Trev Alberts named new Husker AD - 11 a.m. press conference

11 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I'm ok with the 2 year extension.  In the long term - I think it will work for our benefit.  Here is why:

1.  The depth of the rebuild was deeper than I think we all knew -  I don't think the AD or Frost and his team realized the depth of the rebuild.  Not that it matters, the fan base especially didn't realize it.  Thus we lived under the mis-quided & deceptive false expectations that we'd see a UCF type turnaround here. 

2.  The rebuild wasn't just in talent but perhaps more importantly in culture & work ethic & strength training.  We could have had all 5 * players but the culture would have held us back. 

3.  Frost and assistant coaches, being new to the Big 10 and its culture, made big recruiting mistakes on the type of players they needed to win in the Big 10.  We are now recruiting the type of players that I think will make us competitive in the Big 10.  Without the 2 year extension, I don't think we would of gotten these type of players.  I'm thinking of the recent TE, WR, LB especially.  The Big 10 is a totally different animal than the AAC or Pac 10 (Frost's Oregon experience). 

4. I do think this year we will see the difference in culture, work ethic and the new type of player on the field that better fits the Big 10.  However, I think our schedule works against us to fully see the results in our record,  but I do still think 2022 will be our "restore the order' year.  Our players will be older and more experienced - so many of our players (other than starters on our D) are Soph or younger. 

5.  This super senior year will enable our team to develop I believe. 

I believe we will get to a bowl this year 7-5 or 8-4.  

2022 - 10-2 or better  - if we play up to our potential.  It will be interesting to see who the QB will be.  IF AM returns to and improves upon his Frosh year - then great. Otherwise  I think we have some good guys in the wings. 

If Frost flames out in 2022 - then I think we will have a real 'Coming to Jesus' moment. 

I hope you are correct. I am simply suggesting extending to 7 instead of keeping it at 5 only seems to put the athletic department on the hook for 10 mil additional payout if it doesnt work out. 

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

All of which will be donated money and have nothing to do with the AD budget.

that 10 mil could have been used for a plethora of other things. Like a new coach coming in that we have to buyout etc. if it came to that. Look I am very hopeful we make it to a bowl this year and 2022 is our double digit win year to get us back on the map. Just not understanding the purpose of a 7 year deal as opposed to a 5 year one. 

• Plus1 2
40 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

The same Riley who inherited a program consistently winning the majority of their games and had a nothing out of the ordinary happen other than the weird stuff he created.  Hip Hip Hooray

I mean he won how many games his second year and then our AD forced him to make staff changes? We would have had a better year with Diaco nowhere near our program in year 3. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

No i dont think we should have shorted his contract. I think we should extend it to 5 years, not 7. All 7 does is put us on the hook for an extra 10 mil and 2 years if it doesnt work out. 

"I would have used it to reduce pay and put final conditions/expectations over a short interim of 1-2 years".  Your original quote that started the discussion.  Doing so would kill recruiting and effectively end a coaches time at that university.

• Plus1 2

Just now, Hilltop said:

"I would have used it to reduce pay and put final conditions/expectations over a short interim of 1-2 years".  Your original quote that started the discussion.  Doing so would kill recruiting and effectively end a coaches time at that university.

I didnt say that....

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Exactly, 5 years on a contract is plenty. Not sure why we needed 7 on Frost. Either he turns it around or he doesnt. Lets just all hope we make a bowl this year. Otherwise I would imagine recruting tanks...like really tanks. 

Pretty sure the reason it happened how/when it did is there were already 2-3 coaches who were also in there second year getting fired.  So it was done to show that Frost had full support and wasn't going anywhere.

So the overall length wasn't necessarily needed but it was done to show he wasn't in the same situations as others in his hiring class.

• Plus1 3
Just now, Mavric said:

Pretty sure the reason it happened how/when it did is there were already 2-3 coaches who were also in there second year getting fired.  So it was done to show that Frost had full support and wasn't going anywhere.

So the overall length wasn't necessarily needed but it was done to show he wasn't in the same situations as others in his hiring class.

just seems odd and slightly pointless in the grand scheme of things in terms of turning the program around. Good on Scott for getting that extra 10 mil. 

I think it's fair to say though that the extension (that came at the tail end of the 2019 season) maybe only looks weirder because of how the 2020 season went. Probably important to point that out.

If we had beaten Illinois & Minnesota (putting us at 5-3) and then locked in a winning season I believe it then looks quite differently standing here today.

That's just kind of how hindsight works though right?

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think it's fair to say though that the extension (that came at the tail end of the 2019 season) maybe only looks weirder because of how the 2020 season went. Probably important to point that out.

Looking at the buyout numbers, it looks like the extension was Moos was making good on a promise that Frost would have at least 5 years to shake this out. Which I'm good with. Obviously we could pony up and fire him after 21 or 22, but it would hurt financially. I think the consensus when Frost was hired is 5 years would be needed to really see where this is going. Looks to me this is set up for Trev to evaluate for 2 seasons, and decide to extend or terminate after 2022. 

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Biggest Buyouts in CFB History

Gus at Auburn - $21.5 Million

Taggart at FSU - $20 Million

Weis at ND - $19 Million

Herman at Texas - $15.4 Million

Briles at Baylor - $15.1 Million

*Frost after 2021 would be $20 Million, after 2022 would be $15 Million. 

Nvm.  Reading is hard.