The Angry Violent Left

I very confidently believe violence is never the best or even a good answer. All it ever does is perpetuate itself - it's an infection. There's nothing redemptive about violence.

In certain contexts I suppose I could be convinced that it's necessary, but there's no accident that some of the most influential people on the history of humanity, specifically in regard to how we live as humans with one another, have been non-violent. 

25 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What if the money changers set up their booths in your father's house?

I'd say that is certainly aggressive, and was threatening to the corrupt priestly system and power structures which eventually would execute such a person, but I don't see anything inherently violent in that story.

Just now, Landlord said:

I'd say that is certainly aggressive, and was threatening to the corrupt priestly system and power structures which eventually would execute such a person, but I don't see anything inherently violent in that story.

BRB - gonna go make a whip and use it to drive people from a room while overturning tables.  Probably won't get in trouble with the cops over that.  :D

• Haha 1

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

Well if it's your Father's house, probably won't get into too much trouble

I think using a whip to drive people from a residence, even if it's private property, would still be considered assault (if the whip lands) and possibly terroristic threats.

37 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I think using a whip to drive people from a residence, even if it's private property, would still be considered assault (if the whip lands) and possibly terroristic threats.

I think you're being pedantic, but I'm not sure if it's all in good fun or if you're actually levying criticism towards my perspective. 

If you are, I'll say a few things. First, a lot of translations/interpretations of that passage suggest that he made a whip to drive out the animals (via sound, It's presumed) as a sort of herder, leaving the traders to follow (“Making a whip of cords, he drove all of them out of the temple, both the sheep and the cattle” NRSV).

Second, the type of scenario where your zealousness for righteousness forces you to protest or to 'forcibly' (there is a distinction between force and violence) remove someone from a place isn't really what I was getting at. I don't consider that in the category of violence. If you do, cool, we can quibble over semantics if we want to waste our time, but when I say violence I mean things like empire, vengeance, military might, war, inhumane oppression, vengeance, and retribution. Not things like symbolic protests against the exploitation of and/or at the hands of institutions and people. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I think you're being pedantic, but I'm not sure if it's all in good fun or if you're actually levying criticism towards my perspective.  

If you are, I'll say a few things. First, a lot of translations/interpretations of that passage suggest that he made a whip to drive out the animals (via sound, It's presumed) as a sort of herder, leaving the traders to follow (“Making a whip of cords, he drove all of them out of the temple, both the sheep and the cattle” NRSV). 

Second, the type of scenario where your zealousness for righteousness forces you to protest or to 'forcibly' (there is a distinction between force and violence) remove someone from a place isn't really what I was getting at. I don't consider that in the category of violence. If you do, cool, we can quibble over semantics if we want to waste our time, but when I say violence I mean things like empire, vengeance, military might, war, inhumane oppression, vengeance, and retribution. Not things like symbolic protests against the exploitation of and/or at the hands of institutions and people. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I'm just having fun. I don't truly believe Jesus violently and dangerously attacked people. 

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

BRB - gonna go make a whip and use it to drive people from a room while overturning tables.  Probably won't get in trouble with the cops over that.  :D

Hopefully a Republican politician was not having dinner at one of those overturned tables. We'll have to start a thread about violent, angry liberal prophets.

• Plus1 1
On 10/25/2018 at 11:00 AM, Ric Flair said:

Sadly that’s probably the same thinking as whoever just mailed those fake bombs to people. 

i just saw someone from the FBI say on tv that these 13 bombs were not hoaxes.    makes me wonder where you get your fake news from.

• Plus1 3

I fully condemn all political violence and the recent mail bomber certainly was targeting Prominent Dems calling for incivility and attacks on Republicans as Waters, Holder, Booker and Hillary have done in just recent months.  With that said the mail bomber should not have let their calls for incivility, violence and intimidation lead him to taking physical action against them. We have seen these physical acts pick up the past couple years with most targeting Republicans. Here is a list of some of those attacks, and the links go to a variety of sources.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/2018/07/05/rap-sheet-acts-of-media-approved-violence-and-harassment-against-trump-supporters/amp/