Media Bias

On 4/5/2022 at 12:08 PM, knapplc said:

I think maybe that's why most of the major news outlets were hesitant to run this story. 

The provenance of the data is exceedingly questionable. Here's a good article about the machinations that led up to the announcement of the data's existence, and raises some really good questions about the motives of those involved.

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/2022-04-02/forgotten-ignored-context-emergence-hunter-biden-laptop-story-5560890.html

The FBI had the laptop by at least October, 2020. The bloated cheeto was in office four more months, and could have directed them to disclose what they found on the device. Today, we still don't know of anything incriminating to President Biden, and really of anything that points to a crime by Hunter.

But here we are, three years after the conveniently blind computer repair guy was given three computers, with zero credible evidence of a crime. 

The provenance of the laptop seems like a much bigger story than the laptop itself. But that would require critical thinking and some questions that some people wouldn't want to answer, so it's easier just to have a Pavlovian reaction to "laptop." 

Much like, "but her emails." Which, oddly, also turned out to be a big nothingburger. Weird how that works.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/psaki-refuses-explain-why-biden-201424945.html

During a White House briefing Wednesday, Press Secretary Jen Psaki refused to explain why President Biden reportedly wrote a college recommendation letter for the son of a Chinese business associate of his son Hunter.

“I’ve seen the report. I have no confirmation or comment on a report about whether or not the president, when he was a private citizen, wrote a college recommendation letter for an individual,” Psaki replied.

“Do we know what the president might have gotten in return for doing a favor like that?” Doocy asked.“Again, I have no confirmation of any recommendation the president wrote, when he was a private citizen, by the way,” Psaki said.

The emails Fox published on Wednesday begin with a January 3, 2017, message from Li to Hunter Biden and Hunter’s associates Devon Archer and Jim Bulger.

“Gentlmen [sic], please find the attached resume of my son, Chris Li. He is applying the following colleges for this year,” Li wrote in the email, naming Cornell, Brown, and New York University.

Bulger responded by writing “Lets [sic] see how we can be helpful here to Chris,” copying in Hunter Biden and Archer.

Li then received an email on February 18, 2017, from Eric Schwerin, then the president of the Rosemont Seneca firm, which Hunter Biden cofounded in 2009. Hunter and Archer were copied in on the email.

“Jonathan, Hunter asked me to send you a copy of the recommendation letter that he asked his father to write on behalf of Christopher for Brown University. The original is being FedExed to Dr. Paxson directly at Brown,” Schwerin wrote, referring to Brown University president Dr. Christina Paxson. “It should be there by Tuesday at the latest (given Monday is a holiday here in the U.S.). Let us know if you have any questions. Best, Eric.”

Li replies on February 19, “Hi Eric. Just see the email [sic]. It is great! Thank you very much! And Hunter, thank you very much too. All the best to you all.”

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/psaki-refuses-explain-why-biden-201424945.html

During a White House briefing Wednesday, Press Secretary Jen Psaki refused to explain why President Biden reportedly wrote a college recommendation letter for the son of a Chinese business associate of his son Hunter.

“I’ve seen the report. I have no confirmation or comment on a report about whether or not the president, when he was a private citizen, wrote a college recommendation letter for an individual,” Psaki replied.

“Do we know what the president might have gotten in return for doing a favor like that?” Doocy asked.“Again, I have no confirmation of any recommendation the president wrote, when he was a private citizen, by the way,” Psaki said.

The emails Fox published on Wednesday begin with a January 3, 2017, message from Li to Hunter Biden and Hunter’s associates Devon Archer and Jim Bulger.

“Gentlmen [sic], please find the attached resume of my son, Chris Li. He is applying the following colleges for this year,” Li wrote in the email, naming Cornell, Brown, and New York University.

Bulger responded by writing “Lets [sic] see how we can be helpful here to Chris,” copying in Hunter Biden and Archer.

Li then received an email on February 18, 2017, from Eric Schwerin, then the president of the Rosemont Seneca firm, which Hunter Biden cofounded in 2009. Hunter and Archer were copied in on the email.

“Jonathan, Hunter asked me to send you a copy of the recommendation letter that he asked his father to write on behalf of Christopher for Brown University. The original is being FedExed to Dr. Paxson directly at Brown,” Schwerin wrote, referring to Brown University president Dr. Christina Paxson. “It should be there by Tuesday at the latest (given Monday is a holiday here in the U.S.). Let us know if you have any questions. Best, Eric.”

Li replies on February 19, “Hi Eric. Just see the email [sic]. It is great! Thank you very much! And Hunter, thank you very much too. All the best to you all.”

Seriously?  We are making a big deal now about a college recommendation?  

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Seriously?  We are making a big deal now about a college recommendation?  

Am I posting about Joe writing a college recommendation letter for a Chinese businessman who happened to be partners with Hunter Biden when Joe said he didn’t know Hunters Business dealings?   Seriously yes.   Is it criminal?  Absolutely not.  But it goes against Joes position of not knowing about Hunters business partners. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, knapplc said:

Do you know what those email say? What was incriminating about them?

Because the Republicans already investigated the rumor of President Biden being influenced, and found nothing. 

So what's the story? 

Incriminating to Hunter…not Joe. Stay tuned. We will all find out what Hunter did and he will get a slap on the wrist because he is the son of powerful politician. 

Your arguments and questions tend to divert from the point of the posts. …Which is that media bias caused some media outlets and social media to bury this in 2020. It also caused the NYPost to time the release of the article during an election for an October surprise.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
10 hours ago, funhusker said:

More Republicans trust Breitbart more than PBS.  Responsible adults should agree that that is a bad look for republicans. 

Is Breitbart an online publication? Anyway, you said half of the population above. How many people actually read or watch Breitbart or Newmax? I suspect very little.  Maybe a greater % of likely voters. I know one couple who said they now watched newsmax and I live in a pretty conservative area. Maybe it’s more than I realize. 

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, nic said:

Is Breitbart an online publication? Anyway, you said half of the population above. How many people actually read or watch Breitbart or Newmax? I suspect very little.  Maybe a greater % of likely voters. I know one couple who said they now watched newsmax and I live in a pretty conservative area. Maybe it’s more than I realize. 

I’m not sure what you’re asking here.

According to the graph, 25% of Republicans trust Breietbart and only 20% trust PBS.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, nic said:

Fox and Breitbart are often blatantly dishonest, but Newsmax, OAN, and Infowars are categorically insane. There is no equivalent on the left. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

I’m not sure what you’re asking here.

According to the graph, 25% of Republicans trust Breietbart and only 20% trust PBS.

I can see why. I was confusing. I am trying to say that in my small sampling of republicans, I bet all of them know PBS and none of them know what Breitbart is. I am actually curious, so I may ask a few of them. It’s not a scientific poll though. maybe 25% of Republicans know and read Breitbart and therefore trust it. And 80% have been told PBS is bad news.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Am I posting about Joe writing a college recommendation letter for a Chinese businessman who happened to be partners with Hunter Biden when Joe said he didn’t know Hunters Business dealings?   Seriously yes.   Is it criminal?  Absolutely not.  But it goes against Joes position of not knowing about Hunters business partners. 

Omg!!!

A college recommendation. 

oh the horror. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, nic said:

Incriminating to Hunter…not Joe. Stay tuned. We will all find out what Hunter did and he will get a slap on the wrist because he is the son of powerful politician. 

Your arguments and questions tend to divert from the point of the posts. …Which is that media bias caused some media outlets and social media to bury this in 2020. It also caused the NYPost to time the release of the article during an election for an October surprise.

I think the forest is being obscured by the trees.

October Surprise. It was a big deal in past elections. It was pivotal in 2016... but that was a boondoggle. The press isn't stupid, as much as it is maligned.

The bloated orange cheeto god was literally impeached for trying to drum up fake news on Joe Biden. While that may have been overlooked by those predisposed to vote right, it wasn't overlooked by the press.

And then Rudy was busted VERY OVERTLY trying to drum up dirt on Joe Biden.

You remember that, right? I think a lot of righty folks just tend to overlook that.

And overlook the bloated cheeto's attempted shakedown of President Zelenskyy.

It's easy to overlook what fits an agenda.

Which skews us back to the media. And bias. And agendas.

The point of this thread. Remember? Sure. You remember.

The point of the posts is that some media didn't cover the Hunter Laptop story in the way the righties wanted it covered. Which was the way Putin's orange buddy wanted it covered.

Why didn't the media do that?

Bias? Of course - from the point of view of someone sympathetic to the bloated orange cheeto.

But, from those of us who prefer fact over bias, it was the kind of caution we expect from the media.

And here we are. Three years after the blind computer repair guy who just so happens to be an ardent cheeto supporter just so happened to have the very giftiest gift of October Surprise gifts just so happen to fall bass ackwards into his lap and then just so happened to offer it to Rudy "Four Seasons" Giuliani just before the election...

And yet. AND YET. Three years later. Here we are. With zero indictments. Zero smoking guns. Zero criminal activity by Biden the Greater or Biden the Lesser.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bias.

Yeah.

There's bias here. But it isn't from "the media."

What was the criming exposed in the emails from that laptop again?

You never did specify.

Weird.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The point of the posts is that some media didn't cover the Hunter Laptop story in the way the righties wanted it covered. Which was the way Putin's orange buddy wanted it covered.

Why didn't the media do that?

Bias? Of course - from the point of view of someone sympathetic to the bloated orange cheeto.

But, from those of us who prefer fact over bias, it was the kind of caution we expect from the media.

The kind of caution that doesn’t really try to verify a story, but just take some old retired Anti-Trump IC voices and blame it on Russian disinformation?   Even when there isn’t any truth to the Russian disinformation angle.  Nahhhh. Media orgs wouldn’t have done that now would they?   Well who are we kidding.   That’s exactly what they did.   Instead of saying they couldn’t verify details, they went the next step further and blamed it on Russian disinformation .  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1