Illinois Game Highlights

Mavric

39 minutes ago, Undone said:

Tannor's number seems to get called a lot for the stunts, which makes sense because of his speed & athleticism. I remember that he put a similar hit on Indiana's QB in that 2019 game and rattled the guy so bad I thought maybe it had taken him out of the contest.

But with stunts you're going to be getting there late. So just like with the penalty he got on Saturday, he's just plain going to have to be smarter about where he drives in for the tackle to avoid penalties like that.

The hit wasn't late and he drove into the QB at his chest.  Exactly what he was supposed to do.  Honestly, watching the film it appears his only problem was that he wrapped up which caused him to come down hard on the QB.  Darn....we have tacklers wrapping up.  The taunting afterwards was uncalled for.  I never saw a replay that showed it, so I'm not sure exactly what he did.

I firmly believe that if we hadn't already knocked one QB out of the game, the roughing the passer isn't called on this one....only the taunting.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Honestly, watching the film it appears his only problem was that he wrapped up which caused him to come down hard on the QB.

Gotcha, that could be it. I sort of thought it was maybe that they didn't like he led with the helmet to the numbers - but you might be right.

Ill admit, I stopped watching the game at half. I figured I was just bad luck anyway. So maybe it's not me. Anyway, I dont want to blame the refs because Nebraska certainly doesnt do themselves any favors with their mistakes. But every time i see this ref crew, I cringe. That roughing the passer and taunting call was clear horse spit. I'm sure this wont be the last time this year we see this officiating crew. And I'm sure they'll suck balls when we do see them.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The hit wasn't late and he drove into the QB at his chest.  Exactly what he was supposed to do.  Honestly, watching the film it appears his only problem was that he wrapped up which caused him to come down hard on the QB.  Darn....we have tacklers wrapping up.  The taunting afterwards was uncalled for.  I never saw a replay that showed it, so I'm not sure exactly what he did.

I firmly believe that if we hadn't already knocked one QB out of the game, the roughing the passer isn't called on this one....only the taunting.

I agree it shouldn't be roughing, but picking the guy up and launching to the ground has been an automatic roughing call for quite a while now. They only showed it once, they initial replay cuts away right after he hits him - but he definitely lifted the QB off the ground and pile-drived (drove?) him. Stupid that it's a penalty if it's not late IMO, but it's been that way for a while. Never saw the taunting either, but did an Illinois player not mime peeing on the ground after a second half sack? Maybe I misinterpreted his celebration, I'll catch it on a re-watch.

• Thanks 2
9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Exactly what he was supposed to do.

Not pick him up and drive him into the ground after the initial hit which he clearly did.

Whether we like or dislike the current rules is irrelevant. They are the rules of the games and unless you have access to the Wayback Machine you have to play by the rules or expect to get flagged.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Not pick him up and drive him into the ground after the initial hit which he clearly did.

Whether we like or dislike the current rules is irrelevant. They are the rules of the games and unless you have access to the Wayback Machine you have to play by the rules or expect to get flagged.

The "pick up" was very slight and was more of driving through on the tackle, wrapping up and the QB coming off his feet.  It was a great play and great tackle.

If that's the rules, then he needs to do it differently.  It's frustrating that there is such a thin line between what is a great play and what is a catastrophic penalty.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
40 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The "pick up" was very slight and was more of driving through on the tackle, wrapping up and the QB coming off his feet.  It was a great play and great tackle.

If that's the rules, then he needs to do it differently.  It's frustrating that there is such a thin line between what is a great play and what is a catastrophic penalty.

Totally agree there, same issue with some of the targeting calls across the country. There are a lot that make sense, but there are a lot that only have a slight head tilt between great play and targeting. But with the roughing, the mindset has to be changed from punish the QB whenever you get the chance to just try and disrupt the throw. 

In any case, that's the penalty call I had the least issue with. The OPI and at least one of the holdings were very iffy in my opinion. But we made too many mistakes without the refs to complain about the handful of questionable calls, impactful as they were.

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

The OPI and at least one of the holdings were very iffy in my opinion

Yeah I really doubt that the player Martin bumps into could have gotten anywhere close to disrupting Toure's catch.

Hugely underrated play there because we got down to about their 17 or 18. Unbelievably frustrating.

At the end of the day- bad teams are rarely going to get the calls. It happens at every level of football. Most of these ref crews have done our games before or know about NU. It happens at every level of football. Refereeing is much harder to do than you might think- you wont know until you've done it. WHen something is questionable- you take the easy way out and side with the better coached teams. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Once the ball is released, the defender has to let up.  It’s pretty clear in the rules and like people have said before, it’s been this way way for a few years.   

• Plus1 1