Covid-19 Vaccinations.

Ugh. Close to home here.

OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) - One of the six cases being examined in relation to the blood clot reports that halted the distribution of Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccinations Tuesday is a Nebraska woman, according to a CDC report.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration said Tuesday they were investigating unusual clots that occurred 6 to 13 days after vaccination. The clots occurred in veins that drain blood from the brain and occurred together with low platelets. All six cases were in women between the ages of 18 and 48; there was one death and all remained under investigation.

According to a CDC report from April 2, the Nebraskan among the six is a 48-year-old woman who was vaccinated with Johnson & Johnson Lot No. 1805020 on March 9 and is now “currently hospitalized with profound bleeding and clotting, suspect dysfibrinogenemia, otherwise healthy without history of dysfibrinogenmeia.”

Dysfibrinogenemia is described by the National Institutes of Health as a clotting disorder caused by an abnormal form of a liver protein, called fibrinogen, that helps control bleeding.

The CDC report, via the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System known as VAERS, lists the woman’s condition as “serious” and “life-threatening.”

Don't pause the study, just make all 18-50 year old women have the J&J administered at the research level again and closely monitor reactions. Everyone else can continue as normal unless the problem shows it isn't contained to this demographic, at which point you pause the vaccine. Nobody is going to figure anything out in the next 3 days about a likely fringe case of unexpected reactions close to the placebo rate.

34 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Don't pause the study, just make all 18-50 year old women have the J&J administered at the research level again and closely monitor reactions. Everyone else can continue as normal unless the problem shows it isn't contained to this demographic, at which point you pause the vaccine. Nobody is going to figure anything out in the next 3 days about a likely fringe case of unexpected reactions close to the placebo rate.

Why put 18-50 year old women into research only category?  For a side effect of 1 in over 1 million and 1 death that may or may not be related to drug.  Many approved drugs have worse numbers than that including some of the best selling drugs of all time.  

Getting Covid-19 presents worse survival odds by far than taking JJ vaccine in that age group.  

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Why put 18-50 year old women into research only category?  For a side effect of 1 in over 1 million and 1 death that may or may not be related to drug.  Many approved drugs have worse numbers than that including some of the best selling drugs of all time.  

Getting Covid-19 presents worse survival odds by far than taking JJ vaccine in that age group.  

I agree.  However, I have the feeling they are trying to combat the stigma of the vaccine more than the actual science behind the negative reactions.  For some stupid reason in the US, there is a large number of people who are scared to get the vaccine.  So, statistically, the problems are extremely small.  But, the negative feelings towards it are a bigger problem.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  However, I have the feeling they are trying to combat the stigma of the vaccine more than the actual science behind the negative reactions.  For some stupid reason in the US, there is a large number of people who are scared to get the vaccine.  So, statistically, the problems are extremely small.  But, the negative feelings towards it are a bigger problem.

Not sure how this will do anything but the opposite of combatting that stigma.  

• Plus1 1

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Why?

I was worried of side effects, I was worried that it might not work, worried that it might really hurt me.

It was not like a rational fear/worry, it was just like this odd feeling I had.  It is hard to explain.  

I am not scared of needles or anything like that, it just just this weird feeling.  

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I was worried of side effects, I was worried that it might not work, worried that it might really hurt me.

It was not like a rational fear/worry, it was just like this odd feeling I had.  It is hard to explain.  

I am not scared of needles or anything like that, it just just this weird feeling.  

But you're fine with other vaccinations?  If so, why are you more worried about this one?

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

But you're fine with other vaccinations?  If so, why are you more worried about this one?

When I first started getting the flu shot, I was also worried, worried that I would get some bad side effect.  But I Have been getting that for years now so I no longer worry.

I think just because this was my first time getting this shot.  

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

When I first started getting the flu shot, I was also worried, worried that I would get some bad side effect.  But I Have been getting that for years now so I no longer worry.

I think just because this was my first time getting this shot.  

Perhaps a bit of the Streisand Effect as well. Maybe people wouldn't be any more worried about a Covid shot than they are with the flu shot if we haven't heard 1,000 times that people might be worried about the Covid shot. 

It was always a concern that some people wouldn't take the shot. Talking about that ad nauseum has made more people think maybe they shouldn't get the shot. It's bad messaging.