Special Teams- Were Worse When YOu Go Into More Detail

13 hours ago, Hilltop said:

That's not the point.  Most of your original message was fabricated, completely.  Not sure what your motive is but you need to quit lying to accomplish it 

I was AT the game. When CTB was trotting onto the field- he barely made it out there prior to the punt. He set up at the goal line- then I switched to watch the kick. When I turned my head back- he was catching it at the 1. I immediately got up and went to get a beer- I was seeing another NU special teams coyote- roadrunner sketch. Didnt even bother sticking around for the safety ruling. Didnt watch the replay, aggravated at the incompetence. 

Watched the game again last night- he must have moved up to the 10 after setting up on the goal line. In any event you set your feet at a point where you ARENT backing up. You let it go over your head and into the endzone. 

Very poor coaching- something everyone practices. This isnt the first time our punt return guys have fielded punts inside the 5 and I suspect it wont be the last.  Our Kickoff return guys are almost as bad. At this point its almost comical- thats why I left. Its like a bad Twilight Zone episode- the ineptness of our special teams. 

Special teams can be special. I don’t think our staff puts much emphasis to it. I’m a Chiefs fan. If Mecole Hardman doesn’t make that 40-45 yard kick return down 24-0 to the Houston Texans during the playoffs and the Chiefs Super Bowl winning season, a comeback probably never happens.

Games can be won with ST. It’s a massive swing. The field position game is one area you have to win and I don’t think HCSF respects how important it truly is. Maybe it’s an after thought?

Either way, the results we are getting from years past up till now is indicative of a poorly coached team. This is on SF and his staff. Add the fact that we were busted by the NCAA for having a ST consultant? That’s just Nickelodeon green slime being dumped on our heads right there.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

First play in the video.  He was clearly out around the 10....or even the 15.

Outside of the stupidity of running from around the 15 or 12 yard line to catch it at about the 2 yard line, while in the endzone CTB actually throws the ball like he can pass the ball forward as a fumble.  In his mind, he believes all these options are better than never catching the ball and just taking a touch back.  

It's just the same ol' "dig a hole", "dig a deeper hole" and then, "dig a deeper, deeper hole".

And again, this isn't a freshmen ... it is one of your "best" players.

• Fire 1
Just now, BigRedN said:

Outside of the stupidity of running from around the 15 or 12 yard line to catch it at about the 2 yard line, while in the endzone CTB actually throws the ball like he can pass the ball forward as a fumble.  In his mind, he believes all these options are better than never catching the ball and just taking a touch back.  

It's just the same ol' "dig a hole", "dig a deeper hole" and then, "dig a deeper, deeper hole".

And again, this isn't a freshmen ... it is one of your "best" players.

I completely 100% agree.  Everything he did on this play was wrong.....other than where he was lined up at the beginning of the punt.  That was my only point to my post as someone was claiming he was lined up at the 1.  

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I completely 100% agree.  Everything he did on this play was wrong.....other than where he was lined up at the beginning of the punt.  That was my only point to my post as someone was claiming he was lined up at the 1.  

Yep, I wasn't questioning your point at all.  It's all just sad.

I get that the coaches probably did everything they could in practice to prevent something like CTB catching the ball at the goal line, he made that decision himself in the heat of the moment. You can't truly replicate game scenarios in a drill. You can tell the guy in practice that the punter has downed us inside the 3 multiple times, and that our offense is struggling, etc - it's still a drill, so it's easy to let the ball go when you're supposed to.

But he needs to be replaced as the returner IMO. You get one colossal game mistake as a returner, he burned his last year at Iowa. At this point its not a one off thing, it's getting close to a history of bad decisions in critical moments. It's one area where game performance should absolutely outweigh practice since it can't really be replicated in practice. I don't see why he will learn from this one if he didn't learn from the Iowa one.

47 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

First play in the video.  He was clearly out around the 10....or even the 15.

See the above post I made:

I was AT the game. When CTB was trotting onto the field- he barely made it out there prior to the punt. He set up at the goal line- then I switched to watch the kick. When I turned my head back- he was catching it at the 1. I immediately got up and went to get a beer- I was seeing another NU coyote- roadrunner sketch. Didnt even bother sticking around for the safety ruling. Didnt watch the replay. 

Watched the game again last night- he must have moved up to the 10 after setting up on the goal line. In any event you set your feet at a point where you ARENT backing up. You let it go over your head and into the endzone. 

Very poor coaching- something everyone practices. This isnt the first time our punt return guys have fielded punts inside the 5 and I suspect it wont be the last.  Our Kickoff return guys are almost as bad. At this point its almost comical- thats why I left. Its like a bad Twilight Zone episode- the ineptness of our special teams. 

20 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I get that the coaches probably did everything they could in practice to prevent something like CTB catching the ball at the goal line, he made that decision himself in the heat of the moment. You can't truly replicate game scenarios in a drill. You can tell the guy in practice that the punter has downed us inside the 3 multiple times, and that our offense is struggling, etc - it's still a drill, so it's easy to let the ball go when you're supposed to.

But he needs to be replaced as the returner IMO. You get one colossal game mistake as a returner, he burned his last year at Iowa. At this point its not a one off thing, it's getting close to a history of bad decisions in critical moments. It's one area where game performance should absolutely outweigh practice since it can't really be replicated in practice. I don't see why he will learn from this one if he didn't learn from the Iowa one.

THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED. We struggle on both our punt and kickoff guys fielding kicks they shouldnt. This ISNT a one off deal. 

Yes you can replicate near game day scenarios. We used to put our entire team surrounding our PAT guy- screaming, yelling, tossing up scrimmage vests- the penalty if he missed 10- 100 yard sprints. Same on kick returns- 20 guys doing the same thing

Sudden change- Whistle in middle of practice. Have to make PATs, FGs, Kick Returns 100 mph- up downs, sprints on misses,  kids distracting etc

LOTS of coaches do this, I dont think ours do- because the top doesnt really embrace the importance of special teams. He thinks offense wins games. 

54 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

Dawson has said they are told returning becomes iffy at the 8, anything past the 5 is no go zone. So it seems it's being taught but just not being executed.

Seems like they need to simplify their rules since they are not following them in the game. 

With convoluted rules like “‘iffy’ at the 8 and no go at the 5” then for a team that really sucks in PR game, they are teaching advanced skills to kids who haven’t even proved themselves capable of the baby steps.

What other advanced knowledge are they teaching before they’re ready?

• Thanks 1