What is the future of the Republican Party?

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The truth is that Trump voters are responsible for this. They collectively are a brainwashed horde that don't live in reality. 

"He never echoed fascist lines but criticize the Leader and you will be exterminated"

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
31 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

"He never echoed fascist lines but criticize the Leader and you will be exterminated"

America gets what it deserves. If morons - with brains completely fried from right-wing news - go to the voting booth and choose that option, then so be it. They were warned throughout 2015, had evidence in front of their eyes in 2020, and now have a mountain of evidence of why they don't belong in a voting booth because they're a group of dangerous idiots.

If they can't collectively hold up a mirror and see what they're doing, then let them make moronic choices. It's what they deserve.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

18 hours ago, knapplc said:

I don't know this guy so this is not an endorsement of him or his beliefs. But this is what us former Republicans and most independents have been saying for 25 years. Since Newt Gingrich's BS Contract with America, when they lost me.

Very, very true.   The republican party has not been and certainly isn't now a governing party.  They are an opposition party at best - giving some 'counterweight' to any overreach the Dems may have on an issue.  The Dems know how to govern and get things done.  The Dems also know the needs of the vast majority of the citizens - the GOP only governs towards their specific voters.  This doesn't mean the Dems aren't without issues - I could name many but when it comes to governing - they have had plenty of practice.

@knapplc you mentioned Newt and the Contract - even with all of that fanfare they accomplished very little of it.  The GOP had not led the House of Representatives for I think 38 years when Newt's contract gave them the House.  They then became the opposition to Clinton and government shutdowns became the norm.    This current crop of GOP 'leaders' is a miserable group of misfits.  

• Plus1 1

Trump and the GOP - intimidation is their path. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4311944-trump-violent-talk-taking-over-congress/

Trump-allied conservatives are using more pugnacious rhetoric than ever, and in some cases, such as an incident Tuesday featuring Sen. Markwayne Mullin (R-Okla.), are ready to make things physical, a trend that is setting off alarm bells on Capitol Hill.  

Republican and Democratic senators say former President Trump’s bombastic threats and insults, which have proved to be a winning political formula for the GOP, are catching on more broadly in Congress.

Senators in both parties say they were shocked when Mullin, a first-term senator and Trump ally, challenged the president of the Teamsters to a fistfight in the middle of a Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee hearing, forcing the 82-year-old chair, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), to step in to keep blood from being spilled on his carpet.  

Mullin told the Teamsters leader to “stand your butt up” and sprung out of his chair while taking off a wedding ring to prepare for melee.  

The Oklahoma senator, a former mixed martial arts fighter, told CNN on Wednesday he had “full intentions” of pummeling the labor boss right there in the hearing room.  

“First thing I thought of when I stood up I thought, ‘I’m going to break my hand on this guy’s face’ and will take my wedding ring off,” he said.  

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah), who voted twice to convict Trump of impeachment charges and will retire at the end of next year, said that unfortunately, in his view, the Republican Party has become the party of Trump.  

He said Mullin’s attempt to challenge a witness to a brawl in the middle of a hearing was “clearly unfortunate.”  

“I can understand losing one’s temper,” he said. “But it’s more important to rein it in.” 

Romney said “there’s no question” there’s been a coarsening of political discourse in America. 

“I don’t think that President Trump created something in the population that wasn’t there, but he brought something out that had been held behind norms and comity that is now out in the open,” he said. “Have we coarsened our debates and our dialogue? No question.” 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

@DevoHusker might want to skip this one due to the sensitive nature of the use of the N-word.  

I do wonder why a GOP fund raiser would be meeting with Nazis and why the Texas GOP would have any problem with this bill that was introduced by one of there own members.  

Nope. You are correct in calling this out. It is terrible that they voted against it, it would appear.

Totally different than our earlier discussion regarding blanket usage of the term, when nothing is known about the people other than opposite political views.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1