Is Barry’s Back?

1 minute ago, Atbone95 said:

Getting out of "Barry's coming back" and more into federal unemployment policy, general unemployment trends, etc... :) 

But I got a coffee at Scooter's yesterday morning and they were offering a $200 signing bonus to be a barista. Just to work the drive through. 

Hotel I stayed at last weekend had a sign on the door offering a $300 signing bonus for anyone who would start as a maid that same week. 

HyVee across from my house is doing on-the-spot interviews for anyone who will walk in right now. Everyone is struggling pretty hard. 

McDonald’s was paying $20 just to interview 

1 hour ago, Atbone95 said:

Getting out of "Barry's coming back" and more into federal unemployment policy, general unemployment trends, etc... :) 

But I got a coffee at Scooter's yesterday morning and they were offering a $200 signing bonus to be a barista. Just to work the drive through. 

Hotel I stayed at last weekend had a sign on the door offering a $300 signing bonus for anyone who would start as a maid that same week. 

HyVee across from my house is doing on-the-spot interviews for anyone who will walk in right now. Everyone is struggling pretty hard. 

As an HR guy...getting people to want a job right now is fricken hard

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Atbone95 said:

There are some gas stations here in NC offering $500.  Signing bonuses.  If i was in need of more money I might just apply and get the signing bonus.  Then quit.  Also found out that most of these places are paying out signing bonus over a few months to keep people in the position 

On 8/3/2021 at 8:41 AM, DevoHusker said:

In that atmosphere, that close to campus, on home game days...it's gonna happen, and not just at Barry's.

Over 5,000 people go in and out of that place on a game day, which already has very relaxed drinking rules on that day.  

Those bars thrive because of the college kids, I am sure it is cracked down a bit more now but anyone that was on campus in the 70's and 80's can probably tell stories about how easy it was to get into the bars to drink without being 21.

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Over 5,000 people go in and out of that place on a game day, which already has very relaxed drinking rules on that day.  

Those bars thrive because of the college kids, I am sure it is cracked down a bit more now but anyone that was on campus in the 70's and 80's can probably tell stories about how easy it was to get into the bars to drink without being 21.

Never had a problem at the Brass Rail in the early 80’s….

I don’t remember going to any bars on game day. We’d either drink at the house or usually at a champagne breakfast somewhere in town, go to the game with a bottle, already feeling no pain, and then hopefully stumble back to the frat when the game was over. Its all kind of a blur after that. On more than one occasion some guys wouldn’t make it past the champagne breakfast :lol:

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Never had a problem at the Brass Rail in the early 80’s….

I don’t remember going to any bars on game day. We’d either drink at the house or usually at a champagne breakfast somewhere in town, go to the game with a bottle, already feeling no pain, and then hopefully stumble back to the frat when the game was over. Its all kind of a blur after that. On more than one occasion some guys wouldn’t make it past the champagne breakfast :lol:

Ha!

Even though you are much much older than I am, I also don't remember hitting up the bars on game day when I was on campus, but now it seems packed with college kids.

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ha!

Even though you are much much older than I am, I also don't remember hitting up the bars on game day when I was on campus, but now it seems packed with college kids.

When I was a pledge, my room mate was from Comstock NE (near Broken Bow). His parents made the trip on parents day to see him and go to the game. We get back to the house after champagne breakfast, his parents show up, we can’t find him so everyone heads to the game. His parents figure they’ll see him after. Well, couldn’t find him after either. They go back to Comstock without seeing him. He had passed out in somebody else’s room on a different floor. Missed the whole game and his parents :lol:

• Haha 4
5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

When I was a pledge, my room mate was from Comstock NE (near Broken Bow). His parents made the trip on parents day to see him and go to the game. We get back to the house after champagne breakfast, his parents show up, we can’t find him so everyone heads to the game. His parents figure they’ll see him after. Well, couldn’t find him after either. They go back to Comstock without seeing him. He had passed out in somebody else’s room on a different floor. Missed the whole game and his parents :lol:

That is awesome!

Was he the typical farmer/rancher kid that goes to college for 4 years to party and then just goes back to work the family farm/ranch? 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, teachercd said:

That is awesome!

Was he the typical farmer/rancher kid that goes to college for 4 years to party and then just goes back to work the family farm/ranch? 

No, he was pretty bright. I think he actually used his education. But I know exactly what you’re talking about.

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

That is awesome!

Ha! I was a farmer's kid, but dad didn't want me to be some "po' dirt farmer". He probably would have kicked my tail back to college if I dropped out.  Although, I did drop out but soon got a job in my chosen major anyway (computer programmer, er, software engineer, for an airline in Florida). 

Late 70's/early 80's Horsefeathers bar was one of the hot spots. I kinda miss that place, not that I hung out there much.  

4 minutes ago, GamingGlen said:

Ha! I was a farmer's kid, but dad didn't want me to be some "po' dirt farmer". He probably would have kicked my tail back to college if I dropped out.  Although, I did drop out but soon got a job in my chosen major anyway (computer programmer, er, software engineer, for an airline in Florida). 

Late 70's/early 80's Horsefeathers bar was one of the hot spots. I kinda miss that place, not that I hung out there much.  

I would imagine back then you could get a job in that field without a degree because it was all so new still, right?

Horsefeathers? Was that in Lincoln?  That is the best and worst name ever for a bar!

7 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

As an HR guy...getting people to want a job right now is fricken hard

People have wisened up a bit through the pandemic and started valuing themselves too much to be subjected and manipulated into the worst pay for the hardest work, and have realized they hold more power than they think. 

• Haha 3
On 8/8/2021 at 10:26 PM, teachercd said:

I would imagine back then you could get a job in that field without a degree because it was all so new still, right?

Horsefeathers? Was that in Lincoln?  That is the best and worst name ever for a bar!

I ain't THAT old.  :P  I passed the screening test showing I knew more about programming than taking one class in COBOL (a business-oriented programming language still in use today I believe; and not the fabled lost home of KOBOL from Battlestar Galactica).

Of course it was in Lincoln, downtown even.  My studio apartment was about a block or two away, so it was easy for me to stumble home from there. :cheers

On 8/9/2021 at 12:35 AM, Lorewarn said:

People have wisened up a bit through the pandemic and started valuing themselves too much to be subjected and manipulated into the worst pay for the hardest work, and have realized they hold more power than they think. 

The sad thing is- lots of people think fast food is the "hardest work"- when they've never worked on a construction crew in 100 degree heat or in a meat packing plant or the like. FF isn't easy- but it's not the hardest either and it isn't meant to be a full time career- it's an entry point resume builder. To prove to others you can show up on time and not get fired. See in capitalism- it's based on merit- you don't get to start at the top, not how that whole thing works.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 2