Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

Something was just horribly wrong with offensive execution. Yes, Martinez was a part of that bad execution - but the running game didn't go well at all, and that's concerning for the rest of this season. Illinois isn't a great team on defense, IMO.

When a team is putting enough guys at the line to stop your run, you have to be able to have enough passing to make them pay for it.  It seemed like we were either sending all WRs deep, or having multiple WRs/TEs running short routes which makes it easier to defend.  Where was the deep routes with a TE or WR crossing on a short route to dump it off.  Maybe they were there, but I don't remember many.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Plus the field position was against the defense much of the game 

Right, and this is basically Frost's trademark at this point - constantly losing the field position battle because of atrocious special teams.

I pretty much have no faith in him fixing it if it hasn't been fixed by now.

56 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Well one would THINK we would have gone for 2 if we scored again- even with the Martinez fumble.  Not sure- our coaching staff does seem to be math challenged. See since we were down by 8 and you get 6 for a TD, we would only need 2 to tie it up. One can only hope our coaching staff would understand that.  AND because now its kind of a Special Teams thing going for 2 and all- we probably would have done something coyote and roadrunner like to miss the 2 pointer. But we have a chance to tie it up, ever so slight as that may be. 

AM missing wide open passes for TDs with plenty of time- cost us as well. Our QB isnt very good at all- but hes the best we have thanks to an inept coaching staff. It is what it is. 

Riddle me this, who exactly have we recruited since Crouch would you consider good?  Arguably the best recruiting head coach we've had in the last two decades couldn't even recruit a stud QB which is why he took two transfers.  We seem to always get athletic QBs who may get plenty of offers but it's usually for a different position.  

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

When a team is putting enough guys at the line to stop your run, you have to be able to have enough passing to make them pay for it.  It seemed like we were either sending all WRs deep, or having multiple WRs/TEs running short routes which makes it easier to defend.  Where was the deep routes with a TE or WR crossing on a short route to dump it off.  Maybe they were there, but I don't remember many.

Right, and where were the shorter swing passes that Lubick had seemed to actually get figured out last year?

Offensive execution was pretty bad in the first half. In the second half we actually got some stuff going. We had another good drive going on the one where Martinez hit Toure down the left sideline for a great first down gain...but that was called back due to Martin getting called for a pick play.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Yes or play action passing game. 

Only time I remember play action was very late in the game when clock and the threat of the running game is very low. BUT great run fakes- which seemed to fool no one and do nothing but waste time getting into the pocket. 

LOVE throwing play action when guys think you are going to run

Late in the game when behind and no one expects you are going to run- not so much

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Riddle me this, who exactly have we recruited since Crouch would you consider good?  Arguably the best recruiting head coach we've had in the last two decades couldn't even recruit a stud QB which is why he took two transfers.  We seem to always get athletic QBs who may get plenty of offers but it's usually for a different position.  

I thought Joe Ganz was pretty good. 

They should have went into the portal and given that a look. I heard there was once this guy named Joe Burrow we could have gotten. 

Joe Ganz was recruited by that DC everyone wants to bag on not named Diaco.  Ganz was so well thought of that we brought in Keller.  I'm not saying Ganz wasn't a decent QB, but let's be honest he had his flaws or have you forgot about the 07' game against KU?    

We do get some pretty decent athletes which is why we are usually rated in the top 25 for recruiting classes.  However, we do not get top rated QBs.  It would appear to me that we have two options.  Option one is getting top rated QBs.  Option two is changing the offense so that it doesn't revolve around the QB.  Getting top rated QBs is like finding a unicorn.  In the last 20 years, I would say we have really only had one unicorn and that was Suh and he didn't play QB.  The offense needs to change.  We need to be in a position like Illinois was Saturday where if the starting QB goes down we can bring in our backup and be successful.  

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Maybe a little. But he did fumble.

If Nebraska had won, my perception of the game would be different, too. 

It’s was a piss poor play call on 3 and 2. 4 wideouts and a crap line. Nothing good was going to happen, even if he didn’t fumble. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Getting top rated QBs is like finding a unicorn.

Yep. And I'm pretty sure that McKenzie Milton was that unicorn. Especially a unicorn because he completely flew under the radar in the recruiting landscape and then played waaaaay beyond what his potential would have been expected to be based on recruiting profile.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Yep. And I'm pretty sure that McKenzie Milton was that unicorn. Especially a unicorn because he completely flew under the radar in the recruiting landscape and then played waaaaay beyond what his potential would have been expected to be based on recruiting profile.

Ok, so what came first the chicken or the egg?  Did Frost make what Milton would become?  Or, did Milton make Frost look better than he actually is?  IMO, the offense has two big problems.  First, we don't have the road graders up to open holes and keep guys off the QB.  Second, the entire success and failure of a play rests almost entirely on the QB.  

19 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Joe Ganz was recruited by that DC everyone wants to bag on not named Diaco.  Ganz was so well thought of that we brought in Keller.  I'm not saying Ganz wasn't a decent QB, but let's be honest he had his flaws or have you forgot about the 07' game against KU?    

Not so sure about that

44 TDs and 18 Ints in 1 and 1/3 seasons as a starter and what 5,000 yards 

Not bad, Not perfect. WOuld take it now in a heartbeat

https://huskers.com/sports/football/roster/joe-ganz/14317