What is the future of the Republican Party?

Since some of ya'll are quibbling over the differences between MTG and MAGA Johnson, and @Archy1221 seems to be quite knowledgable about GOP leadership, I have two questions:

1. What are the substantive differences between Johnson and MTG (or Jordan, or Gaetz, or Trump for that matter) in terms of leadership, values, and policy?

2. Archy, how do Johnson's and MTG's values differ from your own?

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1
11 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

The easy answer is no...I am not.

But, 146 others voted as he did. I haven't seen where he "actively" tried to overturn anything. Please share where he claimed covid was a hoax. And the other shares were, as previously stated, from the early 2000s.

My point is that Jordan was a terrible choice, and he was not elected. They've tried for 3 weeks to elect a Speaker, and no one else passed muster. I've never heard of this guy, and am willing to see what track he takes in 2024...not 20+ years ago.

You seem concerned that his views from 20 years ago are being exposed, and you would rather focus on his views today. Do you think his views on the LGBTQ community have changed over the past 20 years? How has he evolved or progressed?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Ulty said:

You seem concerned that his views from 20 years ago are being exposed, and you would rather focus on his views today. Do you think his views on the LGBTQ community have changed over the past 20 years? How has he evolved or progressed?

You are correct. The denouncements are using clips from 20 years ago, and I would like to know his views on those topics today. I don't have the answers, because as stated, I have never heard of the guy before yesterday. People change their views or stances quite often, or a least soften hard stances as they get more timely information. Don't you?

I am curious if you apply the same lens to your party members' views from 20 years ago? There are LOTS of clips that could be accessed in the same manner...

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
29 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Since some of ya'll are quibbling over the differences between MTG and MAGA Johnson, and @Archy1221 seems to be quite knowledgable about GOP leadership, I have two questions:

1. What are the substantive differences between Johnson and MTG (or Jordan, or Gaetz, or Trump for that matter) in terms of leadership, values, and policy?

2. Archy, how do Johnson's and MTG's values differ from your own?

1) I don’t know much about Johnson at all.  This is probably similar to everyone else on the board. As I learn more I would be in a better position to answer this question and if I don’t come back to it in a few weeks, please remind me so I don’t avoid getting you an answer 
2). I don’t know much about Johnson at all so how could know his values compared to mine.   In terms of MTG, I don’t know that we share very many similar values.   I’ve already made it known I hope she gets voted out by either a primary process or by a Democrat.  Take that for what it’s worth 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

21 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

People change their views or stances quite often, or a least soften hard stances as they get more timely information. Don't you?

Oh absolutely. I have changed a lot in the past 20 years, as I imagine most of us have. 

23 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I am curious if you apply the same lens to your party members' views from 20 years ago?

Yep. I find it maddening when any politician, D or R, is found to have done and said terrible things in the past, and when their "views" change (either from an actual epiphany of sorts, or just because it is politically convenient) I would prefer that they acknowledge their past mistakes and actually do things that will help create progress, especially in the arena of civil rights. Gay marriage and other LGBTQ issues are areas where many Dem politicians have had "evolving views" over the years (Hillary being a prime example). Their explanations are rarely convincing (I would prefer to replace them with new blood), but at least the blow in the right direction as society slowly evolves.

Republicans? Not so much (feel free to provide evidence to the contrary). This Johnson guy still appears to be a hardcore evangelical Trumper with extremist views. Yet you give him the benefit of the doubt on his views on LGBTQ rights? Why?

You admit that you know nothing about him (as is the case with most of us before yesterday). However, we've seen enough just from yesterday's to gain some insight into this guy's values. What are you seeing that affords him the benefit of the doubt in terms of being a leader in the 21st Century and promoting a healthy republic?

• TBH 2
11 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Oh absolutely. I have changed a lot in the past 20 years, as I imagine most of us have. 

Yep. I find it maddening when any politician, D or R, is found to have done and said terrible things in the past, and when their "views" change (either from an actual epiphany of sorts, or just because it is politically convenient) I would prefer that they acknowledge their past mistakes and actually do things that will help create progress, especially in the arena of civil rights. Gay marriage and other LGBTQ issues are areas where many Dem politicians have had "evolving views" over the years (Hillary being a prime example). Their explanations are rarely convincing (I would prefer to replace them with new blood), but at least the blow in the right direction as society slowly evolves.

Republicans? Not so much (feel free to provide evidence to the contrary). This Johnson guy still appears to be a hardcore evangelical Trumper with extremist views. Yet you give him the benefit of the doubt on his views on LGBTQ rights? Why?

You admit that you know nothing about him (as is the case with most of us before yesterday). However, we've seen enough just from yesterday's to gain some insight into this guy's values. What are you seeing that affords him the benefit of the doubt in terms of being a leader in the 21st Century and promoting a healthy republic?

C'mon man, I never said I agree with anything he said or did...I simply said I would wait to draw conclusions because I have no idea who this guy is, and pointed out that many politicians (and Huskerboard members) change their minds over the period of 20 years on a myriad of subjects. 

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2

Really? Some of y’all don’t understand exactly who Mike Johnson is yet. He’s a MAGA republican from Louisiana who opposes gay marriage (and gays generally), abortion rights, race mixing and who wanted the 2020 election results overturned just like Trump. How much more do you need to see or know?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/25/us/politics/mike-johnson-house-speaker.html

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 4

If I didn't know who Mike Johnson is, the first thing I would do is to find reasons why people accusing him of being bad may be incorrect.

The last thing I would do is go figure out who Mike Johnson is, what he stands for, what he's said, and base my reactions off of that. Because that would be silly.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Really? Some of y’all don’t understand exactly who Mike Johnson is yet. He’s a MAGA republican from Louisiana who opposes gay marriage (and gays generally), abortion rights, race mixing and who wanted the 2020 election results overturned just like Trump. How much more do you need to see or know?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/25/us/politics/mike-johnson-house-speaker.html

It has been shown that in the past, these were his views.  Now, if people want us to believe that his views on these issues have changed, maybe it would be nice if they could show how he has proven that his views have changed like campaign speeches, voting record, speeches on the floor of congress....etc.

Or....are these views on these issues what earned him the support that got him the position?

• TBH 1