Calling out all Frost Supporters

20 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

We're 3-9. No post season for 5 years in a row now. THAT'S pee-wee football.

Air Force just got their 9th win tonight. They destroyed UNLV and their ultra-mega-awesome-spread passing offense 48-14. They're in the hunt for the Mountain West championship, and had a bowl game locked up weeks ago. If that's pee-wee football, I'll take it over 3-9.

We don't play in the mountain west bro! We don't play unranked teams every week. We play in the B1G and have played 6 top 20 teams to the wire. The results this season are awful, but anyone who denies there has been progress on many levels is lying to themselves. The problem is not scheme, it's mental attitude and coaching/discipline.

This team doesn't get it's a$$ whooped by a mediocre Michigan team anymore. They don't get rolled by tOSU even with nothing to play for. There has been progress, but it's slower than we would have liked.

And zone blocking is used by every single team in college and pro.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

I would like the ability to use a FB (HB) in certain situations.  Maybe incorporate some traps, counters and some dives off of this.  Our run game seems to consist of inside/outside zone read or just a RB off center. And probably a lot of designed QB runs or scrambles.  TBH,  I am unsure how well AM was making some of the reads.    I wonder if having such a run centered QB offense hurts our ability to recruit/develop/keep quality backs.    The FB/HB would allow an extra blocker on passing downs, lead blocker, etc...I like what Chadwell does with a 2 back set.  We could incorporate something similar. We have a lot of backs that could be good given the chance. Easier to keep guys happy if they are on the field more.  I think this type of running game would also be less predicated on a run first QB and allow us to try and find a traditional/game manager/pass first type QB.

But you understand that teams like Ohio State and Oregon run power zone rushing schemes, right?

I’m just trying to figure out where these ideas are coming from inside our fan base.

Is it that our players are just too stupid/poorly coached to run the scheme we have?

Because as I alluded to, if we need to sit here and list out teams that have dominated the college football landscape over the last 15 years with zone blocking schemes, we could seriously do that for hours in this thread.

Like is this just personal preference stuff, like the kind of football YOU want to watch?

Help me understand why severely dumbing down our scheme is our only possible path to success (and I know you didn’t use those words but you know what I mean).

5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

We don't play in the mountain west bro! We don't play unranked teams every week. We play in the B1G and have played 6 top 20 teams to the wire. The results this season are awful, but anyone who denies there has been progress on many levels is lying to themselves. The problem is not scheme, it's mental attitude and coaching/discipline.

This team doesn't get it's a$$ whooped by a mediocre Michigan team anymore. They don't get rolled by tOSU even with nothing to play for. There has been progress, but it's slower than we would have liked.

Jeremy wants NU to be a military academy offense. They are the only teams at higher than a 70/30 run pass ratio. 

15 minutes ago, Undone said:

So 80/20 run/pass split? That’s the threshold?

Only military academies are higher than a 70/30 run/pass split. 

Just now, ZRod said:

Agreed, but at the same time, Air Force can't recruit like we do. Nearly every team they play is far more talented than they are. Georgia Tech can't really recruit all that well, either.

I also agree that there has been progress, but I see Frost's offense as one of the main issues holding us back. We try to throw, pass block, straight drop, get sacked, safety, etc. In a run-based offense, you keep the clock running, keep the defense rested and off the field, and wear out the defensive front. Get some of their back-ups in, and push them around. Get them loading the box, and drop one over their head, a football tale as old as Knute Rockne. 

It's who we are as a state. Hard-nosed, hard-working, lunch-pale type people. We are skeptical of flash-in-the-pan, too-good-to-be-true type things. Success and victory is only achieved through pushing through, not the easy way. Nebraska football was built on this. Down after down, play after play, run after run - being TOUGHER than the other guys. It was something we used to cherish and be proud of. I miss it.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Jeremy wants NU to be a military academy offense. They are the only teams at higher than a 70/30 run pass ratio. 

That is the perfect way to guarantee recruiting falls off the face of the earth.  We'd be dead last in the division every year. That might be the one thing that could get me to stop watching this team. 

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, ZRod said:

+1, exactly.

This is why I feel like the main weak links were Austin and Held. 

I think I probably need to first hear what the situation is with Adrian before I really stick with this next statement, because who’s back there at QB is hugely important to this...but I feel more and more confident that if we hugely diverge from the scheme we’ve been working with that it’ll get even worse for us.

We have a relatively talented pool of WRs coming back; I don’t want to just try to be Iowa or Navy.

What we probably really just needed was to strip Frost of the idea that his run/pass ratio needs to be close to that 50/50 or 55/45 zone and bump it closer to like 60/40.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Stats are for losers. The only stat that matters is the score, and we've averaged 23 points per game against FBS competition under Frost. That's NOT a solid scheme. In fact, that SUCKS. You don't know what a flexbone offense would do against the B1G. Army has done well against both Michigan and Wisconsin with a FRACTION of our talent, so you literally couldn't be MORE wrong. 

This scheme in Lincoln has never won anything of significance. We're one of the worst teams in the conference. A doormat. It's idiotic to want to continue doing the same crap that has gotten us here.

You realize none of the national champions in the past 20 years has run the ball more than 70% of the time, right?  If running the ball 70% of the time is the key to success then why aren't more teams doing it? 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

That is the perfect way to guarantee recruiting falls off the face of the earth.  We'd be dead last in the division every year. That might be the one thing that could get me to stop watching this team. 

...and to get guys like Zavier Betts and Alante Brown popping into the transfer portal in a flash.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Undone said:

But you understand that teams like Ohio State and Oregon run power zone rushing schemes, right?

I’m just trying to figure out where these ideas are coming from inside our fan base.

Is it that our players are just too stupid/poorly coached to run the scheme we have?

Because as I alluded to, if we need to sit here and list out teams that have dominated the college football landscape over the last 15 years with zone blocking schemes, we could seriously do that for hours in this thread.

Like is this just personal preference stuff, like the kind of football YOU want to watch?

Help me understand why severely dumbing down our scheme is our only possible path to success (and I know you didn’t use those words but you know what I mean).

Ohio State and Oregon can do these things because they are Ohio State and Oregon. We are not them, nor will we EVER be. We have tried zone blocking schemes for, what, 18 years now? What do we have to show for it? We don't have guys like Stroud, Olave, Smith-Njigba. Never have, never will. We can't 'dominate the college football landscape' with these types offenses, because we're nowhere CLOSE to getting the best players for it.

Why do we need to be super complex? What's wrong with simple, but effective?

• Fire 1
5 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

You realize none of the national champions in the past 20 years has run the ball more than 70% of the time, right?  If running the ball 70% of the time is the key to success then why aren't more teams doing it? 

In the past 18 years, trying to throw the ball, Nebraska has nothing to show for it. Why keep trying to do what everyone else is doing, and continue to fail? We made it to the B1G Title game once, and what did Wisconsin do to absolutely DESTROY us?

I'll give you a hint. It wasn't by throwing.

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

...and to get guys like Zavier Betts and Alante Brown popping into the transfer portal in a flash.

Maybe. Question, though. Did either of these guys even get the ball once today? Did they get it a whole lot during the season? 

2 minutes ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

They would have won the national championship even harder if they had!

Or, um, something.

Can we recruit like Clemson and Alabama? 

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

+1, exactly.

This is why I feel like the main weak links were Austin and Held. 

I think I probably need to first hear what the situation is with Adrian before I really stick with this next statement, because who’s back there at QB is hugely important to this...but I feel more and more confident that if we hugely diverge from the scheme we’ve been working with that it’ll get even worse for us.

We have a relatively talented pool of WRs coming back; I don’t want to just try to be Iowa or Navy.

What we probably really just needed was to strip Frost of the idea that his run/pass ratio needs to be close to that 50/50 or 55/45 zone and bump it closer to like 60/40.

I think Frost's run pass ratio is usually around 55/45, and if NU were leading more games it would trend closer to 60-40. I think where Frost's offense has to improve is being able to run the ball with the running backs. I like a running QB, but the QB run game can't be used as often as it has been under Martinez/Luke/Smothers. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1