What is the future of the Republican Party?

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

I agree with this as well.

Sadly so many of us, myself included, are at best, stupid with money.  

Looking back on it now I wish me and my group of friends had bought a house together out of college instead of renting apts.  Paid off some/most/all of it and then either flipped it or rented it out and then repeated the process.  A lot of us rented for a good 5-10 years after college and in that time the 4-6 of us could have easily formed a LLC and had a few properties that we could have held on to and rented and had that extra income.

Instead most of my cash went to bars.

Also looking back on it,  as late as 30 years ago you could afford a house on a minimum wage job.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Also looking back on it,  as late as 30 years ago you could afford a house on a minimum wage job.

30 years ago (1993) minimum wage was $4.25 per hour.  Average house cost was $75,300.  Link

Someone making $4.25 per hour is making, before tax, $8,840.  (4.25 x 2080).

I really doubt if there were very many people who could buy a home making $8,840 per year, before taxes.  That $8,840 in 1993 would be $18,398 today.  Or, $8.85 per hour.  Right now, minimum wage is $9.95.

• Thanks 3
  • TBH 1
16 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Like 45 years ago my parents bought their house, I think it was 75K and back then you still put down 20% and I think their rate was like 11%?

Unreal

1 minute ago, commando said:

houses are being built so much bigger than they used to be.   in the 50's new homes on average were under 1,000 sq. feet.   now new homes are well over 2,500 sq. feet.   

No kidding...shoot out in Ashland can you even find a new build under 2,500 sq ft?

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

30 years ago (1993) minimum wage was $4.25 per hour.  Average house cost was $75,300.  Link

Someone making $4.25 per hour is making, before tax, $8,840.  (4.25 x 2080).

I really doubt if there were very many people who could buy a home making $8,840 per year, before taxes.  That $8,840 in 1993 would be $18,398 today.  Or, $8.85 per hour.  Right now, minimum wage is $9.95.

I generally avoid Reddit infographics, but this is how one source made the case. Point being, if your single bread winner was the Burger King assistant manager rather than the new counter person, or if your two new Burger King counter persons were a couple, they could afford a house and some middle-class dignity. Go back another 40/50/60 years and the American Dream stuff actually adds up. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I generally avoid Reddit infographics, but this is how one source made the case. Point being, if your single bread winner was the Burger King assistant manager rather than the new counter person, or if your two new Burger King counter persons were a couple, they could afford a house and some middle-class dignity. Go back another 40/50/60 years and the American Dream stuff actually adds up. 

There is no way a couple in 1993 making roughly $17,000 a year is affording a $77,000 house.  Interestingly, that's the first year we bought a house....and, it was $79,000.  We were making around $50,000 as a couple and it was pretty tight even then.

Now, I agree, it's less affordable now.  But, you have to take a lot into consideration with that.  Like someone else has pointed out, a lot of homes back then were 1,000 sq feet.  Our first home was 900 sq feet.  I work with a group that is trying to build starter homes locally.  We are trying to stay in the $200,000 range.  $77,000 back then is now $160,000.  We are building roughly 1,500 sq foot homes and it comes out to be about $140 per square foot.  It can be done.  That's the absolute smallest that we think people would be willing to buy.  But, you have to cut a lot of frills people want in their homes nowadays.  They are selling before we can even get them built.  Your example comes out to be $223 per sq foot.  You can build lower than that.

So, yes, things aren't quite as affordable.  But, it's also easier if people make certain decisions.

And...yes I know, our cost of building them is probably cheaper than what this would be in Lincoln or Omaha.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

All data is void. That’s Topeka Kansas for chrissakes. :lol:

But seriously, they are using every penny a person gets paid to calculate those timelines. You’re going to starve to death before you get those houses paid off.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

All data is void. That’s Topeka Kansas for chrissakes. :lol:

But seriously, they are using every penny a person gets paid to calculate those timelines. You’re going to starve to death before you get those houses paid off.

I told you they were working at Burger King!

Employee theft covers their meals.

And Topeka Kansas is hopping.

• Oh Yeah! 1
Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

I told you they were working at Burger King!

Employee theft covers their meals.

And Topeka Kansas is hopping.

I spent a few months working in Topeka in the late 80s. It definitely was NOT hopping at that time. There was a great little diner though with excellent pie and home cookin’.

• Oh Yeah! 1

3 minutes ago, commando said:

who are the real groomers?

This is a dumb law to be against.   Seems reasonable to have an 18 yr old restriction.   If we are going to have outrage here, we should also look to these other liberal and conservative states that don’t have an age restriction. 

https://news.yahoo.com/wyoming-republicans-criticizing-child-marriage-070751920.html

Wyoming is one of eight US states that does not have a hard-line minimum age requirement. Other states include California, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma, West Virginia, and Washington.

• Plus1 1