The Georgia runoff for the control of the Senate

Just now, Archy1221 said:

Trump can be criticized as much as anyone wants.  90% of news concerning Trump is negative (that’s published data) so we definitely get plenty of it.  

Is it possible to hold Democrats to account for actions without naming Trump less than 5 posts later?   

This conversation isn’t about Trump or the Georgia Dem.  This thread has turned to a conversation about your lack of self awareness or trolling. Not sure which because both would be on point.

Just now, Archy1221 said:

Maybe I  will make sure to sign off all my posts with Orange Man bad, CheetoHead, Trump sucks, Trump probably did it too, with every post I make so everyone is happy.  

You do you!

2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This conversation isn’t about Trump or the Georgia Dem.  This thread has turned to a conversation about your lack of self awareness or trolling. Not sure which because both would be on point.

You do you!

Hmmmm.  Posting a story about Warnock asking if this is the best Dems can do is now considered trolling.   :thumbs  

I didn’t derail the thread.  I have defended myself from stupid posts.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I just wonder how everyone got started talking Trump on a GA runoff thread and Warnock domestic dispute in particular.  I certainly didn’t bring him up.  Yep people here can’t resist bringing Trump into everything. 

Simple.  Trumpers criticizing someone for being accused of abusing women is laughable. When it clearly was only posted because you are sick of having the guy you support accused of rape.  

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Trump can be criticized as much as anyone wants.  90% of news concerning Trump is negative (that’s published data) so we definitely get plenty of it.  

Is it possible to hold Democrats to account for actions without naming Trump less than 5 posts later?   

A central NE editorial weighs in

https://kearneyhub.com/opinion/americans/article_9db0b7a0-45f4-11eb-af8f-0f92d937c514.html

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

The last sentence of the article was spot on.  The rest of the article, not so much.  It seems to paint Trump as the victim, which is complete BS.  It's a narrative that is pretty much what I would expect, though, from a cultural diversity-deficient rural Nebraska community.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I don’t watch “the news”.

I watched Trump and his Twitter account. I can appreciate an a$$h@!e being called an a$$h@!e.  

If main stream media reported Trump being an a$$h@!e, I guess I’d be just as surprised at an expose of ice cream being a popular dessert dish in the American diet...

• Fire 1
11 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

The last sentence of the article was spot on.  The rest of the article, not so much.  It seems to paint Trump as the victim, which is complete BS.  It's a narrative that is pretty much what I would expect, though, from a cultural diversity-deficient rural Nebraska community.

What brought "cultural diversity defincient" into the topic?

12 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

What brought "cultural diversity defincient" into the topic?

What exactly is the topic?  I’m not sure.  The thread is on the Georgia Runoff Election, but we’re now apparently discussing Trump and his relationship with the media.  To answer your question, it is my strong belief that the general lack of cultural diversity is why most rural areas of midwestern states are redder than red when it comes to politics.  I’m not saying it’s wrong or right, just what I believe to be true.   It comes from my personal experience growing up in one of these diversity deficient towns and now, for the past 25 years, reside in a larger metro area.  So that article from the Kearney Hub is really not surprising to me in the way that it describes Trump battling and in some cases being victimized by the media (left), while making no mention of how the right wing media has continuously hammered the Clintons, Obamas and now Bidens.  It would have been have been a pretty good article had it addressed that side of the problem too, but it didn’t.  In my opinion, Right bias was there, even only if in a somewhat subtle way.  And it’s too bad because closing sentence of the article was stated very well and is something I wish more people would realize.  Unfortunately, I fear that many of the good folks in and around Kearney reading this will only take this as further affirmation that CNN and MSNBC, etc  are “one-sided” and that is why the media is “wrong.” 

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

What exactly is the topic?  I’m not sure.  The thread is on the Georgia Runoff Election, but we’re now apparently discussing Trump and his relationship with the media.  To answer your question, it is my strong belief that the general lack of cultural diversity is why most rural areas of midwestern states are redder than red when it comes to politics.  I’m not saying it’s wrong or right, just what I believe to be true.   It comes from my personal experience growing up in one of these diversity deficient towns and now, for the past 25 years, reside in a larger metro area.  So that article from the Kearney Hub is really not surprising to me in the way that it describes Trump battling and in some cases being victimized by the media (left), while making no mention of how the right wing media has continuously hammered the Clintons, Obamas and now Bidens.  It would have been have been a pretty good article had it addressed that side of the problem too, but it didn’t.  In my opinion, Right bias was there, even only if in a somewhat subtle way.  And it’s too bad because closing sentence of the article was stated very well and is something I wish more people would realize.  Unfortunately, I fear that many of the good folks in and around Kearney reading this will only take this as further affirmation that CNN and MSNBC, etc  are “one-sided” and that is why the media is “wrong.” 

Thanks, I can't disagree with your take on the OpEd. 

I would, however, encourage you to do a little research regarding the level of cultural diversity outside of Omaha. Check out school system racial data for smaller towns like S. Sioux City, Schuyler, Crete, Grand Island, Lexington, Scottsbluff/Gering etc. If your POV is from 25 years ago, "greater Nebraska" might have changed a bit. 

47 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I would, however, encourage you to do a little research regarding the level of cultural diversity outside of Omaha. Check out school system racial data for smaller towns like S. Sioux City, Schuyler, Crete, Grand Island, Lexington, Scottsbluff/Gering etc. If your POV is from 25 years ago, "greater Nebraska" might have changed a bit. 

What he is saying is is still true for most small towns in Nebraska. Schuyler is a meat packing plant town, not sure about the other small ones. Grand Island isn't really "small town" to most Nebraskans. Towns that have been "invaded" by Mexican immigrants in a short amount of time are not suddenly going to be open-minded about people who look different than they do. They're probably going to be angrier about immigrants than people in your average small town. And, just guessing here, but the transplants probably have a lower voting rate.

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Unfortunately my home town hasn’t changed much from a diversity standpoint the past 25 years, but I see your point.  There’s no doubt parts of Nebraska are changing in that regard, but is it the right kind of diversity yet?  Are the minorities fully integrated into society in those communities? Or are they still viewed as outsiders?  I think it takes at least a couple of generations for a good level of diversity to begin.  It’s surely a step in the right direction.   My parents are originally from and I have extended family still living in one of your aforementioned towns.   For my parents and myself, it’s actually a point of contention.  They used to see it as the “Mexicans” ruining their hometown and I very much disagreed and saw it as saving the town while trying to explain why diversity was important.  I would imagine many older generation conservatives in Nebraska just aren’t easily convinced.  They like things to remain familiar to them.  I get it, but also look back at my teenage years and realize how incredibly clueless and uncomfortable I was about people who didn’t look like me.  

51 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Unfortunately my home town hasn’t changed much from a diversity standpoint the past 25 years, but I see your point.  There’s no doubt parts of Nebraska are changing in that regard, but is it the right kind of diversity yet?  Are the minorities fully integrated into society in those communities? Or are they still viewed as outsiders?  I think it takes at least a couple of generations for a good level of diversity to begin.  It’s surely a step in the right direction.   My parents are originally from and I have extended family still living in one of your aforementioned towns.   For my parents and myself, it’s actually a point of contention.  They used to see it as the “Mexicans” ruining their hometown and I very much disagreed and saw it as saving the town while trying to explain why diversity was important.  I would imagine many older generation conservatives in Nebraska just aren’t easily convinced.  They like things to remain familiar to them.  I get it, but also look back at my teenage years and realize how incredibly clueless and uncomfortable I was about people who didn’t look like me.  

I too am from aforementioned towns and largely would agree with the "invasion" point of view. It took me leaving and learning a lot from after my time there to appreciate what was around me. I don't know Scottsbluff/Gering as well, but being from a meat packing plant family, I know all the other towns you listed are meat packing plant towns/cities and I wouldn't call any of them small (for Nebraska). 

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

What he is saying is is still true for most small towns in Nebraska. Schuyler is a meat packing plant town, not sure about the other small ones. Grand Island isn't really "small town" to most Nebraskans. Towns that have been "invaded" by Mexican immigrants in a short amount of time are not suddenly going to be open-minded about people who look different than they do. They're probably going to be angrier about immigrants than people in your average small town. And, just guessing here, but the transplants probably have a lower voting rate.

Not going to say that your argument regarding open mindedness is always off base.

However, I will point out that your reference to Mexican immigrants is a little antiquated. Immigrants from Mexico have been in Central Nebraska longer than my family from Eastern Europe. There was a long period where they were the primary ethnic group. But now, most newcomers to the towns I listed are no longer from Mexico. Central Americans, Cubans, Sudanese and Somali refugees are much more prevalent today. 

51 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

When my kids were growing up, we taught them that the cultural diversity in our town was a benefit to them, because it broadened their horizons and outlook towards folks that are different from them. I know we were probably in the minority (pun intended).

• Plus1 1