Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If this happens, I think it will be because of his health and not because Sims is a better passer.

I agree that the injury plays a major role.  However, Sims athletic ability makes him legit competition to take the starting spot even if CT is healthy - which he won't be during spring.          

• TBH 2

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If this happens, I think it will be because of his health and not because Sims is a better passer.

I'm not really expecting Sims to be a better passer.  But I'm not sure he'll be any worse either.

And I think the combination of his running ability and actually getting reps this spring will give him the better chance to be the starter.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm not really expecting Sims to be a better passer.  But I'm not sure he'll be any worse either.

And I think the combination of his running ability and actually getting reps this spring will give him the better chance to be the starter.

This is an example of what I'm talking about with his passing.  He literally doesn't throw anything more than maybe 15 yards down field.  

We have speed at WR to stretch the field.  Doing so, will open up way more of the offense.  If we have a QB that can't throw more than 15 yards down the field, I don't believe he's going to be as good as a QB we know can do that fairly well.

One reason why our other QBs currently on the team weren't as successful as Casey, was because of this issue.

I know this is against Clemson.  But, I've seen similar clips showing the same thing against lesser opponents.  

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is an example of what I'm talking about with his passing.  He literally doesn't throw anything more than maybe 15 yards down field.  

We have speed at WR to stretch the field.  Doing so, will open up way more of the offense.  If we have a QB that can't throw more than 15 yards down the field, I don't believe he's going to be as good as a QB we know can do that fairly well.

One reason why our other QBs currently on the team weren't as successful as Casey, was because of this issue.

I know this is against Clemson.  But, I've seen similar clips showing the same thing against lesser opponents.  

That is kind of drawing a lot of conclusions from not a lot of information.  There are a ton of variables including what the OC likes to do and what WRs they have to work with.  I'm not sure you can look at a couple of clips and say he can't throw deep.

Last year Thompson threw 52 passes deeper than 20 yards out of 278 total attempts (18.7%).  Sims threw deep 26 times out of 188 total attempts (13.8%).  Sims would have to have taken about one more deep shot per game to get to the same percentage.  That can easily be just the difference in the OC calling more deep shots or Thompson having the fastest WR in the draft to try those deep shots to.

I don't see that as a concern.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That is kind of drawing a lot of conclusions from not a lot of information.  There are a ton of variables including what the OC likes to do and what WRs they have to work with.  I'm not sure you can look at a couple of clips and say he can't throw deep.

Last year Thompson threw 52 passes deeper than 20 yards out of 278 total attempts (18.7%).  Sims threw deep 26 times out of 188 total attempts (13.8).  Sims would have to have taken about one more deep shot per game to get to the same percentage.  That can easily be just the difference in the OC calling more deep shots or Thompson having the fastest WR in the draft to try those deep shots to.

I don't see that as a concern.

Well, I hope you're right.  In the end, I really don't care who plays QB as long as they win.  My opinion is that, if Casey was healthy, he would have the inside track to be the starter.  Since he's not completely healthy for Spring....that's up in the air.

We will see.  I'm just not that impressed with what I've seen of what Sims did at GT.  But, you are correct, the surrounding cast has a lot to do with that.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, I hope you're right.  In the end, I really don't care who plays QB as long as they win.  My opinion is that, if Casey was healthy, he would have the inside track to be the starter.  Since he's not completely healthy for Spring....that's up in the air.

We will see.  I'm just not that impressed with what I've seen of what Sims did at GT.  But, you are correct, the surrounding cast has a lot to do with that.

And this is why CT got a bad rep last season as well bc the supporting cast didn't do enough.  The line didn't give him time to throw and not enough of a run game to keep defenses honest.  I feel like CT is the better passer but JS is the better runner so the coaches have to decide on how to juggle both quarterbacks and have enough supporting cast around them in order to not get hurt and not feel like they are carrying the load of the team on their shoulders.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
12 hours ago, Mavric said:

So you only want to hear about things that he did well or could have gone better and ignore anything to the contrary.  Up to you I guess.

You are so all over the board on this that it's hard to keep up.

Simply stated an opinion contradictory towards yours - I even acknowledged the fact we don’t agree, you doubled down with some subjective opinion what a TE could or could not repeat - a pure logical fallacy. 

It appears as though, in this case, you don’t acknowledge other people have difference in opinion and take exception when presented with facts that you choose to ignore.

For future reference, do I need your permission to provide my own opinion?

You either die the hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Pretty amusing and predictable to see folks who were beyond ready to be glad Martinez was gone now offer all of the classic defensive arguments in favor of Casey.

Casey isn't awful but he's not great either. Folks who are still incredibly high on him and defending him due to factors outside of his control are, I think, operating with some selective memory of just how frequently he really wasn't all that on the money as a passer.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
56 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Simply stated an opinion contradictory towards yours - I even acknowledged the fact we don’t agree, you doubled down with some subjective opinion what a TE could or could not repeat - a pure logical fallacy. 

I don't think you understand what a logical fallacy is.

It appears as though, in this case, you don’t acknowledge other people have difference in opinion and take exception when presented with facts that you choose to ignore.

I can and always have.

I haven't ignored any facts.  Interesting claim in as you are insisting on having differences of opinion.

For future reference, do I need your permission to provide my own opinion?

That would be preferable, yes.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

With our offensive line, someone who can get the ball out fast and complete short throws might be exactly what we need. It won't open up the run game. Defensively,  stack the box and keep everyone within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage and you're good. It took Casey and Trey, half the season last year to get in sync, but once they did, it was a thing of beauty. Martinez and Toure never really did find their rhythm. We need to stretch the field, hopefully we can continue to stretch the field. 

25 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

With our offensive line, someone who can get the ball out fast and complete short throws might be exactly what we need. It won't open up the run game. Defensively,  stack the box and keep everyone within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage and you're good. It took Casey and Trey, half the season last year to get in sync, but once they did, it was a thing of beauty. Martinez and Toure never really did find their rhythm. We need to stretch the field, hopefully we can continue to stretch the field. 

You seem to have one opinion at the beginning of this paragraph and another at the end.

If we have a QB that is accurate with short passes but can't throw long, we aren't going to be able to stretch the field.  We are going to have speed at WR to do that.  We need a QB to get them the ball.  Our O line last year was good enough to allow Trey time to get down field.  The O line needs to keep improving on that.

• Plus1 2

A QB like Sims in my opinion almost always only pairs well with a really strong power running game. Meaning that your line blocks well and then you have a running back workhorse. Do we have that right now?

"Absolutely not" to the line, and "maybe" to the running back in terms of Anthony Grant.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Undone said:

A QB like Sims in my opinion almost always only pairs well with a really strong power running game. Meaning that your line blocks well and then you have a running back workhorse. Do we have that right now?

"Absolutely not" to the line, and "maybe" to the running back in terms of Anthony Grant.

I tend to think of QBs like Sims as being able to make up for some deficiencies in the running game and on the offensive line.  Of course all QBs would be better with a solid rushing attack but I would rather have a dual threat at QB if I have concerns with my line.   

28 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I tend to think of QBs like Sims as being able to make up for some deficiencies in the running game and on the offensive line.  Of course all QBs would be better with a solid rushing attack but I would rather have a dual threat at QB if I have concerns with my line.   

Often times these dual threat QB's are actually only single threat; they're only a threat with their legs. And I tend to feel like Sims is that kind of guy.

I think the body of evidence shows that when a Nebraska team (or any team) has the single threat guy, the way teams play us is by heavily blitzing and spying the QB. And my opinion is that it hasn't gone well. Part of it is on the line, but that's what we're talking about. We're talking about which QB gives us the best chance at success for 2023.

And my gut says it isn't Sims.

• Plus1 3