Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

22 hours ago, Decked said:

Adrian sucks as a football player. /end of thread 

Yeah his play his abysmal... Honestly tho, i put 80% of this on Mario V and Scott F.  The guy has straight regressed since he came here and so many of his throws are on his back foot..

You know what happens when you throw off the back foot?  You tend to put more loft on the ball and more oftentimes than not the ball drifts with not as much zip as there should be.

You know what I constantly see from 2AM?  Lofted overthrows that tend to take a split second too long to get to its intended target.

Scott Frost as a CEO receives an F in my book- he's surrounded himself with people that in the end will doom him to failure.. there's that famous quote of you never want to be the smartest one in the room, surround yourself with those who will challenge you and make you better- Frosty seems to do the exact opposite of this in regards to his offensive staff and it shows on the field

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Yeah his play his abysmal... Honestly tho, i put 80% of this on Mario V and Scott F.  The guy has straight regressed since he came here and so many of his throws are on his back foot..

You know what happens when you throw off the back foot?  You tend to put more loft on the ball and more oftentimes than not the ball drifts with not as much zip as there should be.

You know what I constantly see from 2AM?  Lofted overthrows that tend to take a split second too long to get to its intended target.

Scott Frost as a CEO receives an F in my book- he's surrounded himself with people that in the end will doom him to failure.. there's that famous quote of you never want to be the smartest one in the room, surround yourself with those who will challenge you and make you better- Frosty seems to do the exact opposite of this in regards to his offensive staff and it shows on the field

I wish we'd stop talking about coaching and regression when it comes to QB.....................

It's really pretty simple.  They recruited the wrong QB.

Frost hit a homerun with Milton.  Dude had a horrifying leg injury and looked amazing in the FSU spring coach.  New flash, coach Frost or Mario haven't been with him in a while.  Milton was the difference in for Frost at UCF.  Not to mention that the winless season is often spoken of without talking about the fact that team won the Fiesta Bowl two years before Frost arrived.

You really believe they don't tell AM to not throw of his back foot?  You really believe there is drill that will stop him from not hitting open receivers?  Google Mike Leach and QB Accuracy.  Plenty of good stuff there.

He's hitched on to AM and Frost is being exposed that he isn't the coach for the job.  This isn't 1978 where TO is debating going to Colorado.  He was 55-15 at that time.  Frost is a dumpster fire.  On the field and off (allegedly).  It's just not going to work.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I wish we'd stop talking about coaching and regression when it comes to QB.....................

It's really pretty simple.  They recruited the wrong QB.

Frost hit a homerun with Milton.  Dude had a horrifying leg injury and looked amazing in the FSU spring coach.  New flash, coach Frost or Mario haven't been with him in a while.  Milton was the difference in for Frost at UCF.  Not to mention that the winless season is often spoken of without talking about the fact that team won the Fiesta Bowl two years before Frost arrived.

You really believe they don't tell AM to not throw of his back foot?  You really believe there is drill that will stop him from not hitting open receivers?  Google Mike Leach and QB Accuracy.  Plenty of good stuff there.

He's hitched on to AM and Frost is being exposed that he isn't the coach for the job.  This isn't 1978 where TO is debating going to Colorado.  He was 55-15 at that time.  Frost is a dumpster fire.  On the field and off (allegedly).  It's just not going to work.

Perhaps you're right on recruiting the wrong QB... but they also dont have a qb room behind him and they haven't developed a single QB. In fact, a few others have gone elsewhere and seem to have done better N Vedral and I'd even take Gebbia back right now.

I have no idea if they are or are not telling him to not throw off his back foot.  All i can base it off of us game tape and hes constantly doing this, in year 4.  And I don't necessarily buy the recruit the wrong qb thing- he looked just fine as a freshman and has regressed since.  If he was perceived as the right qb then, but 3 years later is not, wouldn't some of this be driven by s#!tty coaching?

You can also take a deep breath- feel free to google mario v's track record as a qb coach- its a joke.  Plenty of good stuff there

1 minute ago, gossamorharpy said:

Perhaps you're right on recruiting the wrong QB... but they also dont have a qb room behind him and they haven't developed a single QB. In fact, a few others have gone elsewhere and seem to have done better N Vedral and I'd even take Gebbia back right now.

I have no idea if they are or are not telling him to not throw off his back foot.  All i can base it off of us game tape and hes constantly doing this, in year 4.  And I don't necessarily buy the recruit the wrong qb thing- he looked just fine as a freshman and has regressed since.  If he was perceived as the right qb then, but 3 years later is not, wouldn't some of this be driven by s#!tty coaching?

You can also take a deep breath- feel free to google mario v's track record as a qb coach- its a joke.  Plenty of good stuff there

Freshman year was hype.  There are plenty of red flags from that season.  We were all drinking koolaide then and dismissed mistakes as freshman errors.  He isn’t worse.  He’s the same as he’s always been.

You can’t turn your aunt into your uncle.  And because you can’t do that doesn’t make you a bad position coach.https://footballscoop.com/news/mike-leach-quarterback-isnt-accurate-shouldnt-recruit

However, I agree with you on one thing.  The inability to recruit a back up QB or grad transfer is flat out sad.

7 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Freshman year was hype.  There are plenty of red flags from that season.  We were all drinking koolaide then and dismissed mistakes as freshman errors.  He isn’t worse.  He’s the same as he’s always been.

You can’t turn your aunt into your uncle.  And because you can’t do that doesn’t make you a bad position coach.https://footballscoop.com/news/mike-leach-quarterback-isnt-accurate-shouldnt-recruit

However, I agree with you on one thing.  The inability to recruit a back up QB or grad transfer is flat out sad.

Perhaps full of hype... But the same as he's always been is a direct indictment on the ineptitude of mario V's developmental skills.  Its mind boggling to me given Frosty has more experience in the QB coach department yet he thinks its wise to eat up a coaching spot for Mario Vs b!^@h a$$ instead of hiring say a dedicated ST coach to own recruiting and coaching when ST has been an absolute embarassment for us.

If I'm frosty, how am I not just HC/QB coach and let Lubick own OC and then hire a ST coach?  If I'm Trev and I'm giving frosty another year to figure this out this is a tough conversation I'm havibng.  I understand its tough to fire/dismiss close friends but unfortunately said friends are going to be the anchor that brings you down.

And hey, u dont know if u cant turn your aunt into your uncle!! feel like this is something that happens down in alabama all the time and they seem to do just fine! ;)

• Plus1 1

Could have made quicker passing decisions. Seemed to take a little too much time in the pocket.  And other times the line got beat causing pressure.  Can't explain the several passes he probably wishes he had back.  But he aslo ran well, and threw some good passes too.  Hope he bounces back. 

Middle of the third quarter our offense started to look exactly like what it should. Obviously there's no excuse for it to take 2.5 quarters to get there.

Quick tidbit: Notice the starting field position? Another kickoff return where we shouldn't have even tried to run it out - just take the touchback and start on the 25. So tired of that. Anyway, press play below to start the drive (and note that a play or two is omitted from this highlight video):

-On 1st down, awesome pass protection and Manning runs a great route, then shows his physicality in yards after catch.

-Ervin is back in and picks up a first down on the ground.

-Awesome pass protection, Toure runs a great route and a perfectly thrown medium length pass by Adrian. Takes us down to their 18...but it's called back due to a pretty dumb play by Martin.

One big thing that sticks out to me from this game is that we just didn't have a decent base running game at all. Even with a 50% completion rate Adrian still threw for 232 and it would have been over 250 if this last play to Toure doesn't get flagged.

11 minutes ago, Undone said:

Middle of the third quarter our offense started to look exactly like what it should. Obviously there's no excuse for it to take 2.5 quarters to get there.

Quick tidbit: Notice the starting field position? Another kickoff return where we shouldn't have even tried to run it out - just take the touchback and start on the 25. So tired of that. Anyway, press play below to start the drive (and note that a play or two is omitted from this highlight video):

-On 1st down, awesome pass protection and Manning runs a great route, then shows his physicality in yards after catch.

-Ervin is back in and picks up a first down on the ground.

-Awesome pass protection, Toure runs a great route and a perfectly thrown medium length pass by Adrian. Takes us down to their 18...but it's called back due to a pretty dumb play by Martin.

One big thing that sticks out to me from this game is that we just didn't have a decent base running game at all. Even with a 50% completion rate Adrian still threw for 232 and it would have been over 250 if this last play to Toure doesn't get flagged.

He did a bad job selling it, but that was also a BS call. Everyone runs picks/rubs, and this never gets called. If he stops in front of the guy sure, but in my very-biased-but-I-think-correct opinion Martin is stopping to put his move on the guy covering him. It's at least plausible, and you don't call OPI if it's plausible that the contact was incidental. 

https://imgur.com/a/ms10jQQ

I can't get the screenshots to work on this board, but not only is Martin making a move, his guy tries to engage him threw his own guy - second screenshot in the album. Technically a pick? Sure. Not one that ever gets called, unless you totally miss what happened and just look up to see the DB tangled with the WR. Maybe something to do with 2 Umpires getting knocked out of the game. Anyone ever see that before?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Undone said:

I actually don't have a big problem with this.  Last year they fair caught about all of them and the fans were upset. Reality is, those fans don't understand the rules of starting at the 25.  This game, I think almost all of them got out to the 20, so it wasn't that big of a deal.  At least they tried.  Now, I would like them to do that more the next two weeks against weaker teams. But, against good teams, they need to strategically be smart about it and guarantee them starting at the 25.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I actually don't have a big problem with this.  Last year they fair caught about all of them and the fans were upset. Reality is, those fans don't understand the rules of starting at the 25.  This game, I think almost all of them got out to the 20, so it wasn't that big of a deal.  At least they tried.  Now, I would like them to do that more the next two weeks against weaker teams. But, against good teams, they need to strategically be smart about it and guarantee them starting at the 25.

But I believe it's about analyzing the stats. So just hypothetically, let's say it was shown that last season 80% of the time that we tried to run it out we didn't get past the 25. And let's say 50% of those times you don't make it to the 20.

I'm not sitting here saying I just rewatched every game and jotted all kickoff returns down and did that math, but I definitely remember it differently than you. Maybe I'm not remembering it accurately, but I remember that a very substantial amount of times we'd receive a kick from inside the 4-5 yard line and then not make it out to the 20 let alone the 25.

It then seems like small potatoes until you look at how our kickoff coverage team is generally also terrible at covering kickoffs. The stackup of our average starting field position compared to that of our opponent's then gets really ugly - and that's a huge deal in the B1G.

One big positive though from this game: We were kicking the ball into the end zone on kickoffs - good improvement there.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

But I believe it's about analyzing the stats. So just hypothetically, let's say it was shown that last season 80% of the time that we tried to run it out we didn't get past the 25. And let's say 50% of those times you don't make it to the 20.

I'm not sitting here saying I just rewatched every game and jotted all kickoff returns down and did that math, but I definitely remember it differently than you. Maybe I'm not remembering it accurately, but I remember that a very substantial amount of times we'd receive a kick from inside the 4-5 yard line and then not make it out to the 20 let alone the 25.

It then seems like small potatoes until you look at how our kickoff coverage team is generally also terrible at covering kickoffs. The stackup of our average starting field position compared to that of our opponent's then gets really ugly - and that's a huge deal in the B1G.

One big positive though from this game: We were kicking the ball into the end zone on kickoffs - good improvement there.

Yes, the kickoffs were a big improvement.

I believe, in these early games against what you consider weaker opponents, you do it to get experience in doing it and learn if your return game is decent or not.  Then, as we get into tougher games, you look at their coverage units and if they are good, you fair catch.  If they are bad, then you try some returns.  But, you don't know what your team is capable of if you haven't done it in these earlier games.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I believe, in these early games against what you consider weaker opponents, you do it to get experience in doing it and learn if your return game is decent or not.  Then, as we get into tougher games, you look at their coverage units and if they are good, you fair catch.  If they are bad, then you try some returns.  But, you don't know what your team is capable of if you haven't done it in these earlier games.

Totally agree here. Especially smarter to do it in the next two games specifically just for the reps.

23 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

He did a bad job selling it, but that was also a BS call. Everyone runs picks/rubs, and this never gets called. If he stops in front of the guy sure, but in my very-biased-but-I-think-correct opinion Martin is stopping to put his move on the guy covering him. It's at least plausible, and you don't call OPI if it's plausible that the contact was incidental. 

https://imgur.com/a/ms10jQQ

I can't get the screenshots to work on this board, but not only is Martin making a move, his guy tries to engage him threw his own guy - second screenshot in the album. Technically a pick? Sure. Not one that ever gets called, unless you totally miss what happened and just look up to see the DB tangled with the WR. Maybe something to do with 2 Umpires getting knocked out of the game. Anyone ever see that before?

It was intentionally called to stop NU's momentum. Just like the holding call on the same drive and most glaringly the roughing the passer call/ taunting.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1