Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

Tell me how Frost went from coaching Mariota, to seeing the hidden gem and recruited Justin Herbert, and coached McKenzie Milton, but somehow can't coach up Martinez, and apparently can't develop any backup quarterback. It doesn't make sense. Did Frost just get incredibly lucky with 3 amazing quarterbacks? If so, he should be playing the lottery. I just don't see how Frost comes to Nebraska and suddenly can't coach up a quarterback and can't develop any quarterbacks.

It's strange, because it isn't a staff issue since this staff is mainly the one he had at UCF, he's got some former Oregon coaches who were around during Mariota's days, so i dont know what the problem is.

• Plus1 2

Just now, BoNeyard said:

Tell me how Frost went from coaching Mariota, to seeing the hidden gem and recruited Justin Herbert, and coached McKenzie Milton, but somehow can't coach up Martinez, and apparently can't develop any backup quarterback. It doesn't make sense. Did Frost just get incredibly lucky with 3 amazing quarterbacks? If so, he should be playing the lottery. I just don't see how Frost comes to Nebraska and suddenly can't coach up a quarterback and can't develop any quarterbacks.

It's strange, because it isn't a staff issue since this staff is mainly the one he had at UCF, he's got some former Oregon coaches who were around during Mariota's days, so i dont know what the problem is.

How many of our coaches are in their first P5 gig? 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, skers83 said:

This could be the biggest problem with the QBs. Whatever he is whispering in their ear is not working.  

yes but a second string castoff from Rutgers- beat out by no one other than Noah Vedral came in and went what 12-15 and won the game for Illinois. But our talent isnt good enough to beat other teams?? Maybe, just maybe it's the coaching. 

Fire Verduzco- hes certainly at retirement age and can just move in with his hobbit friends when this is all over. 

Just now, Hedley Lamarr said:

How many of our coaches are in their first P5 gig? 

True, but Lubick and Chinander coached at Oregon. I dont know if Chinander was ever their defensive coordinator, but I think Lubick was an offensive coordinator at Oregon for a short time. 

Nonetheless, this staff from UCF saw and was able to develop one heck of an offense and one heck of a quarterback in McKenzie Milton. I think that UCF team beats a majority of P5 teams. Frost's track record is very good with quarterbacks, again unless he was gifted three natural gifted generational quarterbacks in a row. Frost may need to be one on one with the QB's and develop them himself.

Fire Verduzco and put his salary towards a special teams coach.

Just now, BoNeyard said:

True, but Lubick and Chinander coached at Oregon. I dont know if Chinander was ever their defensive coordinator, but I think Lubick was an offensive coordinator at Oregon for a short time. 

Nonetheless, this staff from UCF saw and was able to develop one heck of an offense and one heck of a quarterback in McKenzie Milton. I think that UCF team beats a majority of P5 teams. Frost's track record is very good with quarterbacks, again unless he was gifted three natural gifted generational quarterbacks in a row. Frost may need to be one on one with the QB's and develop them himself.

Fire Verduzco and put his salary towards a special teams coach.

We hired Lubick away from a bank in Colorado and Chinander has 1 year of p5 experience as an OLB coach at Oregon. Chins has shown an ability to put together a defensive gameplan and look competent. Our HC and banker havent. 

2 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

ANd the tired excuse that the blocking wasn't there just isn't true on this play. 

Pass blocking was there most of the game. Martinez had 4-6 seconds in the pocket to make a decision. He either ended up taking a sack, or over throwing his intended target by 15 yards. 

The WR's have been criticized for 4 years for not being able to get open. It should be clear now that this hasn't been the fault of the WR's getting open, it's Martinez needing 10-15 seconds of a comfortable pocket to make a decision and even then it is uncertain if he can actually make the throw.

Wandale likely left because he was tired of burning his opponents ankles and never getting the ball and then the scrutiny falling on his positional group for not being able to get open. Due to the television broadcast, we rarely see what is happening downfield, but i have a hard time believing no wr is open after 4-6 seconds. 

3 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

We hired Lubick away from a bank in Colorado and Chinander has 1 year of p5 experience as an OLB coach at Oregon. Chins has shown an ability to put together a defensive gameplan and look competent. Our HC and banker havent. 

I dont know why he didn't go after Helfrich for offensive coordinator if he was going to try and retread some of these former Oregon coaches. But yes, Frost will need to make coaching changes this off-season. I am not even sold on Chinander. The defense did once again allow a backup QB come in and look really really good and they did allow Illinois to open the half with a nice methodical 9 minute drive. Granted, the backup QB coming in on the "Blackshirts" (Those are air quotes as that unit and true meaning died in 2001) and looking like a heisman candidate is simply a Nebraska football problem and not something new just under Chinander.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Anyway...I've taken some s*** for defending Adrian in this thread, but in my opinion you have to have the conversation as having two elements:

1. Analyzing Martinez's play in a vacuum.

2. Analyzing his play in the midst of everything else going on with our struggling offense and struggling team in general.

I think he's the easiest target to place blame in a game like Illinois. But I also think that Frost sucks at adjusting and working with what he has instead of running a more pie-in-the-sky scheme that maybe Adrian just can't actually execute...on top of basically spotting almost every team we play roughly 7-14 points from terrible special teams and inopportune penalties.

I really don't like picking out one player and criticizing him because of what you said.  There are 11 other players along with coaches, schemes and play calling that all play a part in if something is successful.  However, in this instance, the play design got WRs open enough to win the game.  The ball wasn't thrown to them or they were completely missed.  Everything else worked.  There is only one person that can get the WRs the ball and that's the QB.

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

That is what is totally baffling to me.

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There is only one person that can get the WRs the ball and that's the QB.

Good point and nothing that can even be disagreed with there!

There were several "what-if's" in that game though. As you pointed out he got things going in the second half. If Martin doesn't make the pick play on the big first down to Toure and we drive down the field for a touchdown there and hadn't missed two PATs, maybe we win 31-30.

Either way, combining the struggles Martinez had with the atrocious special teams and penalties, this is probably another 5-7 season. I want to be wrong so bad there.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I really don't like picking out one player and criticizing him because of what you said.  There are 11 other players along with coaches, schemes and play calling that all play a part in if something is successful.  However, in this instance, the play design got WRs open enough to win the game.  The ball wasn't thrown to them or they were completely missed.  Everything else worked.  There is only one person that can get the WRs the ball and that's the QB.

Yeah their backup started 15 games at a P5 school.  Rutgers wasn't good but was it his fault.  He looked pretty good to me.  His passes were on the money and they called the right plays.  Not like they had some guy who hadn't seen any action his whole career

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Yeah their backup started 15 games at a P5 school.  Rutgers wasn't good but was it his fault.  He looked pretty good to me.  His passes were on the money and they called the right plays.  Not like they had some guy who hadn't seen any action his whole career

Correct- and he was beat out by our THIRD TEAM QB :dunno

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Correct- and he was beat out by our THIRD TEAM QB :dunno

Maybe because they wanted a more mobile Qb?  When he was in Illinois ran more of a pro style shotgun offense.  He wasn't making reads on running plays.  He was just handing off on run plays and making reads on pass plays.  Don't think there were many RPO's when he was in