2021 NCAA Rules Changes

Some are common sense. Some are going to get some coaches in trouble (coming onto the field).

Panel approves changes to overtime rules in football

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel on Thursday approved a change to overtime rules for the 2021 football season.

Teams will be required to run a 2-point conversion play after a touchdown when a game reaches a second overtime period. Previously, a 2-point attempt was required after the third overtime period.

Also, if the game reaches a third overtime, teams will run alternating 2-point plays, instead of starting another drive at the opponent’s 25-yard line. This is a change from the previous rule, which started to use 2-point plays in the fifth overtime period.

This rules change is being made to limit the number of plays from scrimmage and bring the game to a quicker conclusion. Teams can still choose whether to kick the point after touchdown or run a 2-point conversion play during the first overtime period.

Team area

The Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved the team area being permanently extended to the 20-yard lines, starting in the 2021 season. Previously, the team area extended to the 25-yard lines, but this area was expanded to the 15-yard lines last season to create more spacing due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Unsportsmanlike tactics

In an editorial change to the rules book, video board and lighting system operators have been included in those personnel who may not create any distraction that obstructs play.

Feigning injuries

The panel supported the Football Rules Committee proposal to provide a framework to allow a school or conference to request a postgame video review about questionable actions through the NCAA secretary-rules editor/national coordinator of officials.

Points of emphasis

• For the 2021 season, it will be a point of emphasis for officials to penalize any taunting action directed toward an opponent. Committee members think these actions reflect poorly on the game and can lead to unnecessary confrontations.
  • Officials are directed to be alert to players who are significantly in violation of uniform rules and to send violators out of the game to correct the issue. This will include specifically the pants, jerseys and T-shirts that extend below the torso.
  • Coaches should not enter the field of play or leave the team area to debate officiating decisions. Those who do so will have committed an automatic unsportsmanlike conduct foul.
  • Plus1 2

25 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

The OT changes are stupid and reactionary. 

Agreed. I don't care too much about requiring the two-point earlier, although it's completely arbitrary to just say you can't call a play that is valid because they want the game to end. Switching to alternating 2 point shots is completely stupid, it's like deciding basketball overtime by alternating 3-point shots. I get that we don't want 7-overtime games, but it's a terrible and fluky way to decide a game. 

Do you think they'd allow a drop-kick on the 2-point play? As far as I know those are still legal. Probably a lower chance than a straight up 2-point play, but still.

16 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Agreed. I don't care too much about requiring the two-point earlier, although it's completely arbitrary to just say you can't call a play that is valid because they want the game to end. Switching to alternating 2 point shots is completely stupid, it's like deciding basketball overtime by alternating 3-point shots. I get that we don't want 7-overtime games, but it's a terrible and fluky way to decide a game. 

Do you think they'd allow a drop-kick on the 2-point play? As far as I know those are still legal. Probably a lower chance than a straight up 2-point play, but still.

I don't agree with changing the OT rules.  College football OT is just fine the way it has been...and one hell of a lot better than the NFL.  I would like to know how many games go into 3+ OTs.  I bet it's a very small percentage.  It just seems like something that they felt they needed to tinker with and it ends up looking like the NCAA is as inept as they actually are.

• Plus1 2

The OT rules change are likely to accommodate TV schedules. 

I agree that the coaches on the field will be a problem.  Coaches probably think they had to run out to get their attention so they can engage in their futile tirade.  I feel for the staffer who gets assigned to pull the head coach back to the sideline. He may want to invest in one of those retractable leashes.  

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

The OT rules change are likely to accommodate TV schedules. 

I agree that the coaches on the field will be a problem.  Coaches probably think they had to run out to get their attention so they can engage in their futile tirade.  I feel for the staffer who gets assigned to pull the head coach back to the sideline. He may want to invest in one of those retractable leashes.  

This made me picture in my head the guy who has to walk around behind him coiling up his headphones cord.  (don't think that's necessary anymore, but for old people, they will remember).  Now, just imagine that guy has only so much lead on the cord and the headphones are strapped on the coach.  

That would be some funny blooper crap right there.  

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

The point of emphasis is going to cost teams games this year. Refs are going to go way overboard on taunting calls. I can already see it.

This one bothers me.  OK, you don't need to be prancing around all over the field like an idiot because you made a play.  But...come on....these guys are competitive and the fans have no problem with a little celebration after a play. I still love a play where Jason Peter sacks a QB, stands up over him and throws the bones and I don't see a problem with that if it's instantaneous, short and to the point.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This one bothers me.  OK, you don't need to be prancing around all over the field like an idiot because you made a play.  But...come on....these guys are competitive and the fans have no problem with a little celebration after a play. I still love a play where Jason Peter sacks a QB, stands up over him and throws the bones and I don't see a problem with that if it's instantaneous, short and to the point.

Yeah, you shouldn't stand over a guy, stare at him and flex, but you gotta be able to let him know you'll be back. That's just part of the game.

5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Yeah, you shouldn't stand over a guy, stare at him and flex, but you gotta be able to let him know you'll be back. That's just part of the game.

The thing is, if the guy on the ground had the chance, many times he would do the same thing.

It's a very grey area and the Florida teams from the 80s started all of this push back on it.  They went overboard.  But, you still need to allow some celebration within the game.

This is the bottom line and all you need to know:

-When it goes to the 2nd possession in OT, you have to go for 2pt tries instead of the xtra point attempt.

-When it goes to the 3rd possession in OT, it's all 2pt attempts from here out.

Those are the new game rules to play by.  Ok fine.  Whatever.

The rest of the stuff is just dramarama ding dong.

1 hour ago, admo said:

This is the bottom line and all you need to know:

-When it goes to the 2nd possession in OT, you have to go for 2pt tries instead of the xtra point attempt.

-When it goes to the 3rd possession in OT, it's all 2pt attempts from here out.

Those are the new game rules to play by.  Ok fine.  Whatever.

The rest of the stuff is just dramarama ding dong.

giphy.gif.8c46a49e02db426d802f1481f5462828.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

To put it another way, there's now only two overtime possessions as we've known them previously, and in the second one teams have to go for 2 after a TD. If they're still tied after 2 overtimes, the format changes and instead of lining up at the 25, they instead do a 2pt conversion 'shootout', kinda like they do in hockey.

• Thanks 1

This one concerns me for development of players.

How is someone like an O lineman supposed to learn good habits and techniques without a lot of time in drills like this with pads on hitting someone?

Learning how to shed blocks and tackle is another concern.  I think coaches are going to have to get creative on other ways to teach these things.