New Staff Selection

5 minutes ago, Farms said:

It's a win win for him.  He's 60, he can coach at LSU for 4 years, get canned and go live in a beach house somewhere with his hundred milly.

Kind of like Mike Riley.  I can give it a go at this big program and see what happens, but if I fail who cares?  They offered me the job, that is on the administration.

• Plus1 3

20 minutes ago, Farms said:

I think Notre Dame might be on to something.  They are probably telling Freeman we think you can keep this thing rolling without Brian, and we'll pony up the money to keep as many as assistants as possible rather than going out and chasing Luke Fickell for $10 million a year.  Look at how other successful programs have just kept it rolling by moving an assistant up.  Ohio State, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, are ones that come to mind. 

Personally, I think this could result in ND improving. Brian Kelly has always seemed to me to be a bit of a (self-centered) opportunist and it will be interesting if we see any kind of meaningful turnaround at LSU....I'm not confident we will.

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, Farms said:

I think Notre Dame might be on to something.  They are probably telling Freeman we think you can keep this thing rolling without Brian, and we'll pony up the money to keep as many as assistants as possible rather than going out and chasing Luke Fickell for $10 million a year.  Look at how other successful programs have just kept it rolling by moving an assistant up.  Ohio State, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, are ones that come to mind. 

Osborne to Solich until Peterson started the curse. 

Just now, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I already ate lunch

Was it the chili and cinnamon roll?

• Plus1 1

It's a bit interesting when one looks at it from different perspectives.  For Lincoln Riley at his age and where he is at with regards to his career, he seemed to run from the SEC.  For Brian Kelly at his age and where he is at in terms of his career, he welcomed the challenge of the SEC.  It wasn't that long ago coaches were falling all over themselves at a chance in the SEC.  I'm looking at you Bert. 

1 minute ago, junior4949 said:

It's a bit interesting when one looks at it from different perspectives.  For Lincoln Riley at his age and where he is at with regards to his career, he seemed to run from the SEC.  For Brian Kelly at his age and where he is at in terms of his career, he welcomed the challenge of the SEC.  It wasn't that long ago coaches were falling all over themselves at a chance in the SEC.  I'm looking at you Bert. 

It is interesting.

If your goal is to get into the playoffs and have a chance to win an NC, why would you go to the SEC?  Which....reminds me of how idiotic I think the whole Texas and OU to the SEC is.

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

He was smart to come home to the Big 10.  At least he isn't a bottom dweller this year like..........unspoken team located in Lincoln. 

Riley was smart to go to USC rather than LSU.  The SEC has been on a long run for dominance in football, but everything is cyclical.  I can see where the tide eventually changes and another conference has a dominant run.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, junior4949 said:

Riley was smart to go to USC rather than LSU.  The SEC has been on a long run for dominance in football, but everything is cyclical.  I can see where the tide eventually changes and another conference has a dominant run.  

Yep, just like the Big 8 was dominate for many years. OU and Nebraska rotated in being 'the team' for many years.    It will be interesting if we can get a playoff of

Georgia, Michigan, Okla State and Cinci this year.  3 new comers to the party - no Bama, No OSU, No Okla, No Clemson.   That will pick up the interest. 

• Fire 1
13 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

What concerns me about the playoff this year is if Bama beats Georgia.  

I hope Georgia beats the brakes off them.  I'm sick of people trying to figure out how Alabama should be in the playoff just because they are Alabama.  2 loss Alabama is not more deserving than any other team with less losses.  

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1