Economy

24 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

You should share the public held debt percentage of GDP. It still paints a not pretty picture, but doesn't try to go for shock value with a mostly meaningless number/chart.

If US voters were less stupid and less insane, and maybe if there were term limits, maybe this would be addressed someday. For example the Democrats could make changes to Welfare, or the Republicans could make changes to the stupid farm subsidies (like field corn) and oil subsidies, without people having an irrational cow.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

You should share the public held debt percentage of GDP. It still paints a not pretty picture, but doesn't try to go for shock value with a mostly meaningless number/chart.

If US voters were less stupid and less insane, and maybe if there were term limits, maybe this would be addressed someday. For example the Democrats could make changes to Welfare, or the Republicans could make changes to the stupid farm subsidies (like field corn) and oil subsidies, without people having an irrational cow.

Other than I think the chart isn't meaningless, I agree with you.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Thanks for sharing.  Great indication of how crazy spending has become for the US Government.   

I think the treasury needs interest rates to come down even more than the normal citizen based on how much US debt is going to roll over into higher rates soon. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Other than I think the chart isn't meaningless, I agree with you.

The chart isn't meaningless, but it is misleading. It doesn't account for inflation - $1 dollar added to the national debt in the 1920s went a lot further than $1 dollar in 2024. So any graph dealing with government spending from any country will look similar. But, once again, I'll say that dealing with government spending is impossible for a number of reasons.

When accounting for % of GDP, the national debt is high but it isn't the 

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Thanks for sharing.  Great indication of how crazy spending has become for the US Government.   

I think the treasury needs interest rates to come down even more than the normal citizen based on how much US debt is going to roll over into higher rates soon. 

One major policy mistake made over the last several administrations has been that they did not issue longer term bonds at near 0% rates. I'm not an economist nor am I an expert in Fiscal Policy, but I'd hope the government has a plan to better take advantage of the next time the United States finds itself in a near 0% interest rate environment. 

32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah....should have sold SOUNW for a profit.  :laughpound

But, now I'm so interested in seeing what happens that I'm sure I won't even it gets back up there again.

I sold it this morning for an 18% gain.

• Oh Yeah! 1
On 4/28/2024 at 11:07 PM, Moiraine said:

And not to mention, if elected Trump wants to restart his 2017 tax cuts.  

Term limits are needed - we got a lot of people from both parties getting fat off of govt pork. 

35 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

This is funny!

BUT...if you have your house paid off before you retire, or hopefully well before that, and you have any type of savings at all and assuming soc-sec is around, which it should be, you will be fine.

My retirement, if I ever retire, will be naps, gym, golf, lunch with friends, drinks, naps, golf and sleeping.  

Doesn't take much for those hobbies.  Plus, I can substitute teach and by then...it will be 400 dollars a day. 

• Plus1 2