** 2021 Opponent Previews : Buffalo (Game 3) **

22 hours ago, M.A. said:

They ran over them sure but Wagner looks pretty underwhelming. Viewing the performance I'm feeling more confidence for us. Thanks for sharing. 

Relief for an anxious fanbase.  With luck, we have one more week of distraction before reality returns in the form of OU.

I never thought 2-10 would sound good, but with this schedule, it might...

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, if #3 happens, does that change your outlook on the season?

If Lance Leipold was still there along with the 16 players who transferred out after he left it would do a lot more to move the needle for me. But as it stands, we don't really know much about this team and their new coach so it will be hard to get too excited about a win. If it a thorough annihilation by the Husker that would be encouraging but won't really change how I look at the rest of the season.

I'm first looking at whether Frost makes Stepp the starting back. He is in my opinion better than the rest of the pack.

If we trample them in our base rushing game and play error-free, it will probably make me feel much more confident about making a bowl game.

But have to just pause there and comment on how said it is in Frost's fourth year to have any sense of not feeling good about making a bowl game. Oy...

• Plus1 3

Just now, Undone said:

I'm first looking at whether Frost makes Stepp the starting back. He is in my opinion better than the rest of the pack.

If we trample them in our base rushing game and play error-free, it will probably make me feel much more confident about making a bowl game.

But have to just pause there and comment on how said it is in Frost's fourth year to not feeling good about making bowl. Oy...

Stepp has definitely been productive.  However, he's also had much better opportunities than Ervin.  Ervin has barely been able to get back to the LOS before running into defenders.  So I'm not sure it's as clear-cut as the stats might look like.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Stepp has definitely been productive.  However, he's also had much better opportunities than Ervin.  Ervin has barely been able to get back to the LOS before running into defenders.  So I'm not sure it's as clear-cut as the stats might look like.

Or maybe Stepp is running downhill into the holes with speed & power.

I hear your point - but I still think Stepp is the best option for a couple different reasons. One of them is that he's not a true freshman and has actually played football before at the Power 5 level.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Undone said:

Or maybe Stepp is running downhill into the holes with speed & power.

I hear your point - but I still think Stepp is the best option for a couple different reasons. One of them is that he's not a true freshman and has actually played football before at the Power 5 level.

Looking back, I question the decision to start Ervin in his very first game at this  level against Illinois. It may have benefitted the team to have someone with at least  a little experience start and work him in later. 

2 hours ago, Undone said:

But have to just pause there and comment on how said it is in Frost's fourth year to have any sense of not feeling good about making a bowl game. Oy...

I agree, Irvin physically looks the part but Stepp is performing better.  Usually you can see running back talent right when he gets the ball, and I understand that the line has been spotty, but none of these backs are standing out to me.  I hope someone proves me wrong.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I'd like to see more Yant even if it is situational. In the little we've seen him he appears to the hardest runner and hardest to bring down.

He is, but his plays where very basic, and if he comes in and misses a block his a$$ will be back on the bench.  With that said, he is a big boy.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Makes sense that they would feel that way and use that for motivation.  I always found it interesting and depressing watching us play the likes of Northern Illinois and South Alabama and seeing that they have multiple players that look more athletic than our starters.  Especially at Defensive End and Wide Receiver.