What is the future of the Republican Party?

3 hours ago, commando said:

to be fair to her...she was tasked with selling a turd sandwich to america.   

Yes and no. America seems more than willing to devour a turd sandwich.

The issue with the Republican Party is they traded their traditional business friendly donors base for a constituency that is lower income, uneducated, and has their brains collectively turned into mush by Fox News. They've created a monster that fundamentally believes that government is a deep state operation geared towards crushing their beliefs. 

It's hard to get donations to political causes when you've created a base that believes political causes are the root of all problems. Hence, they have highly motivated voters for elections but can't use them to raise money.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Yes and no. America seems more than willing to devour a turd sandwich.

The issue with the Republican Party is they traded their traditional business friendly donors base for a constituency that is lower income, uneducated, and has their brains collectively turned into mush by Fox News. They've created a monster that fundamentally believes that government is a deep state operation geared towards crushing their beliefs. 

It's hard to get donations to political causes when you've created a base that believes political causes are the root of all problems. Hence, they have highly motivated voters for elections but can't use them to raise money.

Not so sure about the bold. I know plenty of educated (and relatively smart) people who are upper middle class to even possibly 1 percenters that have had their brains turned to mush by Fox News.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

King Midas-  Everything he touches turns to gold.

King Turdis (trump)  Everything he touches turns to crap!

You think this. I think this. HuskerBoard thinks this. But perhaps no other political figure in American history has commanded a following so loyal and worshipful. Everything he touches is apparently by God's hand. 

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Stephen Miller needs to be put on a plane to somewhere 

And that plane needs to have a history of mechanical problems and just enough fuel to get to around 30,000 feet…

I really hate rooting for folks to die, but these are some sick f#&%s!

• TBH 2
8 minutes ago, funhusker said:

And that plane needs to have a history of mechanical problems and just enough fuel to get to around 30,000 feet…

I really hate rooting for folks to die, but these are some sick f#&%s!

I generally stay away from, and detest the overuse of, Nazi comparisons...but that guy definitely would have been wearing an SS uniform 75 years ago

1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

First they came for the migrants...

Economically this makes zero sense. The massive amount of money spent, plus the loss in labor/productivity would be disastrous. Nevermind the fact that it would take years to train personnel and build facilities.

16 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I generally stay away from, and detest the overuse of, Nazi comparisons...but that guy definitely would have been wearing an SS uniform 75 years ago

I wasn’t necessarily comparing to Nazis, but I agree.  He, and others in Trumps orbit, really seem to get their rocks off on these ideas.  Instead of hating the idea but feeling it’s necessary, they seem to look forward to it.

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Economically this makes zero sense. The massive amount of money spent, plus the loss in labor/productivity would be disastrous. Nevermind the fact that it would take years to train personnel and build facilities.

Agree. Preventing illegal immigration and spending more money there might make sense, but spending a bunch on deportation will lose us $, not gain it.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, funhusker said:

I wasn’t necessarily comparing to Nazis, but I agree.  He, and others in Trumps orbit, really seem to get their rocks off on these ideas.  Instead of hating the idea but feeling it’s necessary, they seem to look forward to it.

Oh I knew you weren't...

But for once I thought it appropriate when considering Miller's position on this

• Plus1 1