Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

12 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

They don't perform in any facet of the game, Offense, Defense, ST, when it truly matters.  Adrians cream puff stats last year didn't yield any material value.  Ftost keeps mentioning the team needs to see good things happen.  What would you call beating Penn State last year?  Then how did they follow it up?  

The D on Saturday needed a stop out of halftime.  They folded.  A terrible team with a backup QB marched right down the field on them.  They had time to rest, time to adjust, time to motivate.

The team is awful and reflects the staff.  I feel bad for some of the kids as they do have talent, they're just led and motivated by overmatched coaches riding a terrible QB.

But but but- he completes 72% of his passes and will set records. I say IN JEST. 

Hes a great kid, I really hope he does well AND due to our poor evaluating and poor developing he STILL gives us the best chance to win. But those saying AM is a good QB, just stop- and stop embarrassing yourselves. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

But those saying AM is a good QB, just stop- and stop embarrassing yourselves. 

I won't put words in your mouth, so maybe you can do the same?

Is the kid McKenzie Milton? No. Would 2017 McKenzie Milton make our team drastically different this year? Probably would. We'd still have the clusterf*** disaster on special teams and the inopportune penalties that would still most likely make it almost impossible to beat even teams like Northwestern, Iowa, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Michigan, & Ohio State...but we wouldn't be losing to Illinois & Minnesota.

Adrian has a significantly higher completion percentage than Tommy & Taylor. I heard we're mentioning "objectivity" in this thread so I thought I'd point that stat out.

There is a running joke that Nebraska and Tennessee are essentially attached at the hip when it comes to programs and wouldn't you know it, Tennessee had Jarrett Guarantano (aka Guarantano Bay because watching him was like getting tortured) at QB who started as a RS Fr, showed some flashes of brilliance and then steadily got worse and worse until he lost his job and here we are with 2AM who has done the same thing.  Fun twist!  Martinez was initially committed to Tennessee!  The jokes write themselves at this point!

13 minutes ago, Undone said:

Adrian has a significantly higher completion percentage than Tommy & Taylor. I heard we're mentioning "objectivity" in this thread so I thought I'd point that stat out.

I DONT CARE about meaningless completed swing passes. AM cant hit a WIDE OPEN for TD medium pass when he has plenty of time-  to save his life. He CONTINUES to fumble for TDs for the other team. GREAT kid- best we have, but he just isn't any good. To claim he is at this point is really silly or insane. 

ALL I CARE ABOUT IS WINNING- he doesn't have the skills to do that and has only regressed every year. 

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Undone said:

I won't put words in your mouth, so maybe you can do the same?

Is the kid McKenzie Milton? No. Would 2017 McKenzie Milton make our team drastically different this year? Probably would. We'd still have the clusterf*** disaster on special teams and the inopportune penalties that would still most likely make it almost impossible to beat even teams like Northwestern, Iowa, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Michigan, & Ohio State...but we wouldn't be losing to Illinois & Minnesota.

Mr. Martinez, you’ve raised a wonderful son. If this were CharacterBoard.com we’d be raving. I hope to see him encouraging the future of this position from the sidelines. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Maybe a little. But he did fumble.

If Nebraska had won, my perception of the game would be different, too. 

Again, the setup on that play was empty backfield, five receivers wide. Our five linemen versus their four men rushing. The play seems to be setup to hit Martin as the crossing man over the middle underneath.

Martinez should have just lobbed the ball to the sideline. That was of course a big mistake there. He must have thought that the inside backer that was staying home over the middle was about snap over into Martin's route. Not sure why he didn't try to zip it to Martin on the crossing route, but he didn't, and then the pocket collapses.

I just wish we had that play back and would have called a wide pitch play to Stepp or Ervin and then had the opportunity to punt the ball if we got stuffed.

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Chin had his way with Brett almost the entire first half.  Defense was not the problem 

There are two halves to every game. The team that learns lessons in the first half and corrects them in the second half is the better team. 

So that first quarter success ends up meaningless. And we're not even mentioning Illinois losing it's starting QB. 

Illinois scored just as many touchdowns against the Nebraska defense in the first half as Nebraska did against a notoriously lousy Illinois defense.

Opening the second half with the game in the balance, the Nebraska defense backpedaled its way to an 8 minute drive that essentially sealed the game. 

Offense, Defense and Special Teams were the problem. That's why this keeps going back to the head coach and the culture. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

special teams play was horrible. give me a new HC who wouldn't teach these kids how to beat themselves.

culture is a joke here. 

Yep.

If Martinez doesn't fumble on that 3rd & 2 in the 2nd and we just punt it away and all other things are equal we still lose the game because we missed two PATs.

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Go back and watch the game.  If your first sentence is still your AM posture, we can't help you.

Numerous times the pocket held for 3+ seconds; he cannot make quick decisions or consistently accurate throws.

He's very very poor at this level.

Yeah, maybe I'm in the minority here, but I thought the OL was something of a bright spot. AM almost always had time to drop back, plant his feet and scan. 

The networks always give you the horizontal cross section of a play, so you really can't see  beyond 10 yards the line of scrimmage. Rarely you get an end zone shot, where you can see the play developing like the quarterback. When QBs hold the ball as long as Martinez and takes a sack or dumps the ball, the booth sometimes gives you the replay to show what a good job the defensive secondary is doing, or possibly the wide open receiver the QB missed.

I didn't see much of this so I can't be sure. But if the play called for deep routes, the OL was generally giving Martinez the time he needed. Adrian's footwork was notably poor. So many throws off the back foot. 

I don't know if there was enough rhythm or imagination in the 15 designed plays to the running backs to fully judge what the OL could do with the running game.