Alongside with new staff hires, one thing that needs to happen:

Cdog923

Just now, ActualCornHusker said:

Chins needs to continue to improve his scheme vs power run heavy offenses, but they did enough in both of those games to win. 

...and JoJo was out against Wisconsin, and then both he and Daniels were out against Iowa.

Absolutely made a big difference.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KCBuc said:

Chin did better this year, and I HATE his style of defense. 

Puts a lot of pressure on Reimers, JoJo and #42 to make most of the tackles. If they miss, the secondary does a terrible job at helping out.  Also, I like #44, but he gets assigned too often on the edge, just to bull rush the tackle, which takes him out of many plays. 

I like Chins. I think he has improved his defense.  And hoping the super seniors have shown the way to be physical and toughness. 

We lack pass rushers taking down the QB as everyone knows.  Sometimes I'm not sure what the secondary does if a pass doesn't go to there guy and the WR drops it.  A little harsh, but kind of true.  I'm mostly worried about the secondary for next season.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No we didn't.

Yeah I was going to say...even just for the cross-divisionals, we played Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State.

They played Penn State (who really wound up regressing down the stretch IMO), Indiana (who completely sucks all of a sudden now), and Maryland.

Yeah, Iowa does play Michigan this weekend but we're talking about the regular season games played to-date.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Undone said:

...and JoJo was out against Wisconsin, and then both he and Daniels were out against Iowa.

Absolutely made a big difference.

Not to mention Deontai Williams. Farmer needs to improve his tackling, I've got to think Deontai at least slows down Goodson on his 50+ yarder and maybe pushes Allen out on his second long TD. For that matter we were doing ok against Allen (except for the massive play where CTB just tried to shove him) until Daniels left the game for good. 

But now without Williams and Jojo for sure and likely without Daniels, how is the run D in 2022? Hoping the late season reps for Hutmacher/Gifford/Gunnerson/Farmer pay off, those guys need to make some strides before next year.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, admo said:

But got exposed against Minnesota, Purdue and Illinois.  :unsure:  Well, not just them, the defense in general.

I seriously would put those specific losses on the offense.

I made an in-depth write-up about the Minnesota game. Even though we let them rack up 396 yards, their offense only put up 28 points. Meanwhile, Culp missed a PAT, missed a FG (even though he hit a 50 yarder), our offense got safety'd, and Yant tripped on that 4th & goal on the 1 where we should have scored - or at least kicked a FG on that play instead.

• Plus1 2

The defense took a step in the right direction this year.  My question is has he peaked or is there going to be another step in the right direction next year?

If there is, we might be onto something.

We lose some good players, but that should happen almost every year at most schools.  It's pretty normal in college football.  That shouldn't be an excuse to take a step back.  It's not like he hasn't had 5 years to build depth.  If the depth is not there it's on him.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

Not to mention Deontai Williams. Farmer needs to improve his tackling, I've got to think Deontai at least slows down Goodson on his 50+ yarder and maybe pushes Allen out on his second long TD. For that matter we were doing ok against Allen (except for the massive play where CTB just tried to shove him) until Daniels left the game for good. 

But now without Williams and Jojo for sure and likely without Daniels, how is the run D in 2022? Hoping the late season reps for Hutmacher/Gifford/Gunnerson/Farmer pay off, those guys need to make some strides before next year.

#4 #6 and #9 gave more effort trying to get out of the way, or engaging in WRs on running plays,  then trying to tackle Allen and Goodson.  It was awful. The DLine and LBs needed help and got none.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

I seriously would put those specific losses on the offense.

I made an in-depth write-up about the Minnesota game. Even though we let them rack up 396 yards, their offense only put up 28 points. Meanwhile, Culp missed a PAT, missed a FG (even though he hit a 50 yarder), our offense got safety'd, and Yant tripped on that 4th & goal on the 1 where we should have scored - or at least kicked a FG on that play instead.

Oh for sure.  But the defense did them no favors.  It was a collective loss with all 3 teams (Off/Def/ST).  And a nightmare.