus running is not a helpful way to break down if a team is pass heavy or not. 

The passing yards top the running yards ALL the years except 2015.  Most people in the biz would call that a trend.  I call that a slam dunk win. 

5 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

With Urban Meyer, I do believe past performance is indicative of future results.  He didn't take his dream job at Notre Dame because they just didn't have the talent that Florida did.  I don't want to take away from Urban Meyer that he isn't a great coach, but he only takes jobs where the talent is already there.  Does this sound anything even remotely close to what Nebraska is?  If the rumors are true that he turned Texas down, there's not a snowballs chance in he11 he'd ever take the job here.  I don't follow Texas recruiting at all.  Maybe they just don't have the talent he thinks he needs to win.  However, I am surprised he turned them down considering the Big 12 is a weak conference.  The SEC wasn't nearly the dominant force when Urbs took the Florida job.  The B1G wasn't near the conference it is today when he took the Ohio State job.  The Texas job seemed like a slam dunk, and he turned them down.   

When did this happen?  I am behind on such things.  Have not been paying a whole lot of attention being a retired fan.