Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

Lubick was an awful hire for an offensive coordinator. I don't know who is calling plays right now, but if it isn't Frost, he should be taking over the duties. I think you have everything you need to fire Verdu as quarterback coach, the guy has proven to be terrible and can't improve a qb. 

If you showed me highlights of Martinez his Freshman year and highlights from the game last Saturday against Illinois, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I was watching the game with someone on Saturday who is knowledgeable about football, but doesnt follow Nebraska football and he saw Martinez playing and commented that he was nervous and asked if he was a Freshman. I had to deliver the unfortunate news to him that Martinez was actually a four year starter.

It was reported this am, maybe as part of the press conference that Frost called the offense this game

Obviously the call to have Frost be CEO and concentrating on culture and coordinating the big picture and making sure special teams is solid was talked about but isn't happening in real life. His call- he gets to own the results. 

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Anyway...I've taken some s*** for defending Adrian in this thread, but in my opinion you have to have the conversation as having two elements:

1. Analyzing Martinez's play in a vacuum.

2. Analyzing his play in the midst of everything else going on with our struggling offense and struggling team in general.

I think he's the easiest target to place blame in a game like Illinois. But I also think that Frost sucks at adjusting and working with what he has instead of running a more pie-in-the-sky scheme that maybe Adrian just can't actually execute...on top of basically spotting almost every team we play roughly 7-14 points from terrible special teams and inopportune penalties.

He's not as bad as everyone is saying.  I mean unless 95% of the guys on this board ragging on him played div 1 qb then maybe they are right in their criticism.  I'm usually critical of DB's because that is what I played and coached.  I played QB in HS and know it's harder than most people think.  I  agree that Frost needs to make some adjustments to what they run.  Just pick a few plays that work and grow off those.  It's like they run stuff that "should work" but never do for whatever reason.  Stop calling them.  

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Nebraska55fan said:

It was reported this am, maybe as part of the press conference that Frost called the offense this game. 

Obviously the call to have Frost be CEO and concentrating on culture and coordinating the big picture isn't happening in real life. His call- he gets to own the results. 

If he is going to be the CEO and try to fix the culture, etc. Then he needs to hire competent assistants that he can trust to get the job done. I think he trusts these coaches to get get the job done, since that is why he hired them, but i dont think they are the best assistants we could have. I think he trusts them because he has coached with them in some capacity in the past and he is friends with them, but they are not Big Ten qualified assistant coaches.

9 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

If he is going to be the CEO and try to fix the culture, etc. Then he needs to hire competent assistants that he can trust to get the job done. I think he trusts these coaches to get get the job done, since that is why he hired them, but i dont think they are the best assistants we could have. I think he trusts them because he has coached with them in some capacity in the past and he is friends with them, but they are not Big Ten qualified assistant coaches.

As CEO you hire based on risk/reward.  The simplest and easiest way to lower hiring risk is to hire people you know and can trust. Thats why coaches hire their friends. Thats why you see so many guys networking at coaches clinics and conferences. Coaches develop networks- then if someone in the network isnt a fit, they ask for referrals from their network.  Many managers and business owners use this approach and it certainly makes sense to a degree. You don't get many crazy, insane, terrible guys. Nepotism can work if you have very moderate goals and expectations. 

But you will often times miss out on the great ones. I've seen it so many times in business and coaching. But THEN you must develop the skill to be able to read and judge coaching talent- without being on the field with someone. 

4 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

Adrian plays better when we are behind.

This!!! ×1000. Its almost like he is too mellow, can't "get the juices flowing," without the pressure of being behind. 

I knew someone like that in college. If they tried to work on a semester paper to get ahead, nothing seemed to click. Start on it 36 hours before the paper was due and he'd crank out a A+ paper in a couple hours flat.

9 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

This!!! ×1000. Its almost like he is too mellow, can't "get the juices flowing," without the pressure of being behind. 

I knew someone like that in college. If they tried to work on a semester paper to get ahead, nothing seemed to click. Start on it 36 hours before the paper was due and he'd crank out a A+ paper in a couple hours flat.

So we should always defer and let them score a td or 2

34 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Lubick was an awful hire for an offensive coordinator. I don't know who is calling plays right now, but if it isn't Frost, he should be taking over the duties. I think you have everything you need to fire Verdu as quarterback coach, the guy has proven to be terrible and can't improve a qb. 

If you showed me highlights of Martinez his Freshman year and highlights from the game last Saturday against Illinois, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I was watching the game with someone on Saturday who is knowledgeable about football, but doesnt follow Nebraska football and he saw Martinez playing and commented that he was nervous and asked if he was a Freshman. I had to deliver the unfortunate news to him that Martinez was actually a four year starter.

No need to criticize the staff's sole loan officer.  Our QB was merely doing as he was instructed; loan the football to the opposition for a defensive touchdown.  The borrower made good on the loan and avoided re-possession.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

If true, then why not play young QB's and see if we can get behind [ha ha].  But seriously, why not develop and see what a new guy can do and bring in AM when down 14 points.  What is there to lose?

Have you seen our other QBs play? 

Smothers is a worse version of AM

Haarberg is a project

They are all coached by Verduzco. That story wont end well. Think about McCaffrey last year- but worse. He was 1 TD and 6 Ints. 

1 minute ago, BigRedN said:

If true, then why not play young QB's and see if we can get behind [ha ha].  But seriously, why not develop and see what a new guy can do and bring in AM when down 14 points.  What is there to lose?

Given the state of the program, the more difficult question for us as fans to confront is, what is there to gain?  The drills, the schemes, the system may all be gone next season anyway.  We are all simply waiting for the eventuality of transition.