Insurrection fallout

19 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is such a key point in all of this.  He knew they had breached the capital and he was still inciting them to do more and he was telling them exactly who they should go after.

I respect the hell out of the judge that testified yesterday....but dang....he was hard to listen to.  I wonder if he talks like that normally, or was he so nervous that it came off that way.

Seriously, if we live in a country where Martha Stewart had to go to jail, Donald Trump should go to jail.

He had a strong felony tax evasion case against him before he even took the Presidency. The Southern District Court of New York had its own case just waiting until Trump left office unprotected.

But we're all wondering when the DOJ steps in, and many of us are doubting anything will happen based on the string of empty gestures including the Mueller Report and the two Impeachment hearings.

Wild guess: the people in power are walking this through, get to the part where Trump is physically taken to jail, and start envisioning a full on civil war with hundreds of thousands of lovely well-armed Trump supporters agitating nonstop for his freedom. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

But we're all wondering when the DOJ steps in, and many of us are doubting anything will happen based on the string of empty gestures including the Mueller Report and the two Impeachment hearings.

Wild guess: the people in power are walking this through, get to the part where Trump is physically taken to jail, and start envisioning a full on civil war with hundreds of thousands of lovely well-armed Trump supporters agitating nonstop for his freedom. 

Agree on the empty gestures. Do you really think civil war? It's hard for me to believe in that many followers. Only hundreds were willing to breach the capital. It really feels to me like the people in power are only trying to keep him from being president again....however they can.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

This is a great question.

Very good question indeed. 

So maybe Pence isn't as courageous as one might think - maybe just the first rat to jump the ship:huh::dunno

A pretty powerful ending of the article here: 

The former vice president has given no indication that he wants to engage with the inquiry into a coup in which his life was threatened, despite the fact that committee chair Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) has said, “We’ve always had the effort to reach out and get the vice president’s participation.” Indeed, Pence will travel to Washington during the course of the hearings to appear at an gathering the House Republican Study Committee, which is chaired by Representative Jim Banks (R-Ind.), who after the first hearing dismissed the select committee’s work as “truly a political witch-hunt that was focused more on the Democrats’ obsession with Donald Trump than anything at all about Capitol security or investigating the events that led up to January 6.”

Banks is a lying Trump apologist.

So why is Pence keeping company with this particular congressman, rather than testifying before the committee? Why isn’t the former vice president testifying not just about his belief that Trump’s assessment of the vice president’s power to overturn an election was wrong but, more importantly, about the fact that what Trump did before and during the January 6 coup attempt was wrong?

The answer to that question is all too obvious.

Pence is a craven political careerist who is always looking out for what is best for Pence. He did the right thing on January 6, 2021, and for that he deserves credit. But his appropriate action on that day—when even House minority leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) was rebuking Trump—was less a matter of political heroism than political positioning. Remember that Pence was so desperately afraid of crossing Trump that he turned to former vice president Dan Quayle for advice on whether he might do Trump’s bidding.

According to the book Peril, by Washington Post reporters Bob Woodward and Robert Costa, Pence asked Quayle if there was anything he could do. “Mike, you have no flexibility on this. None. Zero. Forget it. Put it away,” said Quayle. But Pence kept pushing: “You don’t know the position I’m in,” Pence said. Quayle replied, “I do know the position you’re in. I also know what the law is. You listen to the parliamentarian. That’s all you do. You have no power.”

Ultimately, that’s what Pence did.  As Kurt Bardella, a former senior adviser for Republicans on the House Oversight Committee who has since become a Democrat, observed after reading the book, “Think about it. The vice president of the United States was calling around looking for someone who would give him permission to preside over the complete collapse of our democratic process.”

The fact is that Pence was, is, and will always be a political hack. He’s a perennial candidate, constantly on the watch for a way to pursue his ambition for higher office. He’s already campaigning for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination—visiting key early caucus and primary states, campaigning for fellow Republicans, and begging for money. It’s a failed mission. The dominant figure in the Republican Party, Donald Trump, actively despises Pence, as do Trump’s backers, who make up the defining faction in most state parties.

But Pence can’t help himself. The career politician who has rarely let an election cycle pass without positioning for another bid for another high office will keep trying to have it both ways. He wants to be seen by Trump critics as the patriot who stood up to the former president, and he wants to be seen by Trump allies as a loyal vice president who did almost everything the boss asked.

Testifying before the January 6 Committee would force Pence to take a side. He would, undoubtedly, be asked to accept the argument made by Cheney: “What President Trump demanded that Mike Pence do wasn’t just wrong, it was illegal and it was unconstitutional.”

Pence is not going to call Trump a crook. He is not going to describe Trump’s January 6 project as “an attempted coup.”

Doing so would doom Pence’s presidential prospects. Yes, those prospects are dismal. But Pence is not prepared to face the truth that his political career is over.

The former vice president will not testify because, when all is said and done, Mike Pence lacks the courage to sacrifice his own ambition for the cause of assuring that there is never another insurrection like the one that occurred on January 6, 2021. He doesn’t even have the guts to demand accountability for the thug who suggested that hanging Mike Pence might be “the right idea.”

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Meanwhile, the GOP is in denial and deflecting - It's the economy.   Maybe today's GOP isn't skilled enough to walk and chew gum at the same time.  

I think we as Americans can understand that there are economic issues that need to be discussed while also discussing the greatest threat to our 

democracy since THE CIVIL WAR!     This is their only defense.  Point to something not at all related to the sedition/conspiracy charges that should be brought

against Trump and his friends.   They have no defense thus they point our attention elsewhere.

Unfortunately, the economy may put these Neanderthals back in power in the house.  This will ignite a bunch of baseless, revenge filled counter investigations. 

I'm no democrat or fan of the liberal wing of the Dem party, but for the sake of our country, I hope the J6C and the AG prove without a shadow of doubt the corruptness of Team Trump and his enablers in Congress and send some of them to jail  - just in time for the elections. 

From Townhall.com

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/webcontent/jim-jordan-shreds-the-january-6-committee-hearings-with-one-tweet/wc-88B7DC3B234C02462F179ADCC6381B47?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=9230efa479d74289a91c534d71223ff0

I hate acting like the grim reaper. Every episode of the Triggered podcast always has bad economic news. We do give warnings to listeners though that we have no good news. None. Crappy days are here again, especially with Joe Biden and his super-diverse administration who also have the appalling quality of being incapable of solving any crisis. Spencer will have stories about rolling blackouts will a common occurrence throughout the summer as Biden’s energy policy seems centered on destroying its affordability for millions of American families. The Venezuelan model is being imported here on the issue of energy. 

Gas prices are now $5/gallon on average—and everyone and their mother knows this isn’t all Russia’s fault. The Putin price hike is so flimsy and weak and a light breeze blows it away. Prices were rising prior to the Ukraine War. Remember when Biden said that inflation would be transitory? Inflation and the price of goods were already an issue long before tanks rolled into Ukraine. No one believes it. No one trusts Biden to solve anything. He’s too old. He’s too dumb. He just doesn’t fill the office. 

Gas price spikes have caused a reduction in police patrols and overall presence at a time when violent crime is spiking. Don’t be shocked if diesel is rationed by August. I also wouldn’t be shocked if gas hits $7/gallon by that time as well. That’s one of the many worries on the minds of Americans. It’s not January 6.

That was perfectly captured in Rep. Jim Jordan’s (R-OH) tweet. This little riot has passed. People have moved on. It wasn’t a coup. It wasn’t an armed insurrection. It wasn’t a conspiracy. No indictments will be handed down against Donald Trump, which was the main goal of this select committee. Anyone who thought that the Democrats could make this into a 2022 midterm event has to be fired. They’re doing primetime hearings during the Stanley Cup and NBA Finals, the latter of which has concluded. Both those sports events will earn a larger audience than Liz Cheney could ever dream of for this circus on the Hill. 

“Real America” cares about energy prices, Jordan wrote. I couldn’t agree more. They also care about baby formula being off the shelves. And now women can’t find tampons. Meanwhile, Joe Biden will be absconding to Saudi Arabia on a trip that we all know will fail miserably. 

It shows the gross detachment the political class has from the rest of the country. These politicians were all shaken on January 6. Okay. No one cares. 

cfba5479-6b8a-4c1c-ae52-98b8966cf000.jpg
Recommended
  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nic said:

Agree on the empty gestures. Do you really think civil war? It's hard for me to believe in that many followers. Only hundreds were willing to breach the capital. It really feels to me like the people in power are only trying to keep him from being president again....however they can.

Uhm....the entire democratic electoral process is being undermined, and Trump has been enabled by both the Republican establishment and loyalists at every state and local level, now bragging that they can control elections, including the non-Trump variety.  While I don't think much will stick, I wouldn't call it an empty gesture. It would be madness to pretend Trump's attempt to prevent the peaceful transfer of power wasn't really a thing. It's also a solid case for anyone willing to listen. Or prosecute. 

The people in power ARE the Republicans, who could have presented their own case in the Jan 6 hearings but chose not to. Probably a smart move. 

Seriously, this is bigger than Donald Trump. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1