The Georgia runoff for the control of the Senate

12 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

When my kids were growing up, we taught them that the cultural diversity in our town was a benefit to them, because it broadened their horizons and outlook towards folks that are different from them. I know we were probably in the minority (pun intended).

The bold is true, but also they bring some really good food, too. The actual factual Mexicans who own restaurants in Lincoln have greatly benefitted the food scene. Same with Asians of all persuasions. 

I know that's a pretty selfish way to look at things, but it's practical, too.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Omaha-Husker said:

Some of you obviously have better experiences having lived it, but I did find this report an interesting look at this rural immigration issue specifically focused on Lexington and Madison NE.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/immigration/reports/2018/11/14/460894/proactive-and-patient/

Among the many issues it touches on the new immigrants are touched upon. It talks about how many of the first wave immigrants obviously had differences, but having a shared religion was a helpful path to acceptance. The newer immigrants not sharing the Christian faith is creating a new hurdle for people.

My wife’s sister-in-law has lived in small-town (less than 2,000 people) Nebraska her entire life. She basically hinks that all Muslims are terrorists and are the same as those who led the 9/11 attacks. 

3 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Not going to say that your argument regarding open mindedness is always off base.

However, I will point out that your reference to Mexican immigrants is a little antiquated. Immigrants from Mexico have been in Central Nebraska longer than my family from Eastern Europe. There was a long period where they were the primary ethnic group. But now, most newcomers to the towns I listed are no longer from Mexico. Central Americans, Cubans, Sudanese and Somali refugees are much more prevalent today. 

I'm mostly thinking about Schuyler as I know people from there. Maybe I should have said Hispanic. But they may be 2nd generation by now too. This is coming from old people so the "back in my day" may be 30 years ago.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

The bold is true, but also they bring some really good food, too. The actual factual Mexicans who own restaurants in Lincoln have greatly benefitted the food scene. Same with Asians of all persuasions. 

I know that's a pretty selfish way to look at things, but it's practical, too.  

Absolutely! On any given day I can get authentic birria tacos or a pastor torta from folks of Mexican heritage, or papusas from El Salvadorans, or pho at an actual noodle place run by Vietnamese immigrants, or larb and sticky rice at the Laotian market place, or a Cuban pork sandwich from the Cuban coffee place.  

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree with you on this.  It’s more of a fear of something different or fear of something one isn’t used to.  

Which becomes a problem with large segments of homogenous rural folks who make decisions for urban centers based on “bad” people living there.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, deedsker said:

Which becomes a problem with large segments of homogenous rural folks who make decisions for urban centers based on “bad” people living there.

I don’t know that they think people in cities are bad.  Different for sure.  I grew up in small town western KS and they thought anyone from a city was a bit odd.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, deedsker said:

True! But the funny thing is, those "homogeneous rural folks" weren't so homogeneous 100 years ago. My grandparents told me about learning English when they moved to Nebraska. My grandparents-in-law told me how their parents came to rural Hall County from back East, barely off the boat from Europe, and they took English classes at night (mandated?) after working the farm all day.

And they didn't speak the same language as their neighbors. Some spoke Swedish. Some spoke Czech. Some spoke German or Plattdeutsch or some eastern European tongue.

But they all brought tasty dishes from their country. And we're all better off for that.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1