Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

15 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yep.

If Martinez doesn't fumble on that 3rd & 2 in the 2nd and we just punt it away and all other things are equal we still lose the game because we missed two PATs.

Well one would THINK we would have gone for 2 if we scored again- even with the Martinez fumble.  Not sure- our coaching staff does seem to be math challenged. See since we were down by 8 and you get 6 for a TD, we would only need 2 to tie it up. One can only hope our coaching staff would understand that.  AND because now its kind of a Special Teams thing going for 2 and all- we probably would have done something coyote and roadrunner like to miss the 2 pointer. But we have a chance to tie it up, ever so slight as that may be. 

AM missing wide open passes for TDs with plenty of time- cost us as well. Our QB isnt very good at all- but hes the best we have thanks to an inept coaching staff. It is what it is. 

2 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

AM missing wide open passes for TDs with plenty of time- cost us as well.

I completely agree with this statement. We did get a field goal (miraculously IMO) on the drive where he misses on that pass - but I completely agree with your statement.

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Not following you here.  Are you saying giving up 21 points while the offense is constantly putting the defense in bad field position isn’t good enough to win a ball game?  

Maybe it should be good enough, but that wasn't my point at all. 

Having the defense hold up for almost half a football game against a really weak opponent in game 1 with a new coach shouldn't be a sign for for people the defense isn't an issue.

8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:
1 hour ago, DefenderAO said:

Yeah, maybe I'm in the minority here, but I thought the OL was something of a bright spot. AM almost always had time to drop back, plant his feet and scan. 

He had plenty of time in the Illinois game.  Yes AM has bad feet, but the pocket presence is abysmal.  I would bet that his biggest issue is that he sees the rush instead of feeling the rush and that’s why he can’t pick up his receivers fast enough and misses the open windows.  It also plays a role in his bad feet.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, The Dude said:

Maybe it should be good enough, but that wasn't my point at all. 

Having the defense hold up for almost half a football game against a really weak opponent in game 1 with a new coach shouldn't be a sign for for people the defense isn't an issue.

I agree here that when one side of the ball (plus special teams) is sucking a$$, the other side of the ball has to play an outstanding game to get the win.  This didn’t happen Saturday, but defense is way down the line on reasons for losing.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

He had plenty of time in the Illinois game.  Yes AM has bad feet, but the pocket presence is abysmal.  I would bet that his biggest issue is that he sees the rush instead of feeling the rush and that’s why he can’t pick up his receivers fast enough and misses the open windows.  It also plays a role in his bad feet.  

Correct- 100%

Many times QBs evade the rush by sidestepping, moving up in the pocket or roll out. You do it via your peripheral vision- LOTS of drills on that. Martinez just doesn't have good pocket awareness. Unlike accuracy that skill can be improved upon, but our opera aficionado Verduzco doesn't seem to be able to teach that very well either. 

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree here that when one side of the ball (plus special teams) is sucking a$$, the other side of the ball has to play an outstanding game to get the win.  This didn’t happen Saturday, but defense is way down the line on reasons for losing.  

Sort of.  They still gave up 21 against a really weak opponent in game 1 with a new coach. 

There's massive amounts of room for improvement there.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

And the defense gave up 21 points in total while being on the field for 34 minutes.  Defense wasn’t the problem.  

Even though it was frustrating how they came out at half and gave up a 75 yard TD drive, I tend to agree.  21 points should give the offense enough to win the game.  On the field for 34 minutes in that heat.  The offense needs to start putting the defense in better positions to be successful.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

21 points should give the offense enough to win the game.  On the field for 34 minutes in that heat.  The offense needs to start putting the defense in better positions to be successful.

Agreed.

And another thing that is really flying under the radar is how ineffective our base running game really was. Again, we had 160 yards rushing where 75 of those was Adrian's (very smart and athletic) broken play scramble for a touchdown.

Let's say that particular series goes 3 & out on three separate passing plays with no extra rushing yards on that drive...We'd be legitimately looking at not having even cracked 100 yards rushing on the day.

Something was just horribly wrong with offensive execution. Yes, Martinez was a part of that bad execution - but the running game didn't go well at all, and that's concerning for the rest of this season. Illinois isn't a great team on defense, IMO.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Even though it was frustrating how they came out at half and gave up a 75 yard TD drive, I tend to agree.  21 points should give the offense enough to win the game.  On the field for 34 minutes in that heat.  The offense needs to start putting the defense in better positions to be successful.

Plus the field position was against the defense much of the game 

• Plus1 2
57 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

If I had a nickel for every time a Nebraska fan said or thought "throw it" when Adrian was in the pocket, and he still had the ball, I'd have retired before Pre-K school.